Anyone on here from Miami?

hibbs

Will be down there for the first game of the season. Does anyone know of any UT bars, anywhere that people get together to watch games?

TIA

LOTS of things to watch in Miami...

tenor.gif

City lacks a legit sports bar. Batch isn’t bad in Brickell. I work in midtown two days a week and live in Boca. South Florida alumni chapter is pretty weak too.

Will be down there for the first game of the season. Does anyone know of any UT bars, anywhere that people get together to watch games?

TIA

UT bars? LOL Forget about it, I'm in MIami 2-3 times a month, just go to the Clevelander, you'll be alright. No UT bars in Miami.

City lacks a legit sports bar. Batch isn’t bad in Brickell. I work in midtown two days a week and live in Boca. South Florida alumni chapter is pretty weak too.
i liked Sports Grill last time I was down there, the wings were great

Miami isn't that great for watching games. In Fort Lauderdale theres's American Social if you're 20-30 and Royal Pig Pub if you're 31+. Both are solid in my experience. Last time I was at Royal Pig some Florida fans talked ish to me. Very classy.

Reactions: hibbs
I haven’t been there in years but the Carolina Ale House in Weston is a great place to watch the Vols.

I also like Bokampers and the Quarterdeck in Plantation.

Reactions: hibbs

TIA

I am in Jupiter which is about 2 hours north. There is a UT alumni group that meets and watches every game but it is way north of Miami. They meet in West Palm at a Duffy's Bar. I can get you the address if you are interested.

I was in the Miami airport during a game two years ago and found a few fellow traveler UT fans watching at a sports bar. So, find a sports bar with a bunch of TV's and maybe you'll find a few of your kind.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
not a Dolphin fan huh?
Lotta people in Miami aren't either. Look at their teams...I suppose the Dolphins are the most supported but seems like there are a lot of empty seats at a lot of their games. The Marlins...I don't even need to say anything else. They got behind the Heat when LeBron was there and that one year Wade and Shaq won a title...totally irrelevant otherwise. Even the Canes, which have a history of success, don't have a great fanbase. It's pretty small and doesn't stick around when things aren't good.

It's a transient city with a lot of other distractions and not much history, I guess. Miami didn't really explode until the 80s and there are a ton of people who live there who aren't from there.

Lotta people in Miami aren't either. Look at their teams...I suppose the Dolphins are the most supported but seems like there are a lot of empty seats at a lot of their games. The Marlins...I don't even need to say anything else. They got behind the Heat when LeBron was there and that one year Wade and Shaq won a title...totally irrelevant otherwise. Even the Canes, which have a history of success, don't have a great fanbase. It's pretty small and doesn't stick around when things aren't good.

It's a transient city with a lot of other distractions and not much history, I guess. Miami didn't really explode until the 80s and there are a ton of people who live there who aren't from there.
It's sort of like Atlanta when the Falcons,Braves and Hawks suck.

It's sort of like Atlanta when the Falcons,Braves and Hawks suck.
Yes, Atlanta is a bad sports town too, as is LA, but neither are a bad as Miami.

Being a "good sports town" isn't necessarily about having consistently good teams...it's about having teams that are a deep part of the local culture. When I think of "good sports towns" I think of places like Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Philadelphia (although Philly fans are awful, their loyalty is undeniable). I wouldn't want to actually live in any of those places though.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
Yes, Atlanta is a bad sports town too, as is LA, but neither are a bad as Miami.

Being a "good sports town" isn't necessarily about having consistently good teams...it's about having teams that are a deep part of the local culture. When I think of "good sports towns" I think of places like Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Philadelphia (although Philly fans are awful, their loyalty is undeniable). I wouldn't want to actually live in any of those places though.
Most "sports towns" are just crappy places without much to do. There's a reason people don't care about football in Miami. B/c there's plenty of cooler stuff to do than veg out on a couch or watch from 100 ft away in a stadium

Most "sports towns" are just crappy places without much to do. There's a reason people don't care about football in Miami. B/c there's plenty of cooler stuff to do than veg out on a couch or watch from 100 ft away in a stadium
There's a lot of cool stuff to do in New York and Chicago, and those people love their teams. LA isn't a great sports town either, but they do love the Lakers. Atlanta, IMO, doesn't exactly have a ton to do, but isn't a great sports town. I don't really see much of a correlation.

I think one thing that good sports towns have in common is that they aren't transient cities, either because they aren't very nice places to live (Cleveland) or for some other reason. Boston and Chicago, for example, are large metro areas that have people from all over but there seems to be a relatively large group of people in those cities that are native to those cities. They grew up watching the Cubs, Red Sox, Celtics, Bulls, or whatever it is and are diehard fans. If you moved to Atlanta or Miami from somewhere else, which a ton of people living in those cities did, you probably aren't going to be a fan of the Falcons or Dolphins.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back