Tennessee UConn Rivalry Renewed (UPDATED)

A terrific example of writer's bias....

I trust that Pat Summitt's response was sincerely warranted. Again, she canceled the series at a time when Tennessee clearly had the upper hand competitively.
Yes, that is bias. Jeff Jacobs immediately assumes a posture that Auriemma did nothing wrong and the rest of the article is written from the perspective that it is an established fact that Summitt's allegations were proven false and her motives behind those allegations must have been sour grapes, even though when the series was stopped, Tennessee had won 2 consecutive National Championships ('07 and '08) and beaten UConn 3 straight times ('05 - '07). Yes, Tennessee was on a 3 game winning streak in the series when Summitt cancelled it. That is a fact. I also find it amazing that Jacobs never takes issue with a man in his 60's, who still feels aggrieved 10 years later, over the actions of a woman who has now been dead for over 2 years. Geno Auriemma is the embodiment of pettiness.

...and speaking of pettiness, I just browsed "the boneyard" for a few minutes. Those people actually believe that Tennessee owes Auriemma and Maya Moore an apology for something. Since Summitt is now dead, there is not a clear consensus on who should be doing the apologizing (some say Holly, others say our AD). Just that Geno is owed one. They also speak of what a great guy Geno is for being the bigger person (even though the other person is dead and can't defend herself) and overlooking Tennessee's past transgressions. I kid you not. Those are some self absorbed people. On top of being petty, that is childish and egocentric. They remind me of Florida football fans in the 90's. They have taken on the persona of their coach.

Last edited:
Ridiculous! Some of you are acting like the Lady Vols have never had their butts kicked by UConn before. Those of us who remember both the 2000 National Championship Game and the 2002 National Semifinal Game beg to differ. They were both over at halftime. The '02 Semifinal was 65-33 at one point. It didn't "crush further the Lady Vol's legacy" back then and it won't next year either. This is a loser's mentality. They will play the game and likely give a better account of themselves than some of the so-called "fans" on here want to believe.

It's funny because, when uconn will beat vols by 100 all these ppl supporting the game will hide from posting comments and turn to fire Holly.

It's funny because, when uconn will beat vols by 100 all these ppl supporting the game will hide from posting comments and turn to fire Holly.
The only thing funny is that you probably consider yourself a true fan of the Lady Vols. You are a fan of the Lady Vols only as long as they win. For the record, I think Holly should be fired. She has underachieved with the talent she has had and 6 seasons is enough time to make adjustments. I also think this game should be played. It is cowardice to avoid playing the game. Do you understand what it means to be a competitor? This program should never duck anyone.

This is disappointing. While I can see the money and prime time game this could be, I would NEVER go against Pat's wishes. Not as long as Gino is coach. I would like to know who at UT supported doing this. How did Fulmer sign off on it? Did we just lose some of our dignity?

This is disappointing. While I can see the money and prime time game this could be, I would NEVER go against Pat's wishes. Not as long as Gino is coach. I would like to know who at UT supported doing this. How did Fulmer sign off on it? Did we just lose some of our dignity?

The poster above put it perfectly.

This program should never duck anyone.

I've never considered this as ducking a program. This, IMO, was about not rewarding a program (person) for their behavior. I still don't think rewarding a program by playing them is deserving in this situation.
That's a fair take. I would only say that involved things which happened over 10 years ago. As long as Geno isn't still asking for an apology (LMAO!)... I would play the game. However, I understand the people who think it shouldn't be played on principle, it's the people who are afraid of losing badly that tick me off.

The only thing funny is that you probably consider yourself a true fan of the Lady Vols. You are a fan of the Lady Vols only as long as they win. For the record, I think Holly should be fired. She has underachieved with the talent she has had and 6 seasons is enough time to make adjustments. I also think this game should be played. It is cowardice to avoid playing the game. Do you understand what it means to be a competitor? This program should never duck anyone.
Hopefully starting up the series with UConn will lead to Holly being replaced as the head coach of the LadyVols.

I'm not a big fan about us playing them at this time. I'm not scared of them I just remember how Pat felt about Geno Auriemma. The first game at UConn out fab 4 freshman will be Juniors at this time. Our 2018/19 class of 4 will be sophomore, not sure how much the 2019/20 class will play. Emily Saunders, Tamari Key, and hope 2 more ?? Rickea Jackson and Zia Cooke would be great. The first game could have a bad score but the next game at home we should have 4 seniors, never know about transfer.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
I'm not a big fan about us playing them at this time. I'm not scared of them I just remember how Pat felt about Geno Auriemma. The first game at UConn out fab 4 freshman will be Juniors at this time. Our 2018/19 class of 4 will be sophomore, not sure how much the 2019/20 class will play. Emily Saunders, Tamari Key, and hope 2 more ?? Rickea Jackson and Zia Cooke would be great. The first game could have a bad score but the next game at home we should have 4 seniors, never know about transfer.
Player development is the x-factor. If Tennessee isn't one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the country in 2021 then something is seriously wrong...

If it takes you until 2021 to realize something is wrong, I don’t know what to say about you.

I know what you mean. In defense of BB85, I've said something similar about the expectations put on last year's freshmen class. (Of course, some "coaches" here said they were ready to win now, referring to last year). That being said, I agree with you. 6 years of results should have been enough of a sample to take action.

Lots of online chatter, including from Holly Rowe, saying that HUGE news will be coming out today, and that this hasn't happened in a long time.

Tennessee UConn series back on this year and next.

Updated: UConn will host Tennessee in January 2020, and then in Knoxville in 2021. Proceeds will benefit the Basketball HOF and Pat Summitt Foundation.

Unless Holly suddenly learns to coach better than she has done the last three years, this is a ridiculous match. Player per Player may be equal in talent, coaching and strategy wise, we will be heavily over matched. I personally think Geno will take pleasure in beating us down.

Just one question: one! were any of you negative posters in the stand when the LVs beat the USA Olympic Team in an exhibition?

perhaps two: did you conclude at the beginning, during the seasons and in the Finals that UConn would win in both 2016 and 2017?

and lastly a third, do you believe the LV players will refer during game time - what keys you strike on your computer to create your redundant messages?

Lady Vols Reporter's Notebook

A TN writer's view. Feel free to share. The author said o.k. The public is reading only the UCONN writers' articles.
Thanks for posting this. I was ambivalent about restarting the series but Geno's victim act is stomach turning. This renewal of the series would have been the perfect opportunity to take the high road, most particularly since CPS is no longer with us. He could have focused on the great history or how he is glad to contribute to the cause of fighting Alzheimer's but no. He had to go into the victim mode and how is still holding a grudge. Yes, he is a very successful coach but he remains a pathetic little man.

Lady Vols Reporter's Notebook

A TN writer's view. Feel free to share. The author said o.k. The public is reading only the UCONN writers' articles.
Maria gives a much needed perspective from the Lady Vols side. The Hartford Courant's take was completely one sided and unprofessional to the point of being Pro-UConn propaganda.

I understand, but should be played with the rite coach and not played to disgrace and expose us.

I do consider myself lady vols fan, but never shy to say it the way it is.

Reactions: mcannon1

VN Store

Back