Why didn’t we hire Mark Stoops???

I promise you, if Butch had gone 7-5 or 8-4 last season he'd still be at UT...probably with an extension.
7-5 would have left him on really shaky ground. It could have gone either way. At 8-4 he absolutely would have remained, but probably not with an extension. He received an extension and a raise just a couple years before.

Everybody knew that the 2017 team had lost a lot of talent from the previous season and wasn't going to be as good. Even though people were moving towards being really fed up with Butch heading into the 2017 season most people were throwing him that bone. The horrendous nature of the 2017 season did him in but what meandered him so close to the cliff in the first place was how the 2016 season ended. I didn't think he should have been fired at this point or anything, but I started to give up on him after the South Carolina loss in 2016, then had serious doubts he'd make it beyond 2017 after the Vandy loss in 2016. It was just stunning to me how a team with that much still to play for (even a Sugar Bowl berth to play for going into that Vandy game), came out so uninspired and unprepared. Absolutely symptomatic of poor coaching.

You are absolutely correct in that Butch thought he was doing a really good job here with an 8-4 regular season and Music City Bowl win. You could tell that with various comments he made over the years. Perhaps the most amazing thing about his tenure is the fact than a professional FBS-level head football coach was at a major job and did not have a good gauge at all of what the expectations were. I think he knew that football was a bigger deal at Tennessee than anywhere else he had been, the fan/media interest was more intense, etc., but he seemingly failed to understand how that kind of stuff also comes with much higher expectations. I'll never forget that one statement he made where he said that the 2015 and 2016 seasons "were some of the best seasons in the last 20 years." Simply by definition (purely win-loss), those seasons weren't better than 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, or 2007. The 2015/16 seasons, at best, were middle of the pack type years when looking at the last 20. The fact he was unaware of this, or just lying about it, was shocking.

That's one thing I'll say about Pruitt...I have no idea if he'll be successful here yet but I guarantee you that if after 3 years the best he's done is 6-6/7-5, or if after 5 years the best he's done is 8-4, he'll expect to be fired. The guy at least knows tactical football and what his employer expects of him.

At Kentucky, yeah, I suppose that does have to be specifically pointed out. There have been multiple winless conference seasons in your history and the coach returned the following season.

05, never fails to be salty.

05, never fails to be salty.

You're a UK fan, on a UT message board. What did you expect, a seat in First Class?

You've also been here a long time, so you should get some measure of respect for that. Still.....you're a UK fan. Kinda like having a neighbor who you just know is sleeping with his cousin. You have to be polite...he's your neighbor...but you're never going to invite him over for a cookout.

UK looks good early. Might be a good football year for you guys. You beat UT last year. Thus, you are here, sharing your wisdom with us. You have bragging rights, for now.

Come late November, you will be arguing with the Vandy fan (I think there might be one on here somewhere) about what color you want to paint the walls in the SEC basement. Again. We never bothered to paint them orange; we knew it would be a short stay. My advice would be to buy good paint this time, because once Pruitt gets his recruits in place, it's going to be down to UK, Vandy, and maybe Mizzou for who's making sure the furnace is working, if you get my drift.

But until then, enjoy the view from upstairs.

Go Vols.

This thread and Kentucky fans are hillarious! Kentucky beats Florida for the first time in 31 years and they are now a good football program. ONLY THING that says is how bad the SEC has become minus Alabama and Georgia. Kitties will get their come upings before the season is over, which will not be the first time! KITTIES BETTER STICK TO BASKETBALL! Oh wait, the Vols beat them twice last year!😂

Tennessee has only hit 9 or 10 wins 3 times in the last decade. I don't think that the standard for your program is that high anymore.

You know I usually like the KY fans on here, but man, one big win against a downtrodden Florida team and you guys sure are ready to argue now.

Come upings?

I don't think that any Kentucky fan here has stated that we are a good program. I think that I've seen statements that UK has improved under Stoops. The improvement is undeniable. If you can't see that, then we can't really agree on anything.

