Josiah James: My Decision

Tennessee fans have needed great news and this announcement is exactly that. I can't explain the pride that wells up when a young man describes the process of his recruitment and why he chose my Alma Mater. It says so much about the quality and character of our head coach and players.

Character! From coach and player.
I'd also like to praise the decisiveness with which Hart hired him. I've liked Barnes ever since he brought Clemson from being a nothing in the ACC to being a top-notch program. He knows his business.

Reactions: Vol4ever
Love the part about grown men hitting him up on his social media accounts. I never have understood that either.

The only problem is he will probably be a 1 and done. Wish they had to stay long in basketball but then I guess teams like Duke and Kentucky would dominate.

“Loyalty is something that goes deep with me. Relationships are everything. When we got to Tennessee for my official visit, the whole coaching staff and all the players were waiting to meet me and my family. We played pickup with some of the team one morning while the coaches were still at breakfast. Lamonte Turner was guarding me and I remember I got by him one time but I got fouled on the layup. He pulled me aside and showed me a little trick to get more space at the rim. He didn’t have to do that.

Little things like that matter to me, man.
Coach Barnes sat in the gym with me for about an hour after. When I get tired, I start to sling the ball instead of having it in the high pocket. He noticed that right away and tried to help me fix it. I swear Tennessee has the best player development in the country. What other coach will sit in the gym with me for an hour and point out my weaknesses instead of just talking me up? That really stuck out to me on my visit. It wasn’t just a show.”
1537394584454.gif

The only problem is he will probably be a 1 and done. Wish they had to stay long in basketball but then I guess teams like Duke and Kentucky would dominate.
Possibly but they couldn’t all the guys they are currently getting year in and year out. They currently have freshmen leaving each year, but if they were required to stay longer the classes they could sign each year would shrink? Thus allowing other teams to reap the benefits.

That was a very impressive letter/speech. Well-grounded and you can tell he has a great support system with his family and friends. Very impressed by this young man.

Great job finding the rain cloud on a sunny day. Geez. You always do negative???

That was an awesome read! Sounds like we landed not just a great player but a kid with his head on straight. Thanks for posting this op.

We've got a ball handler, a true point guard with maturity! The only peice we were missing last season imo, the tourney is going to be fun to watch the next few seasons.

could be, but there's some things he has to do first...get ready for big-time BB, hit the books, and do some time in the weight room...then, prove it on the court...we'll see...just glad he's a Vol...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I think there is a chance he stays 2 years. #1 NBA is going to want to see vast improvement in his shot #2 He seems mature enough to see the value in staying if his draft stock is not really high #3 I don't think he will have "family pressure" to leave based out of necessity.

Reactions: The Dog
Actually I think there is a chance he stays 2 years. #1 NBA is going to want to see vast improvement in his shot #2 He seems mature enough to see the value in staying if his draft stock is not really high #3 I don't think he will have "family pressure" to leave based out of necessity.
Agree. Not to mention wanting to experience College as long as responsibly possible.

It only matters where he would be drafted. If he's projected mid to high first round then he needs to go. Too many risks to pass an opportunity like that. I'd suspect CRB would advise him to go if he was predicted to go high enough.

Who cares if hes one and done. We are just glad to have him for the one. Heck 3/4 of Kentucky's Team are one and dones. You just reload. The facts are that Barnes has guys that want to stay 4 years and develop. Just a few weeks ago Barne's recruiting sucked, and he can't land a 5 star. Now that he landed a 5 star, its a problem when they are talented enough to leave after one. You have to get off the merry-go-round sometime. Can't keep going around in circles.

VN Store

Back