Making the Jump - Xbox to PS4

Which game should I start with when I switch to PS4?

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Spiderman

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • God of War

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Red Dead 2

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

tweezervol

Once the holidays roll around and prices are good, I'm pulling the trigger and getting a PS4 pro. The exclusives over the last year are too much to resist. But, I dont know which game to start with.

I usually only play one game at a time since I play infrequently and jumping from one game to another messes me up when I have to get used to different controls, especially if I'm further along in the game where things are more challenging.

Based on what's out there between now and Thanksgiving, here's what I'm considering. Curious what everyone thinks I should start with.

For reference, my favorite games over the last several years have been The Division, Diablo III, Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey.

• Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Uncharted 4
  • Spiderman
  • God of War
  • Red Dead 2

I voted Uncharted 4 but all are great! Another one I would pick up if I was you is Last of Us Remastered.

Reactions: tweezervol
Doom 3. Still love that game.
Diablo III is great too. Lots of re-play-ability.
Uncharted 4 is a blast too. I just got tired of the cut-scenes on it and the gameplay wasn't very hard. It was more of a playable movie than a game.

Hearing great things about Spiderman. Not enough to make me buy a PS4, but still.

I haven’t played Spider-Man yet but Uncharted 4, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn are all must owns. Personally I would start with God of War but they all should be a part of your library eventually.

LOL if the incredible library that PS4 offers doesn’t impress you enough to buy one, it ain’t ever happening.
I could have gone PS4, but all of my friends play on Xbox. I have enough of a back log with it, and I don't get to play as much as some.

I could have gone PS4, but all of my friends play on Xbox. I have enough of a back log with it, and I don't get to play as much as some.
Between more friends with Xbox and the 4K ability (movie wise) made it an easy decision for me

This is my situation. All my friends are on Xbox and I don't have time to play all the PS4 exclusives. Plus I'm a sucker for Halo.

I'll probably start with God if War. I have a 20% off used coupon at gamestop, so I might go ahead and snag it now before the coupon expires.

Appreciate all the responses and votes!!

Other than games, what other things should I be aware of when I make the switch?

Any major differences in online access, UI, or anything else?

Other than games, what other things should I be aware of when I make the switch?

Any major differences in online access, UI, or anything else?
I've heard the online service with PS4 isn't very good, but that's just hearsay.

I've heard the online service with PS4 isn't very good, but that's just hearsay.

LOL that is totally hearsay. I've had much better experiences with PSN than I have with XBox live. I use my PS4 as much as a streaming box (Netflix, Hulu etc) as I do a gaming system and the only times I have ever had an issue is when it's been a local internet outage (which is extremely rare) or a PSN outage (which is even extremely-er rarer).

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
LOL that is totally hearsay. I've had much better experiences with PSN than I have with XBox live. I use my PS4 as much as a streaming box (Netflix, Hulu etc) as I do a gaming system and the only times I have ever had an issue is when it's been a local internet outage (which is extremely rare) or a PSN outage (which is even extremely-er rarer).
Cool. That actually sounds like my experience with Xbox Live.

I think a lot of it is carry over from the PS3 era when PSN wasn't very good at all. It's a stigma that unfortunately has followed PSN into the current generation. The truth is PSN is a perfectly good, completely serviceable network. I've been gaming on it since the beginning of this generation and I've had very little trouble with it. Is it better than Live? Probably not. Live has been around for a whole generation longer than PSN (started on the OG Xbox) and MS has had more time to tweak it to add more "quality of life" bells and whistles. PSN is more stripped down but it gets the job done. Though full discretion, I would consider myself as a hardcore single player, narrative focused gamer first and a casual online player second. However I have logged in countless online hours on games like Destiny, The Last of Us, Friday the 13th, DC Universe Online, Street Fighter V, SW Battlefront, GT Sport, etc and its all worked great. My son plays Fortnite obsessively on PSN and its never given him issues.

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is carry over from the PS3 era when PSN wasn't very good at all. It's a stigma that unfortunately has followed PSN into the current generation. The truth is PSN is a perfectly good, completely serviceable network. I've been gaming on it since the beginning of this generation and I've had very little trouble with it. Is it better than Live? Probably not. Live has been around for a whole generation longer than PSN (started on the OG Xbox) and MS has had more time to tweak it to add more "quality of life" bells and whistles. PSN is more stripped down but it gets the job done. Though full discretion, I would consider myself as a hardcore single player, narrative focused gamer first and a casual online player second. However I have logged in countless online hours on games like Destiny, The Last of Us, Friday the 13th, DC Universe Online, Street Fighter V, SW Battlefront, GT Sport, etc and its all worked great. My son plays Fortnite obsessively on PSN and its never given him issues.

I think you're right. PSN sucked butt in the first generation or two. That's probably where most of the agro comes from for people.

IMO these are the must haves for PSVR...

Resident Evil 7 VR - Survival Horror
Skyrim VR - RPG
GT Sport - Racing Sim
Eve: Valkyrie - Space Combat
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Platforming
Super Hot - Shooter/Puzzle
Moss - Platformer/Puzzle
Farpoint - Sci Fi First Person Shooter (Gun peripheral is a must for this one)
Wipeout Omega Collection VR - Combat Racing
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - On-rails horror shooter
Firewall Zero Hour - First person Shooter

Last edited:
Reactions: tweezervol
IMO PSVR will go the way 3D gaming did. I would definitely not invest in it at this point and would wait to see if it can do what 3D gaming couldn't which is have improvements without increased costs to the consumer. JMO

IMO PSVR will go the way 3D gaming did. I would definitely not invest in it at this point and would wait to see if it can do what 3D gaming couldn't which is have improvements without increased costs to the consumer. JMO

I was highly skeptical of the tech until I tried it out myself. Resident Evil 7 made a believer out of me. It's terrifying as hell in VR. The tech may not be quite ready yet for prime time, but it's potential is enormous. MUCH higher than 3D. I do believe the product has to get smaller, it has to get wireless, it has to get better, and it has to get cheaper. All of those things will eventually happen. The way I look at it, VR in it's current form is like the "Atari 2600" of VR. However give it 5-10 more years. It will get there eventually. However the potential applications (not just gaming) are huge for VR.

I was highly skeptical of the tech until I tried it out myself. Resident Evil 7 made a believer out of me. It's terrifying as hell in VR. The tech may not be quite ready yet for prime time, but it's potential is enormous. MUCH higher than 3D. I do believe the product has to get smaller, it has to get wireless, it has to get better, and it has to get cheaper. All of those things will eventually happen. The way I look at it, VR in it's current form is like the "Atari 2600" of VR. However give it 5-10 more years. It will get there eventually. However the potential applications (not just gaming) are huge for VR.
Not sure how you came up with that comparison

VN Store

Back