So has Auburn fell off this year or are we getting that good?

volberry

Because you can't beat Bama and UGA last year and get beat 3 times the next year and it's halfway in the season. They have 3 more losses coming. Either way I'm proud of the VOLS!!!

Because you can't beat Bama and UGA last year and get beat 3 times the next year and it's halfway in the season. They have 3 more losses coming. Either way I'm proud of the VOLS!!!

If the highlights and video I've watched are any indication, we're getting much better. Which makes me feel better after being volatile and angry all start of the season.

Either way, it doesn't matter. This win was a confidence booster for the team- now they believe.

I was shocked we were in the game at half. And then when we took the lead I lost my mind. But Auburn looked the worst I've seen under Gus.

If the highlights and video I've watched are any indication, we're getting much better. Which makes me feel better after being volatile and angry all start of the season.

Either way, it doesn't matter. This win was a confidence booster for the team- now they believe.
YEP!!!

Auburn is overrated and playing worse as the season is going on. Having said that, it's still a big win for Tennessee. That's only our 3rd win as a road underdog since 2008, our first win over an SEC West team since 2010, our first win over Auburn since 1999, and our first win at Jordan-Hare since 1998.

Auburn is pretty clearly better than Tennessee on paper but we outplayed them, which looked really unlikely just a few weeks ago. We made mistakes but overall looked well-coached and prepared to play. Auburn is a weird team to figure out, if they don't get absolutely stellar (not simply good, but near-superhuman) QB play, they don't reach anywhere close to their potential even if the rest of the offense and defense are good.

its more of us getting better and a little bit of them getting worse

Auburn has issues on offense but their defense is really good. We simply whooped the hell out of their stellar secondary and our pass protection was better than it has been all year. I couldn't believe that Auburn continued to try and cover our WRs with so much cover one man coverage when we were owning their corners.

While Auburn isnt a very good TEAM it is still very impressive what this battered and inexperienced OL did against one of the best front 7s in passing, and Aubies secondary is good too. Auburns woes are on offense, so get excited all you want about the offensive improvement and potential.
As far as the defense goes, what you CAN be impressed with is the 2nd half turnaround. I believe half of the yards Aubie gained in the 2nd half was on their last drive when the game was pretty much over. So gdt excited about the adjustments too. Really, they looked pretty good against UGA in the 2nd half until there at the end.
Theres a lot to be concerned about but dont let anyone dismiss this win. It was also crucial timing and on the road. They answered the bell and appear to have turned a corner, even if it's small.

Reactions: knox73
Auburn has issues on offense but their defense is really good. We simply whooped the hell out of their stellar secondary and our pass protection was better than it has been all year. I couldn't believe that Auburn continued to try and cover our WRs with so much cover one man coverage when we were owning their corners.
I just hope Helton learned from this and we keep throwing the damn ball. JG is good and our WRs are even better. Let them play, open the run with the pass.

both. they had opportunities to build on their lead, and either didn't (the long pass they over threw) or we made a play to preven it from getting built up (bryce thompos pbu in the end zone forcing a fg).

that game went like a lot of upsets go....we got some help from them, and we did things we haven't seen us do as far as making plays goes.

so the answer is both.

I just hope Helton learned from this and we keep throwing the damn ball. JG is good and our WRs are even better. Let them play, open the run with the pass.
I hope so too. If Bama counts on their secondary being able to shut down our passing game and stacks the box he is going to have to go deep to move the ball. I just hope they don't get conservative. The good news is that Pruitt will roll the dice to win. I think we will need to some 4th down conversations to stay competitive this week and Pruitt has no problem going for it.

Auburn pretty much lost their entire offensive line from last year. They also lost their power runner in Pettway.

I think it is a good mix of both here. Regardless of the score, UT stepped up their defense against UGA as the game went on. Pruitt is the first UT coach in a long time that actually showed positive results from a bye week. Very refreshing.

Reactions: tbh and keithpowers
What you said.

I hope so too. If Bama counts on their secondary being able to shut down our passing game and stacks the box he is going to have to go deep to move the ball. I just hope they don't get conservative. The good news is that Pruitt will roll the dice to win. I think we will need to some 4th down conversations to stay competitive this week and Pruitt has no problem going for it.
Like I said in another thread if we come out not losing by 40 this weekend, and stay healthy, I think a confident team can beat anyone left. Vandy played UF tough for a while, but we may be rolling by then and UF was coming off a tough week; USCe is worse than Auburn and hasn't been impressive; Mizzou has no defense, but I'm worried about keeping up; UK is one-dimensional; Charlotte is Charlotte. If Helton opens this up we have a passing game that is good.

I will cry tears of joy if somehow we end up 8-4.

Auburn pretty much lost their entire offensive line from last year. They also lost their power runner in Pettway.

I think it is a good mix of both here. Regardless of the score, UT stepped up their defense against UGA as the game went on. Pruitt is the first UT coach in a long time that actually showed positive results from a bye week. Very refreshing.
He can actually coach.

Reactions: lifeVol
AUs front seven is as good as there is in college football. Their offense however is going in the wrong direction

Overall it's more us than them though. Pruitt has only lost to them one time. He knew how to beat them. And it showed.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I wouldn't call their secondary stellar, but their front 7 is pretty good. They still got pressure on JG but he stood in there and made some beautiful throws, particularly the one in the corner to JJ that Auburn got the targeting penalty on. I thought the O-line played OK, which for them is more like an A++ given how dreadful they have been this year for the most part.

Some Auburn people and SEC media at large are trying to pooh-pooh this victory; that'd be a more reasonable opinion if Tennessee was ranked or had previously beaten West Virginia or Florida or something like that. Given how poorly we have played before this game, it was a great victory even if Auburn is headed in the wrong direction (which they definitely appear to be).

Both IMO. Auburn beat Washington and they have been really tough under CP. Problem is opposing teams that have seen film on Auburn have taken advantage of their weaknesses (O line in particular). Gus M. has done a horrible job of countering to the adjustments opposing teams have made.

Last edited:
Too early to tell. The next few weeks will answer the question.

There have been reports of internal problems. Defense was fuming at the QB for how he acted after one loss. Apparently he was cutting up in the locker room, which was otherwise pretty sullen.
Malzhan has not managed it well and looks pretty similar to what happened with Butch.

As long as our QB continues to throw good 50/50 deep balls and our wr's continue to catch 90% of those 50/50 balls, were gonna be ok the rest of the year.

VN Store

Back