SEC Network

SpaceCoastVol

Jacked up on moonshine and testosterone
Am I the only one that thinks the SEC network coverage of our games is awful? I don't have a theater in my house, and the camera is so far away that the players are virtually unidentifiable.

Sorry for the rant. I am watching the UTEP/UT replay and it is frustrating.

I thought it was pretty good considering. I'm not sure how much money they can afford to spend on a game like that, but my assumption is that game needs to be as cheap as you can go. I am streaming via Sling to Hi Def.

How much money they can spend on covering a sports event? I am not sure I follow your comment. They are an SEC SPORTS network. It's not like they have to broadcast the local news or Oprah. Their announcers are former players that are not playing on Sunday, so they aren't paying Peyton Manning or even Tim Tebow. But mainly I am talking about the cameras shooting from the upper deck of the stadium with a wide angle lens. Compare CBS or any other network camera to the SEC Network.

Reactions: Zues1
How much money they can spend on covering a sports event? I am not sure I follow your comment. They are an SEC SPORTS network. It's not like they have to broadcast the local news or Oprah. Their announcers are former players that are not playing on Sunday, so they aren't paying Peyton Manning or even Tim Tebow. But mainly I am talking about the cameras shooting from the upper deck of the stadium with a wide angle lens. Compare CBS or any other network camera to the SEC Network.
Spacecoast... I hear ya. I got a little different opinion though, although I agree - we got the lower tier broadcast team on this particular game.

As for me, I've been probably hitting a minimum of 4 home games a year since the 70s (would have been at this one, however my youngest sons best friend died skydiving down in Auburn a week ago - no football for me at all this weekend). I have my habits at the games. I have a good set if binoculars. I like to watch the bench - see who on the offense is huddled up and being coached while the defense is on the field, and vise versa. I like to watch the coaches of each team and how they react to the plays, or penalties. I like to watch the substitutions, the defensive schemes pre-snap, look to see how many backs are deep, where their is tight or soft coverage. etc. It's great to see the whole field sometimes on TV. One of my pet peeves on Television coverage is when they show a coach on the sideline until the play clock gets down to something like 2 seconds and then show the field, or where the QB's head takes up the whole screen for about 15 seconds. Lots of OTHER stuff going on while you are looking at that broccoli in his teeth.

I think you are right though. Seems CBS does a little better job, even if the announcers are annoying at times.

Am I the only one that thinks the SEC network coverage of our games is awful? I don't have a theater in my house, and the camera is so far away that the players are virtually unidentifiable.

I thought it was just me and my eyes.

ESPN pretty clearly doesn't bring the same amount of assets to SEC Network games (especially the noon and 4:00 games) that they do others. I get it, but the production quality is a pretty big drop off. The thing I have noticed about those games isn't as much the camera but the sound. For games on other networks, you can hear the QB calling out the snap count, the crowd, the PA announcer in the background, and the band. During that UTEP game, our band sounded like a 10-15 person band goofing off in the stands. The crowd sounds like a small (50 or so) group of people screaming, not 80k people in the stands. They just don't bring anywhere near as many mics and cameras to those games.

Remided me of the PPV games of the past

Quit your bitchin... SEC Network had all of their good equipment in Tuscalooser filming a special on Saban's lawn service company, how Bama washes their unifroms and what book in the Bible Hurts and Tug are reading together this week.

Reactions: nuclearjunky
Quit your bitchin... SEC Network had all of their good equipment in Tuscalooser filming a special on Saban's lawn service company, how Bama washes their unifroms and what book in the Bible Hurts and Tug are reading together this week.
You left out the feature video of Butch Jones polishing Saban’s Car.

Those feature stories might require 3 cameras max, but I’d actually guess two. Maybe a 5 man show max as well, with nothing more than lavalier mics. The shotgun mics alone for a marquee game probably cost more. ESPN isn’t going to spend the money for extra 4K cameras, mics locates all over the stadium, the cable runs, the personnel, etc, etc, for barely viewed games in off time slots.

^^^ all that said, I never had any problems or issues following the game or players on a basic 55” LED

It's my understanding that Tennessee currently has a losing streak to every team in the SEC. I didn't even know that was possible.

So, unless, the Vols can get off the schneid and beat the Gators today, there is going to be a lot of early kickoffs and Network games with Dari Nowkhah and Gene Chizik doing halftime commentating.

It's my understanding that Tennessee currently has a losing streak to every team in the SEC. I didn't even know that was possible.

So, unless, the Vols can get off the schneid and beat the Gators today, there is going to be a lot of early kickoffs and Network games with Dari Nowkhah and Gene Chizik doing halftime commentating.

Stfu and gtfo

Reactions: rjd970

VN Store

Back