Where Did The Gruden Lovers Go?

Would’ve been a rock star hire and would’ve landed elite recruits immediately. Development and teaching at the college level would’ve been the unknown factor and I think we hired the better fit in that department.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
That's hilarious. I guess not everyone in the Raider-nation is a fan.
I have speculated that perhaps Gruden is still pissed that he got traded to Tampa so he is taking a HUGE payday and intentionally running the franchise into the ground. Either that or the dude is crazy like a fox and has some grand plan that will set the Raiders up to be dominant for a decade, but requires a year or two of total suckage to make it work.

Depending on how they draft with those 3 first rounders, I would say he has done a pretty good job in starting the rebuild there. Needs to get rid of that stupid Carr contract though.

Reactions: SandoVOL
He better nail the draft or he loses all credibility. I doubt many of the players trust him anymore.
That roster was garbage before he got there. You are right though, if he doesn't nail this draft and next years, they will hate him. Not sure what his buyout is, but I think its the same price you would have to pay to buy the state of New Mexico.

That roster was garbage before he got there. You are right though, if he doesn't nail this draft and next years, they will hate him. Not sure what his buyout is, but I think its the same price you would have to pay to buy the state of New Mexico.
I watched a report yesterday and one of the guys said he had solid info that there is no out. It's Gruden for 10 years or until he quits.

I watched a report yesterday and one of the guys said he had solid info that there is no out. It's Gruden for 10 years or until he quits.
Every single contract has some sort of out. How much you have to pay for that out is a different story.

I’m here. I’ve already expressed I’m glad he’s in Oakland and not our coach. Not based on anything but his decision making with Mack and Cooper. However, since I made that thread, I realize those weren’t “as bad” as it initially appeared and could turn out okay. Also, I think Gruden as a college coach would’ve been totally different than Gruden as an NFL coach.
Still satisfied with the coaching job JP has done thus far. He’s got to win in recruiting and win an even bigger game next year for me to be all in.

Either way, I’ll always wonder what Gruden would’ve and could’ve done here. Guess we’ll never know.

Depending on how they draft with those 3 first rounders, I would say he has done a pretty good job in starting the rebuild there. Needs to get rid of that stupid Carr contract though.
He traded talented players to teams that needed them for the next step. Turning them into multiple lower picks would show he’s learned that game like Belichick and Jimmy Johnson before him.

He traded talented players to teams that needed them for the next step. Turning them into multiple lower picks would show he’s learned that game like Belichick and Jimmy Johnson before him.

Do you really think Gruden told Davis when he was being hired, "hey man I am gonna gut the franchise. I am gonna get rid of a lot of these guys from the previous staff so I can do a 3-5 year rebuild. But I still want 10 million a year?" Also, do you think Davis just said sure Jon take your time we will gladly pay you 30-40 million for very little return?

Reactions: 508mikey
Clay Travis of Outkick the Coverage said if a guy is a troublemaker, lockeroom cancer, goat at his position, nice guy whatever....a huge raise is just gonna intensify what he already is.

They are getting ready for the 2020 Vegas premier.

This year and next year mean nothing to them.

The Vegas tourist alone will fill the stadium.

This is all about making sure they are a contender by then. Oakland years mean nothing to them anymore.

Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie (father of former Vol Kahlil McKenzie) just fired.

Big shock there. Gruden wants control. I think Gruden is behind the trading of their players over the last several months and not GM Reggie McKenzie. He wants the Raiders to be HIS team. He doesn't want credit to go to McKenzie and he doesn't want to be subject to McKenzie. He wants to bring his own GM in who is basically a puppet. Or else not have a separate GM. That's my take anyway.

I'm curious to see what happens in the next couple years. The Raiders are actually in a decent position. Carr isn't ready, and despite experience, he's still young and should improve. If they had kept Mack, they probably would be doomed to 6-8 win seasons for the next 4 or 5 years.

Carr's development might perfectly time up with the 3 first round picks next year, plus they have a lot of cap room. If I'm them, I only look for bargains this offseason in FA and save that cap room for the next year of FA while tanking* for better picks. Get your young guys experience in 2019, add another good draft class, and go all in. Carr's cap hit actually comes down for the rest of the contract, and if he's not working out by then, just cut him and the cap hit is only $5M.

*Not tanking per se, but just don't spend money trying to build a good 2019 roster.

I'm curious to see what happens in the next couple years. The Raiders are actually in a decent position. Carr isn't ready, and despite experience, he's still young and should improve. If they had kept Mack, they probably would be doomed to 6-8 win seasons for the next 4 or 5 years.

Carr's development might perfectly time up with the 3 first round picks next year, plus they have a lot of cap room. If I'm them, I only look for bargains this offseason in FA and save that cap room for the next year of FA while tanking* for better picks. Get your young guys experience in 2019, add another good draft class, and go all in. Carr's cap hit actually comes down for the rest of the contract, and if he's not working out by then, just cut him and the cap hit is only $5M.

*Not tanking per se, but just don't spend money trying to build a good 2019 roster.

It seem pretty certain they are building to try and have a good team for the first Las Vegas season

VN Store

Back