'18 Recruiting Forum: Official Florida Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Date: Saturday, September 22nd
Game Time: 7:00 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium, Knoxville TN
Network: ESPN
1537273679581.png

Appetizers are over... it's time for the entree... fresh Gator. Most realistic fans have two goals this season... beat the Gators & make a bowl game. It's arguable which one is more desirable. When in doubt,

1537273965001.gif

But first things first. Tennessee has to take advantage of a rival when they are down, and opportunity that has slipped through their fingers (or DB coverage) too often in recent years. This is by no means a gimme. Two very flawed squads take the field surrounded by what is going to be an absolutely ridiculous crowd Saturday. Let's see what to expect.

Keys to Victory:

1. Out rush the Gators: Usually, the team who wins this statistic, wins the game. Unless there is a severe turnover ratio, you can count on this being the case this year... put it in writing. On the year, TN is averaging 221.3 YPG, at 5.0 per rush and Florida averages 185 YPG, at 5.7 per rush. Tennessee and Florida both spread the carries between several running backs but ultimately, I prefer Tennessee's RB stable over Florida's. Ty Chandler's big play ability coupled with the tough running of Jordan, London and Banks is looking pretty good against a Florida team that is finally playing with Jim McElwain's recruits and not the defensive studs left behind by Will Muschamp. Florida quarterback Frankincense Philips... or whatever, is a mobile threat, so the Vols will need to keep him from getting free and extending drives. Key Point: Out rush Florida, win the game.

2. The Best Worst OL: Both Tennessee and Florida are struggling on the offensive line... a lot. Both teams have shown improvement in recent weeks, but the question as to whether it was true improvement or the fool's gold of a heavily outmatched opponent is yet to be seen. Tennessee has to keep JG clean and be able to open up holes on the right side of the line, where Drew Richmond has not exactly been ama... well, he's been really bad. Key Point: Be the better offensive line.

3. Steady at the helm: When it comes to quarterbacks, there is not a single Tennessee fan who would trade JG for Franks. Though neither have thrown for miles and miles, Guarantano has been very efficient, completing 72% of his passes compared to Franks 53%, and just as important... has not thrown an interception while Franks has 2. Jarrett needs to continue his steady play, and not feel the "bigness" of this game and begin to force thigns trying to be a hero. This looks to be a very tight game, and if there are interceptions to be found, I prefer they be found by the men in orange. Curiously, Jesse Simonton reported that Franks actually does worse with a 4 man rush vs. a blitz. It will be interesting to see how Pruitt dials things up. He knows how huge this game is for this fanbase, and how it affects the rest of the season and bowl potential. He will be cooking up something special, and let's hope that it affects Franks in the worst way. If he is pressured, forcing him to his left, to where he couldn't hit the broad side of wind is more effective than forcing him to the right. Key Point: Steady, mistake free QB play.

4. Can you feel the noise? 7:00 pm with Florida in town? Yep... it's about to be loud. Tennessee fans have the ability to genuinely influence the outcome of this game by bringing the ferociously passionate decibels that have made Neyland a nightmare to play in for years, when the fans are turned on. If the Vols get the lead, or stay within striking distance for 4 quarters, play calling is going to be unbearable for Franks. I can just see the Vol defense disguising complex blitz packages and pulling back right as Franks is trying to scream out an audible, not even able to hear his own voice. Austin Appleby got a taste of that in 2016, and it's time to for the fans to bring the heat again. Key Point: Shake the earth.

