Vols not considered one of WVU’s toughest games this season.

It's quite amazing the short-term memory some of our fans have. Honestly, I wish I could have that same blind confidence. We are fresh off our worst season in program history, don't have an established QB, lost an NFL running back, and just went through a mess of a coaching search. You can't seriously expect the media to realistically put TN as one of the toughest games on anyones schedule this year. It's going to take some time to win both fans and the media over.

I love this attitude. You guys keep telling them we're the same old bunch we were last year. I used to love it when all the old time coaches would do this kind of world class poor mouthing. Keep up the good work.

OP, I may be completely off base, and if I am I will eat my crow. I honestly believe that we have some dudes that can play at a high level. We are going to give WVU all they want. Are we going to win the game? I dont know. I honestly think we could win the game. There is so much up the air right now and no one really knows where, who, what, or how we are going to play.

So we went 4-8 last year. I honestly didn’t pay much attention to how other teams did because of how depressing UT was last year. So I figured WVU must or done pretty well to be so hyped up. Uhhh 7-6. Yeah it’s better than 4-8 but what am I missing? If we’re gojng to suck automatically simply because of last years reaults why is WVU suddenly going to be really good? Lol

Last edited:
If West Virginia was coming a 4-8 season and changing coaches I would put them as one of our weaker opponents too

Exactly and most realistic fans realize the Vols simply don't have the horses on the Dline to dominate up front, where it all starts

I think Pruitt and the Vol will get there, but it may take a minute

This still doesn't diminish my enthusiasm and hope that UT can pull off a big upset of WV

Go Vols

It's quite amazing the short-term memory some of our fans have. Honestly, I wish I could have that same blind confidence. We are fresh off our worst season in program history, don't have an established QB, lost an NFL running back, and just went through a mess of a coaching search. You can't seriously expect the media to realistically put TN as one of the toughest games on anyones schedule this year. It's going to take some time to win both fans and the media over.
It doesn't necessarily require much time just a big win or two

If our D line plays like last seasons 4-8 and we can’t move the chains, no we won’t be any trouble for WV. However, due to reports of improving line play and effort, new leadership, I think WV has reason to be concerned. I think we will move the chains, I think our d line will disrupt and penetrate into the backfield and hurry Grier. If we can keep them from scoring more than 24 I think we win.

Reactions: Type Orange+
Based on being a 4-8 team that finished dead last in their conference 9 mos ago, why would we be considered in even their top 6 games?

True. Until we get out there and prove otherwise, we don't deserve WV's or anyone else's respect. Call it however you want. Bad coaching, lack of development, or landing on a pet rock instead of the moon in 1969. We have been barely a shadow team the past decade and one of the worst ever last season. If we don't put up, we should shut up, especially denial fans. The game isn't about "if", "maybe", "coulda" or "shoulda." None of those things are related to respect. It's about getting out on the field and earning respect. Until then, EXPECT opponents to not have much if any respect for our team.

Reactions: Mccage
In my peanut gallery opinion, I think it will boil down to conditioning and game day coaching. If we can wear them dowm, their execution will suffer. If and when that happens, play calling will determine our ability to take advantage of their fractures. And Coach Pruitt (from his press conferences) is all about controlling the opponent's offense with his defense. I think the talent is comparable. From what I have seen of Will Grier, he is not infallibel nor invincible. He gets frustrated and it shows. It can make him dangerous or vulnerable. I like our chances. Go Vols! (Ok, having read this, I can see a big "duh"). But, I wrote it, so, there ya go. Go Vols!

NC State, Iowa State, and Oklahoma listed in this article as West Virginia’s toughest games this season. I hope we show up to play football on September 1st and make them rethink this article.
Its a different culture, a different team, different coaches......The new era of Volunteer football has begun!! Oh yeah!!! No need to be afraid!!

We are an easy to beat soft team with a new coaching staff until proven otherwise. Hopefully that will be the first game.

There is also people with short term memory loss in the opposite direction. We still have a lot of talent on the roster. We have been historically hampered with injuries the last three seasons. We have had the worst coaching that I’ve seen in my lifetime as a UT fan. If we can stay healthy, we can win some games. I’m not saying that we will win ten games, but there are a lot of extremely negative people on here. It’s not fair to the team we have now to just compare them to last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I know that I’m looking at this from one of the more possible optimistic views, but i see that 4-8 and know that just a better coaching play call here and there would’ve had us finishing 7-5. Florida game, lost by 6 points. Possibly Butch’s worst decision making on display and a last minute Hail Mary by Florida in order for them to win. South Carolina: lost by 6 points because our offense could only muster three field goals? I refuse to believe USCe defense was that good (and almost won on a last minute TD pass). And finally Kentucky, lost by 3 points and it was Ty’s first game as a starter since JK was out on suspension (and almost won it with a last minute TD pass).

Another thing, was Vanderbilt and Missouri really multiple touchdowns better than us last year or had the team given up? I don’t see any way in hell that Missouri was 37 points better than us, nor Vanderbilt, who was beaten equally as bad or worse by our common opponents.

Other than the punter position, i think every position on the field will be improved for us. We’ll miss you Trevor Daniel.

Looks like your memory may be worse. Remember all the injuries? Remember Lyle? This is where we hang our hope. We may win 4 games but at least we have a smidge of hope before we go out there and possibly get them dashed.

With that said 8 wins baby! :)

Reactions: swchandler1988
and on top of all that, they are thinking they can make the playoffs! Really! They think that finally they have arrived.

It's great that they are looking past the Vols.

that will in all likely hood bite them in the ass!

again I say, think Northwestern!

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Notre Dame went from 4-8 to 10-3 the following season.

We can do the same.

I would love for us to go 10-3, but I just don't see it happening in 2018. I'm sure if ND had played our schedule with Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn etc. they wouldn't have finished 10-3. More like 7 or 8 wins.

Based on being a 4-8 team that finished dead last in their conference 9 mos ago, why would we be considered in even their top 6 games?
I'm assuming it's the same way across all fanbases, but Vol fans have a really hard time viewing the team without orange colored glasses on.

It's in our advantage to have a team thinking we'll be a pushover anyway. I love being underestimated.

Even though the excitement level is way up and we should be vastly improved we aren't going to be getting any national love early as it should be honestly. Brand wise UT-WV is a big game but they're ranked as high as top 10 in some polls and we are coming off the biggest nightmare season in school history. Respect will have to be earned.

Reactions: savannahfan
Our talent level is not 4-8 bad. The wheels came off due to terrible coaching and the players packing it in. I am going to sit back and enjoy watching us bust people in the mouth. GET SOME!!!

Yes, the team as a whole, packed it in. Now, lets see if they unpack. Some do and some don't.

VN Store

Back