This thread and Kentucky fans are hillarious! Kentucky beats Florida for the first time in 31 years and they are now a good football program. ONLY THING that says is how bad the SEC has become minus Alabama and Georgia. Kitties will get their come upings before the season is over, which will not be the first time! KITTIES BETTER STICK TO BASKETBALL! Oh wait, the Vols beat them twice last year!😂

Reactions: AUVol and LittleCat
Nah, 05 just wants to troll for the hell of it. I've been here since 2005 with over 8000 posts. Not like I just came out of the woodwork. Back in the day, VN had a lot of level headed folks who actually talked football. Don't see too much of that anymore.

You're a UK fan, on a UT message board. What did you expect, a seat in First Class?

You've also been here a long time, so you should get some measure of respect for that. Still.....you're a UK fan. Kinda like having a neighbor who you just know is sleeping with his cousin. You have to be polite...he's your neighbor...but you're never going to invite him over for a cookout.

UK looks good early. Might be a good football year for you guys. You beat UT last year. Thus, you are here, sharing your wisdom with us. You have bragging rights, for now.

Come late November, you will be arguing with the Vandy fan (I think there might be one on here somewhere) about what color you want to paint the walls in the SEC basement. Again. We never bothered to paint them orange; we knew it would be a short stay. My advice would be to buy good paint this time, because once Pruitt gets his recruits in place, it's going to be down to UK, Vandy, and maybe Mizzou for who's making sure the furnace is working, if you get my drift.

Go Vols.

Nah, 05 just wants to troll for the hell of it. I've been here since 2005 with over 8000 posts. Not like I just came out of the woodwork. Back in the day, VN had a lot of level headed folks who actually talked football. Don't see too much of that anymore.
Dude, you made a snarky comment so I replied with one. I was just joshin ya.

I'd like to think I'm one of the level-headed folks who actually talks football here.

Go Vols.

You should just stick with saying something like "UK sucks". The long winded analogy of a basement with painted walls might be one of the more cringeworthy and arrogant posts I've seen in a long time. Arrogance that is somewhat ironic coming from a fan of a program that has absolutely no excuse to have gone from traditional powerhouse to praying you can find a win or two when you play Vandy, UK, Mizzou, and USCjr.

It's baby steps for UK football.

You should just stick with saying something like "UK sucks". The long winded analogy of a basement with painted walls might be one of the more cringeworthy and arrogant posts I've seen in a long time. Arrogance that is somewhat ironic coming from a fan of a program that has absolutely no excuse to have gone from traditional powerhouse to praying you can find a win or two when you play Vandy, UK, Mizzou, and USCjr.

It's baby steps for UK football.

UK doesn't "suck", they're just not going to ever be an SEC (East) power. It is what it is, but they don't suck.

Like I said, enjoy your time upstairs. Not only does UT have a football tradition that UK cannot, and will never, aspire to...but we are on the way back up after having unquestionably bottomed out over the last 10 years. UT sank to your level; you didn't rise to ours.

Arrogance? No. Reality. Last 10 years...arguably some of the worst in UT football history...we're 8-2 against UK. All time? 79-25-9. That's not arrogance, that's dominance.

Even Vandy has done better against us over the past 10 years.

See you in a year...two at the most...when you have to go back to the days of Stoops, Claiborne, and Curci to find your happy place...and we're living in ours. Again.

You're wasting your time in this thread. My recommendation would be Ace Hardware. They always have good deals on paint.

Go Vols.

Reactions: LoudOrange
You posted this in 2013. How'd that one turn out for you?

- Butch Jones is a winner. And a blue-collar winner at that. Exactly what UT needed.

- He inherited this roster. Anything positive he can do with it, this year and next, is a plus.

- He can recruit, as he has already proven. The 2015 team will probably be a very good one.

- Jones will fine tune his staff over the next two seasons. Again, in 2015, UT is going to turn a lot of heads.

- It is what it is. And UT Football is almost back.

Go Vols.

I get it. You're a delusional optimist that always wants to believe it'll get better soon. The good news for you is that yes, UT will get better. With the resources and support UT has, UT has no excuse to be the dumpster it is lately. I'm pulling for Pruitt as much as you. But trying to come and flex on UK football? Cringeworthy, arrogant, and just weak.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
You posted this in 2013. How'd that one turn out for you?