5. Turnovers: It's going to be tight. Get some, give none. Key Point: Win turnover battle.

Prediction: I've debated this for a long time. Preseason, I had this as a win. After the West Virginia game, I had it as a loss. Right now, I have no idea what to think. There is not much that would surprise me in this game... Florida rising up to play their best game of the season, while Tennessee reverts back to WV game form, or the Vols doing the exact opposite, and exposing Florida to the fullest. I think it comes somewhere in between. Much like all the recent games, with the exception of 2016, I think this game is nasty, sloppy, low scoring, and sometimes just brutal to watch. I think though the rushing yards is the key stat here, quarterback play is ultimately what is going to be the deciding factor. My head says Gators by 1, but today, my heart says

TN 24
FL 20

If defense continues to play as solid as have have played the last two game and our O gets back to being mistake free, I see an upset this Saturday. Need a running game. If we can run the ball on them with some consistency I believe we will see UF DB's get burned a few times. Want CP to so much get his first SEC win this Saturday against the jerk shorts.

I agree with the ugly, low-scoring game. I think each team has at least 2 TOs. Hope we can capitalize. I'll go with 17-13 UT

tenor.gif

the callers on WNML are awful. i'll give the hosts credit for one thing, they're a lot more patient than i am. i'd of hung up on most of these folks by now. they just let them ramble on about the dumbest stuff............

20-13 UF...is about how I believe this will go 🤮

45-3 10 UT is how I wish it would go 🤩

Please let me be wrong, and pull us out a big win boys 🙏

I really don’t think either offense is going to have much success. Tennessee can’t run up the middle and has been dependent on outside runs. I’m skeptical that works vs SEC athletes. Florida, from what I can gather, can run the ball but for some reason keep asking Franks to win games for them. Couple those things together and I expect a lot of punts.

Ultimately I think the game will come down to special teams and turnovers. I like our young CB’s to make a play or two and Callaway/Chandler can break a return to set up good field position for the offense.

Florida has the better roster, slightly, in my opinion. Tennessee has the better defensive coordinator. I’m a believer in Mullen and haven’t been impressed with Helton so far so I think Florida has the coaching advantage on that side. (Save the flaming for later.)

Neyland will be electric - you can feel the anticipation building in town. Everyone and their brother is looking for tickets. Tennessee fans show up when they know they have a legit shot at beating those bastards from Gainesville. That has to be worth 3-5 points.

I think Florida is better. I think coaching is a push. But I think Neyland makes the difference.

Vols - 17
Gators - 16

20-13 UF...is about how I believe this will go 🤮

45-3 10 UT is how I wish it would go 🤩

Please let me be wrong, and pull us out a big win boys 🙏
This is me.

I hate this week. Want to win so bad.

My stupid mind won’t let me have good thoughts about this one.

I hope we win and look like a solid team.

My fear is that we look like a slow mixed bag that has a long way to go.

I really don’t think either offense is going to have much success. Tennessee can’t run up the middle and has been dependent on outside runs. I’m skeptical that works vs SEC athletes. Florida, from what I can gather, can run the ball but for some reason keep asking Franks to win games for them. Couple those things together and I expect a lot of punts.

Ultimately I think the game will come down to special teams and turnovers. I like our young CB’s to make a play or two and Callaway/Chandler can break a return to set up good field position for the offense.

Florida has the better roster, slightly, in my opinion. Tennessee has the better defensive coordinator. I’m a believer in Mullen and haven’t been impressed with Helton so far so I think Florida has the coaching advantage on that side. (Save the flaming for later.)

Neyland will be electric - you can feel the anticipation building in town. Everyone and their brother is looking for tickets. Tennessee fans show up when they know they have a legit shot at beating those bastards from Gainesville. That has to be worth 3-5 points.

I think Florida is better. I think coaching is a push. But I think Neyland makes the difference.

Vols - 17
Gators - 16
You see this game happening much like I do, you just have us scoring an extra TD, and them a TD and three fg's instead of two td's and a fg like I do.

This is me.

I hate this week. Want to win so bad.

My stupid mind won’t let me have good thoughts about this one.

I hope we win and look like a solid team.

My fear is that we look like a slow mixed bag that has a long way to go.
Yeah...me too. Our OL gives me nightmares. I just can't see us running effectively on them if our OL is still practicing for bullfighting season.

Reactions: Electric Orange

VN Store

Back