Practice Today

KoachKrab127

After warm-ups, the team started with RB drills, 3 on 2. One o-lineman vs. one d-lineman. Then, about 5 yards deeper, one LB vs. one fullback or TE. This was the most intense part of practice. Coach Wilcox loves this drill. He was really getting into it, as were the players.

Next, the team practiced 11-on-11, run plays only. The drill included all types of different run plays, but ONLY runs. The QBs and the RBs rotated on nearly every play. The defense and o-line rotated every 3 plays. The RBs looked impressive during this drill. Every time Lane touches the ball, he makes something happen. This is the first time I've seen him, and he really impressed me. He reminds me of Derrick Tinsley, the way they both always seem to get either a TD or a first down whenever they touch the ball (of course Fulmer never gave the ball to Tinsley enough, but that's a completely different story).

After 11-on-11, the teams separated into position groups. QBs, the RBs and WRs did some 7-on-7 while linemen did some pass-rush work on the other field. Bray was extremely accurate during 7-on-7. He was amazing. Simms held the ball too long (surprise surprise) and threw into double coverage multiple times. Hunter plays with lots of intensity. Him and Bray connected several times during this segment of practice. Hunter did fumble at one point during this drill, but he quickly pounced on the ball. I liked that hustle coming from him. Reacting quickly like that during a practice tells me he'll do even better during a game.

Next, various players rotated in and out of their position drills to practice kickoff returns. Mainly Hunter, Da'Rick, and Lane were returning kicks. The coaches seemed to be focusing on initial blocks during this drill, as it was only 3-on-3. I didn't see any punting practice today. The team was using the launcher to field the kicks, also. I did get to see the special teams practice extra points about 10 times. Palardy had absolutely no problems here. He split every kick, and the ball had a high trajectory (THANK GOODNESS, NO MORE 30 DEGREE LINCOLN!)

Finally, the team did a mini-scrimmage. Bray worked with the first team, of course. Simms with the 2nd team, and I believe Worley worked with the 3rd team. Nash took a few snaps also. They were practicing various down situations. Basically, the offense tried to get a first down. After 3 downs, the teams would rotate. After the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams completed a rotation, the coaches would move the ball to a different spot, eventually getting into orange zone and goaline territory. Once again, Lane was really impressive during this drill. He broke several tackles during one short reception and took it to the house...about a 40 yard TD. His cutting ability is exceptional, and he is very decisive. This guy really has the potential to be something special. Bray did okay during this scrimmage. He was much better and more accurate during the 7-on-7, but he still made quite a few good throws.

I attended several practices when Kiffin was here, and this was the first Dooley practice I have seen. The Kiffin practices were extremely intense and involved LOTS of jawing from both the coaches and the players. Dooley practice was very different, but not in a bad way. First of all, Dooley likes to rotate drills about every 5 minutes. Everything moves much more quickly with Dooley. Kiffin tended to make his drills last much longer. I have never been a football coach, so I have no idea which method is better. Basically, Dooley has lots of different drills while Kiffin focused mostly on scrimmaging. I see Dooley's team as an extremely focused and strategic while I saw Kiffin's team as extremely high energy and "raw-raw. " Kiffin seemed to encourage smack talk and max competition while Dooley seems to focus on details . There was absolutely no smack talk at practice today.

That's about it. If there's anything else specific that you'd like to know, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

:salute:

Wow, good stuff. Any of the newcomers catching your eye on defense (or TE)? Having a couple fill gaps would be huge.

Wow, good stuff. Any of the newcomers catching your eye on defense (or TE)? Having a couple fill gaps would be huge.

The guy that stood out on defense was Jacques Smith. He made quite a few big plays. Everytime I saw a big defensive play, #55 was always the main contributor. Also, Daniel Hood is a lot faster than I thought he'd be. He was impressive during pass-rush drills. I really didn't notice any newcomers on D though. I was mostly paying attention to the offense.

You da man, Krab!
Thanks for the overview. Really good things to hear all around.

Do you remember how the linemen looked in their drills?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

You da man, Krab!
Thanks for the overview. Really good things to hear all around.

Do you remember how the linemen looked in their drills?

The O-line held their own most of the time against the d-line. You could tell both groups were working really hard though.

It was a really fun practice to watch. I don't know much about coaching football, but I thought I saw a great practice, and Dooley said so afterwards, so I guess I was right. :)

And no, Jack. I didn't notice who the starting LBs were. Like I said, I was mostly paying attention to the offense, and I don't know most players' numbers. If I get to see practice again, I'll bring a roster with me next time.

Thanks for the update!

Specifically who would you say is our best O-lineman right now?

screw the offense we wanna hear about the D! thanks for the update
:)

LOL...the majority of practice I paid attention to the skill players. If I get to see another practice, I will definitely focus on the linemen and the defense. :p

Hell of a breakdown, thanks for the info.

Koach,
How did Poole and Neal look? Did Neal get a lot of receiver looks? Was Tom Smith noticeable at all?

VN Store

Back