I get it. You're a delusional optimist that always wants to believe it'll get better soon. The good news for you is that yes, UT will get better. With the resources and support UT has, UT has no excuse to be the dumpster it is lately. I'm pulling for Pruitt as much as you. But trying to come and flex on UK football? Cringeworthy, arrogant, and just weak.

You dug deep for that one, but yep...you got me there. I bought the hype, and chugged the KoolAid.

LC -1, GW - 0.

But back to the topic at hand. The past, current, and future fortunes of UT -vs- UK in football. You had to go back to 2013 to ding me. You're not trying hard enough; I've been wrong hundreds of times since then.

Delusional optimist? I prefer Rabid Vol Fan. And no, you're not pulling for Pruitt. Well, not if you're really a UK fan, because if you are...the arrival of Pruitt in the SEC East is bad news for you. And UK football.

UK has an all-time winning percentage of roughly 26% against UT. Last 10 years? 20%. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a pattern emerging here.

And yet...here you are. Calling me arrogant and delusional. On a UT fan board. Go find anything I've ever posted on a UK fan board. Hint: Again, you're wasting your time.

I won't say "UK sucks". I don't have to. You just said it for me. When we stack the teams against one another, there is no comparison.

Go Vols.

EDIT: Just checked. CBJ was 4-0 against UK. How sad is that?

Last edited:
Come upings?

I don't think that any Kentucky fan here has stated that we are a good program. I think that I've seen statements that UK has improved under Stoops. The improvement is undeniable. If you can't see that, then we can't really agree on anything.
Here kitty, kitty, kitty! On second thought, go play on the fact you guys are 2-24 against us the last 26 years! Take my advice and lay off the cat nip!😂

You dug deep for that one, but yep...you got me there. I bought the hype, and chugged the KoolAid.

LC -1, GW - 0.

But back to the topic at hand. The past, current, and future fortunes of UT -vs- UK in football. You had to go back to 2013 to ding me. You're not trying hard enough; I've been wrong hundreds of times since then.

Delusional optimist? I prefer Rabid Vol Fan. And no, you're not pulling for Pruitt. Well, not if you're really a UK fan, because if you are...the arrival of Pruitt in the SEC East is bad news for you. And UK football.

UK has an all-time winning percentage of roughly 26% against UT. Last 10 years? 20%. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a pattern emerging here.

And yet...here you are. Calling me arrogant and delusional. On a UT fan board. Go find anything I've ever posted on a UK fan board. Hint: Again, you're wasting your time.

I won't say "UK sucks". I don't have to. You just said it for me. When we stack the teams against one another, there is no comparison.

Go Vols.

EDIT: Just checked. CBJ was 4-0 against UK. How sad is that?

Nah, I support UT any day they don't play the blue guys. I like Pruitt and hope it works out. Won't make guys like Brian or Hardwood happy, but oh well.

Won't find me on any UK boards either man. VN is legit and I enjoy talking here.

I don't think anyone was seriously comparing UT and UK. There is absolutely no comparison.

We didn't lost to Butch, we lost to Dobbs lol. I swear Josh had some sort of vendetta against UK. I think it was in the 2015 game where I finally saw Dobbs speed in person, and it was shocking how easy he made big plays look.

Anyway, thanks man. You seem like a loyal and true Vol fan. I like the passion.

Gesture of friendship accepted. And in thinking about it, you're spot-on about Dobbs. Game changer.

Funny thing is, being a GA resident for the past 25 years, the Dogs have sort of grown on me. I'm a UGA fan 364 days out of the year. No, I'm not on any UGA boards; VN is the only place you'll find me.

And oh my Lord, do they look tough this year.....

But I'm a native of the Smokies, and I'll always be a Volunteer fan. First, foremost, and forever. So if I bristle a bit here and there when it sounds like someone is firing a shot across our bow (or mine), please take it as nothing more than guarding against those who come here for the sole purpose of gloating or stirring things up. You've been around for awhile, so you clearly did not. As I'm sure you're aware, sometimes a quick wit and sharp tongue can work against you (or me).

FWIW, I took particular joy in watching my jort-wearing acquaintances down here try to explain the loss to UK. Priceless. In all honesty, if Florida played against Al Qaeda University, I'd cheer for the Flying Turbans.

Go Vols.

Reactions: LittleCat

VN Store

Back