DirecTV Now?

OK.

So I just hooked it up to a couple of older TV's via Amazon Fire Stick. The main gripe I have, so far, is I can't rewind what I'm watching. I can pause the channels but rewinding is a challenge. I guess the workaround is to record the show and watch it for the dvr?
You got it. The DVR functionality is a work in progress. And you can't do things like rewind, slo mo during live action.

Reactions: Boca Vol
You got it. The DVR functionality is a work in progress. And you can't do things like rewind, slo mo during live action.
That's what I'll do for sports. Pretty easy workaround that I'm sure they'll correct in due time.

Trying DirecTV right now. The picture has been really clean and crisp. They claim to offer 4K tv but here's the catch: There are only like 4 channels right now, you have to have a special DVR(upcharge), and the coax cable running through your house has to be pretty new. If your house was built in the 90's you're SOL according to one tech. The DVR... So when you set up a series recording DirecTV will record the new shows coming up but what it also does is it pulls older episodes from their On Demand catalog(higher channels in the 1000's). It downloads those On Demand shows to your DVR and anything from On Demand can't be fast fowarded or rewound so you have to sit through commercials. It does not make you watch commercials on new recordings. I have not figured out how to tell it not to record older episodes from On Demand yet for some series recordings.
You have nothing to worry about if you think you are missing out on 4k...

I used Playstation Vue for awhile but moved to DirecTVNow 4 months ago. Mostly satisfied. Sometimes the signal freezes.

Upgraded to the middle package to get NFL Network and SECNetwork for the football season, will drop back to the lowest after the season. Here in Bammerville, we get NBC, Fox and ABC locals via DTV. CBS is the hold out but I can get it OTA with an antenna.

To the OP question - HBO Now does show stuff as it airs - might be a very slight delay but not enough to worry about.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Thanks, volinbham.

It's a learning curve, for sure. My wife and I just have to get used to it. It has its quirks but you can tell their constantly working on it to make it better. I'm going to buy a new Samsung QLED in the next couple of week with the DTVNow app already installed. I'm hoping it makes life easier navigating through it vs. the Fire Stick remote.

Thanks, volinbham.

It's a learning curve, for sure. My wife and I just have to get used to it. It has its quirks but you can tell their constantly working on it to make it better. I'm going to buy a new Samsung QLED in the next couple of week with the DTVNow app already installed. I'm hoping it makes life easier navigating through it vs. the Fire Stick remote.
I'll be interested to see how that goes. There are definitely times when the Fire Stick seems clunky. I always wonder whether it's the device or the app.

I'll be interested to see how that goes. There are definitely times when the Fire Stick seems clunky. I always wonder whether it's the device or the app.

I'm pretty sure 99.99% of it is user error! I've had cable or regular Directv for so long it will take some getting used to.

Ever since I changed from the sticks to the Fire TV box, I don't have any of the issues I used to have with the stick. I will say that they have done a good job at updating the app and it works so much better than it did just 6 months ago.

Sling vs. YouTube? I have local channels already so I'm really looking more into quality and reliability of the two. I had sling last year and liked it, but it seemed to skip alot.

Sling vs. YouTube? I have local channels already so I'm really looking more into quality and reliability of the two. I had sling last year and liked it, but it seemed to skip alot.
I love YouTubeTV, but mostly because it's the only option for me to get all the local channels. Plus the DVR function is top notch.

Reactions: BAJAvol
So here's an odd duck. Recently went with Directnow. I have two fire sticks that I've programmed with the same apps + Direct. Three tv's. Additionally I have an outside antenna that is cabled through the house for over the air local channels, all set's are connected to this outside antenna. This is mainly for a TV in the office and a back up in case something goes south on the streaming devices.

The firesticks work flawlessly on a Vizio, and a Phillips ,but a Samsung in the bedroom somehow causes interference with the over the air channels from the antenna when I plug the Firestick into the Samsung.
I thought I was nuts, something was frayed etc. Nope, everything is in perfect condition.
Could a power strip cause this interference?

Right after I posted the interference issues I googled it. It seems this is pretty common complaint, primarily with Samsung's.
The fix options are, 1. turn off the Firestick, 2.use an Hdmi cable extender , 3.wrap the FS in aluminum foil, bawaha

So far, I've only used Directv Now with 2 older LED's via Fire Sticks. This week I plan on picking up a new Samsung QLED as my main TV with the DTV Now App already installed. I'm going to hardwire it to the router (unless that's a bad idea). I hope the Samsung makes it a little easier to navigate everything.

So far, I've only used Directv Now with 2 older LED's via Fire Sticks. This week I plan on picking up a new Samsung QLED as my main TV with the DTV Now App already installed. I'm going to hardwire it to the router (unless that's a bad idea). I hope the Samsung makes it a little easier to navigate everything.

Hard Wire? Are you planning to purchase the Ethernet adapter for the Fire Stick. I did that and really didn't notice much change from WiFi. The app works well, just occasionally it's a bit sluggish when searching within the app , etc.

Hard Wire? Are you planning to purchase the Ethernet adapter for the Fire Stick. I did that and really didn't notice much change from WiFi. The app works well, just occasionally it's a bit sluggish when searching within the app , etc.

With the new Samsung I won't need the Fire Stick. The DTV Now app is already built into the '18 models.

Reactions: Zues1
Youtube tv is the way to go. I've tried psvue, sling, and hulutv and to me youtube tv works the smoothest, has a good price point, and all the channels i look for personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boca Vol and Zues1
Just for the beta testers. I've always been at 20 hrs. And I don't really get the fascination with DVR hrs anyway given the amount of On Demand content. There's just not that much I need to record.

I agree. I do think I'll record the football games I'm watching only because I can pause/FF, etc. After the game I'll delete it.

VN Store

Back