5 reasons USC is the most important game on our remaining schedule.

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
1. Rebound - we need to reverse the negativity of the Bama loss or this could turn into a losing skid and a missed bowl opportunity.

2. Muschamp - We owe him. According to ESPN's FPI it is our least winnable game. I am sure no small part of that could be attributed to the fact the Vols have never beaten Muschamp as a HC.

3. Recruits - The Carolina's are the most fertile recruiting grounds of our remaining games. Recruits got the memo that Pruitt has playing time last week loud and clear, but they need to believe they aren't signing a 4 year mission trip to the worst team in the east.

4. No place like home - While we all love Neyland our guys have had their best performances outside it's confines so far. Judging from the attendance for the TSIO fans are looking for some motivation to show up for the remaining games on the slate too.

5. It's the next game.

If I were to add a sixth reason this game is the most important game left on our schedule-

#6 . If I were to rank the toughness of the last five games on our schedule from hardest to easiest

1. Missouri - We honestly don't match up well with them. They occasionally have a choke game or two thrown in, but when they don't choke, they are very West Virginia-esque.
2. Kentucky- A tougher defense than they are getting credit for, but if you can stop the run and get a little pressure on their QB, you can keep them off the scoreboard at least. Easier said than done as it's only happened once this season.
3. South Carolina- it's on the road, it's a coach we haven't beaten yet, they are coming off of a bye week, we are shaking off a bad loss... Plus you don't know which Jake Bentley will show up, but he should have confidence as he's rocked our potatoes for two years in a row.
4. Vanderbilt- It's on the road, and they gave Florida a good run for their money before falling apart at the end.
5. Charlotte- If all else fails, there shouldn't be a way to lose this game. Even if we play third string guys the whole game.

With that order in mind.. we are 3-4. We gotta win three of these games in order to get the extra football practices associated with a bowl game. We desperately need the extra practices, and we could desperately use a bowl game to give us one last boost headed into the final weeks of recruiting. Losing to South Carolina means we have to beat someone tougher than them to get to a bowl game, and our only "get well" game is the Charlotte game after this one. Getting to our last three games at 5-4 mentally is a lot better than being 4-5

We can win this if we start KC. Otherwise JG is going to hold the ball too long for more strip sacks and injuries.

1. Rebound - we need to reverse the negativity of the Bama loss or this could turn into a losing skid and a missed bowl opportunity.

2. Muschamp - We owe him. According to ESPN's FPI it is our least winnable game. I am sure no small part of that could be attributed to the fact the Vols have never beaten Muschamp as a HC.

3. Recruits - The Carolina's are the most fertile recruiting grounds of our remaining games. Recruits got the memo that Pruitt has playing time last week loud and clear, but they need to believe they aren't signing a 4 year mission trip to the worst team in the east.

4. No place like home - While we all love Neyland our guys have had their best performances outside it's confines so far. Judging from the attendance for the TSIO fans are looking for some motivation to show up for the remaining games on the slate too.

5. It's the next game.

Your #5 is the only reason it's the most important game left on the schedule. After Saturday, the Charlotte game will be the most important game left on the schedule. South Carolina is not the reason we've struggled recruiting in the Carolinas. There's that team about 2 hours NW of Columbia. The reason we've struggled at home is that two of those 4 have been against Florida and Alabama. IMO, we've had one good performance on the road and one good performance at home this year. I don't really care about Muschamp. If I were him, I'd be getting Tennessee this year because if things go the way a lot of us believe, it might be his last success against the Vols for a long time. That said, I hope we destroy the pecking hens this weekend.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Pruitt vs Muschamp should be a great matchup. Will be interesting to see if the HC/DC role Pruitt plays vs Muschamp just being HC has any affect.

Reactions: Weezer
Lmao. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head.

Great post OP, and I'd agree with your order.

I haven’t advocated for either guy all season and have personally preferred JG to help build for 2019 and 2020. However, these last games are critical to the season. Every move will determine bowl eligibility.

JG can’t read a simple blitz while KC can at least get rid of the ball quickly. Muschamp will dial up all sorts of blitzes and give JG trouble all day. It could be another UF and Bama type start for JG and we’re down 2 or 3 TDs before the 1st quarter is over.

We have a better chance at success with KC in this one.

I feel like we win this game, we are going bowling. I know you shouldn't count one before its played but Charlotte shouldn't even keep it close. That'll be 5 wins. Missouri, Kentucky, and Vandy, are all beatable teams. Kentucky does not have an offense, they're good on defense but they don't have much of an air game on offense to compliment Snell. Pruitt may get a second victory over a ranked team this year, but get this one at home. Missouri is a tougher matchup because they are better than the other two teams left in conference play all the way around. Either way 5-7,6-6, or 7-5. I'm going to ths be happy because we've seen improvement.

We can win this if we start KC. Otherwise JG is going to hold the ball too long for more strip sacks and injuries.

Don’t think he should start if JG is healthy. JG showed what he can do at Auburn and hasn’t done enough to lose the job yet. However, he should be on a short leash. Too much is at stake

I feel like we win this game, we are going bowling. I know you shouldn't count one before its played but Charlotte shouldn't even keep it close. That'll be 5 wins. Missouri, Kentucky, and Vandy, are all beatable teams. Kentucky does not have an offense, they're good on defense but they don't have much of an air game on offense to compliment Snell. Pruitt may get a second victory over a ranked team this year, but get this one at home. Missouri is a tougher matchup because they are better than the other two teams left in conference play all the way around. Either way 5-7,6-6, or 7-5. I'm going to ths be happy because we've seen improvement.

Man, if we go 7-5, I'm going to sh*t a brick (then promptly mail it to Lyle).

Don’t think he should start if JG is healthy. JG showed what he can do at Auburn and hasn’t done enough to lose the job yet. However, he should be on a short leash. Too much is at stake

That definitely makes sense I just worry that JG isn’t healthy. Bruised ribs and/or tender collarbone gives me pause. I don’t have my wagon hitched to either QB but for this game, considering JG may not be 100%, I think KC could deserve a start.

Just for fun, tell me where he is wrong in what he posted.

He can't be proven right or wrong , because KC won't get the start. There is no QB controversy.

JG was the highest rated player at any position in the country 2 weeks ago against Auburn on the road. He is quite the opposite of the issue on offense.

He can't be proven right or wrong , because KC won't get the start. There is no QB controversy.

JG was the highest rated player at any position in the country 2 weeks ago against Auburn on the road. He is quite the opposite of the issue on offense.

Not sure how you know who is starting. No one said anything about a controversy. Like Jack said, he may be banged up just enough for Pruitt to start KC. I'm not saying that's the case, but its possible.

As I've said time and time again, I don't have a favorite, I just want whoever gives us the best shot at winning. After the Bama loss and JG getting hurt, I don't think starting KC would be a bad thing.

Because SC isn’t very good and they’re beatable. If UT can win at Auburn, no way they can’t win v SC.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe

Ky won’t be ranked when we play them after they lose to Missouri and Georgia.

VN Store

Back