I seem to be the only one concerned about Guards

Bone & Daniels combined to average 42mpg, and both primarily played PG so it was very rare anyone was handling PG duties other than those 2. The best scenario for this team would be that Bone has taken another step forward and can give a good 30mpg each night leaving Turner or Bowden only 10 or so minutes at PG.
Sure but Daniels played offball often and our PG don’t do much outside of bringing up half court. I would like to see our PGs create more for our shooters tbh.

Sure but Daniels played offball often and our PG don’t do much outside of bringing up half court. I would like to see our PGs create more for our shooters tbh.
We were top 30 nationally in assists per game, the bulk of which case from Bone/Daniel/Turner so I think they created more than you’re giving credit for.

to me, this is our biggest potential weakness. An injury, or foul trouble could get us in serious trouble at guard.

We were top 30 nationally in assists per game, the bulk of which case from Bone/Daniel/Turner so I think they created more than you’re giving credit for.
Probably means more in terms of dribble drive. Turner seems to be more of an alpha with the ball. Bone, not being a huge scorer needs to create more. I think he takes a step this year.

Probably means more in terms of dribble drive. Turner seems to be more of an alpha with the ball. Bone, not being a huge scorer needs to create more. I think he takes a step this year.

Bone ranked 8th in the conference in APG, however he’s the only guy in the Top 30 who averaged under 23mpg (other than his teammate James Daniel). If he played ~32mpg like the guys ahead of him and continued his same assist pace he would’ve averaged around 5apg which would be good for Top 5 in the league.

I agree Bone has room for improvement, but I do think his ability to create is a bit underrated and our offense definitely isn’t Bone bringing the ball up the court and then standing in the corner as was kind of implied, our guards do create.

He took a step last year in creating and I expect him to take another step this too. But he’s got a small margin of error between being aggressive and helping and being over aggressive and getting into foul trouble.imo If he can find that in between and be consistent with it, they can have a special year.

I just noticed that Bone was named to the preseason Bob Cousy Award watch list (that’s a mouthful!). Do they know something that we don’t know?

I just noticed that Bone was named to the preseason Bob Cousy Award watch list (that’s a mouthful!). Do they know something that we don’t know?

He’s been a starter since he arrived on campus, started every game at PG and led Tennessee to a historical season last year and is the starting PG of a Top 10 preseason team this year...that’s the kind of attention you get when your team has that kind of success and you are the floor general of said team.

Reactions: Lefteye
Bone's elite quickness allows him to drive to the rim almost at will. If he can finish at the rim at an elite level then his chance to drive and dish to an open shooter will increase dramatically.

Reactions: cncchris33
Bone's elite quickness allows him to drive to the rim almost at will. If he can finish at the rim at an elite level then his chance to drive and dish to an open shooter will increase dramatically.
Agree. If all SEC PGs were assigned a price point right now, I think Jordan Bone could potentially deliver the highest ROI by season’s end based on what his cost would be before the season. On a team of rather unheralded stars, he may be the most underrated from a pure talent perspective. He needs to work on adding some arc to his shot and being more aggressive/selfish, but those are fixable.

Agree. If all SEC PGs were assigned a price point right now, I think Jordan Bone could potentially deliver the highest ROI by season’s end based on what his cost would be before the season. On a team of rather unheralded stars, he may be the most underrated from a pure talent perspective. He needs to work on adding some arc to his shot and being more aggressive/selfish, but those are fixable.

Yeah, I’ve always thought he has tons of potential.

His speed with the ball reminds me of Ty Lawson. Just has to start put it to use more often.

Yeah, I’ve always thought he has tons of potential.

His speed with the ball reminds me of Ty Lawson. Just has to start put it to use more often.
Yeah, his tendency to defer and outright disappear at points is mildly concerning. He could be more effective and it could positively affect his team by being more selfish, which you don’t get to say often. CJ Watson was that way for a while too.

Bone ranked 8th in the conference in APG, however he’s the only guy in the Top 30 who averaged under 23mpg (other than his teammate James Daniel). If he played ~32mpg like the guys ahead of him and continued his same assist pace he would’ve averaged around 5apg which would be good for Top 5 in the league.

I agree Bone has room for improvement, but I do think his ability to create is a bit underrated and our offense definitely isn’t Bone bringing the ball up the court and then standing in the corner as was kind of implied, our guards do create.
They do create for our shooters and post players, no doubt at all. It’s just our offense utilizes the flex/pick and roll, and so a lot of assists come from dumping the ball to GW/Admiral on the block. Our transition offense can be very solid too.

VN Store

Back