Jalen ButtHurts not happy with QB competition anymore. (would Tennessee be interested?)

don't disagree with any of that. but you're presenting it as a comparison of what the QB would be w/ or w/out the teams around him. and while true, what the QB's are asked to do with that talent around them is solely dependent upon what that QB is capable of doing himself.

and hurts was not asked to do the same things that Manning and Clausen were asked to do. which is why i equated the more accurate comparison is with Tee Martin on the 98 team. that team won a title with a very average quarter back. so did Bama with Hurts. both great athletes. both asked to do similar things as QB's. neither can/could do what a manning or clausen could do from the pocket.
Hurts was the QB of record, but another QB had to dig Bama out of the hole he dug and do the actual WINNING.

Reactions: J C Higgins
I hope TN wouldnt be interested. Theres no easier job in college football than the starting QB at Bama right now. Its easy to look great when you have 5 NFL linemen, 4 NFL running backs and 2-4 NFL TE's and Wrs to bail you out all the time. A team like Bama has the luxury of playing a 6'4 RB with an average arm at QB because theyre so good everywhere else. All you have to do is just not turn it over and work the system and you look amazing there. By comparison his "Huge numbers" that so many people talk about are pretty sub-par when you look at their last few starters, most of which weren't above average either (With the exception of Mccarron). Hes the best runner of the bunch but also had the weakest overall passing stats.

Hurts 2017
60.4%
2081 Yards
17 tds
1 int

Hurts 2016
62.8%
2780 yards
23 tds
9 ints

2015 Coker
66.9%
3110 yards
21 tds
8 int

2014 Simms
64.5%
3487 yards
28 td
10 int

2013 Mccarron
67.3%
3063 yard
28 tds
7 ints

2012 Mccarron
67.2%
30 Tds
3 ints

So Hurts two years the average stat line was
61.6%/2430 yards/ 20 tds/5 ints

The 4 years before him they averaged
66.5%/3148 yards/27tds/ 7 ints

He would be great if we ever decide to go to my favorite offence, the wishbone. If we ever want to throw a pass we should let him go elsewhere. Today on the Paul F. show some callers thought he would be leaving.

Yeah, dont act like dubose didnt happen. You guys can eat it hard too.

You believe what my idiot family who are bammers think. We will never go down. Every dynasty falls and fall hard you will. When saban leaves it, that program will be good but not natty every year. Then you will fire a coach that probably wins 9 or 10 for a dubose type and then t town burns. I look forward to it.
You must not have heard? Alabama has it in their contract that they must be in the playoff or there will be no playoff. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made it in with a 9 win season.

I hope TN wouldnt be interested. Theres no easier job in college football than the starting QB at Bama right now. Its easy to look great when you have 5 NFL linemen, 4 NFL running backs and 2-4 NFL TE's and Wrs to bail you out all the time. A team like Bama has the luxury of playing a 6'4 RB with an average arm at QB because theyre so good everywhere else. All you have to do is just not turn it over and work the system and you look amazing there. By comparison his "Huge numbers" that so many people talk about are pretty sub-par when you look at their last few starters, most of which weren't above average either (With the exception of Mccarron). Hes the best runner of the bunch but also had the weakest overall passing stats.

Hurts 2017
60.4%
2081 Yards
17 tds
1 int

Hurts 2016
62.8%
2780 yards
23 tds
9 ints

2015 Coker
66.9%
3110 yards
21 tds
8 int

2014 Simms
64.5%
3487 yards
28 td
10 int

2013 Mccarron
67.3%
3063 yard
28 tds
7 ints

2012 Mccarron
67.2%
30 Tds
3 ints

So Hurts two years the average stat line was
61.6%/2430 yards/ 20 tds/5 ints

The 4 years before him they averaged
66.5%/3148 yards/27tds/ 7 ints

I think he made up for it with 1800 yards and 21 TDs using his legs over that 2 year span

I think he made up for it with 1800 yards and 21 TDs using his legs over that 2 year span

I still dont think hed do anywhere near that here, again we dont have the pieces around him to let him do these things. Hes just not a great passer and thats what we need. Hes a talented athlete, hes just not a QB many other places in power 5 other than Bama.

Hurt's is a winner. I'd take a winner on my team any day.
Bama is a winner. No matter who they plug in they win. Keller Chryst would probably have those stats or better wearing Crimson behind that line with those skill players.

I would assume Pruitt would have the inside track with him if he did transfer. If you have an open scholly I don't see why you wouldn't take a shot on him.

In all fairness, Greg McElroy was 24-3 in his time in Titletown. Didn't make him a great college QB. If Jalen goes it seems he is leaving as a graduate transfer. For me, not great news, but much more emotionally acceptable that those who leave early because they don't want to compete.

If Tennessee is going to run a pro system, and you are, why would Jalen be a good fit? He ran out of the pistol most of the time last season and frankly, didn't have near the production he did as a freshman under Kiffin and the spread RPO system. Unless Helton is going to do something different than what he said he was doing at Tennessee. He said, run, run, run and be a big play offense. So he wants to play ball control and go long. Sounds like he learning toward strong-armed, pro-style guys.

Reactions: Ertel

But seriously, I would not mind having Hurts as our QB. Hopefully our QB performance this year will be good enough to forget wanting other QBs.

Is that Ben Gay?

Looking at it again, isn't that a line -painting gun?

Last edited:
The bottom line is if Pruitt thinks he can run our team, then he can. Pruitt knows more about him than any other coach in America other than the staff at Bama and Kiffin. So if he wants to come here and we take him I’m all in.

I would assume Pruitt would have the inside track with him if he did transfer. If you have an open scholly I don't see why you wouldn't take a shot on him.
Not that good a passer? After that NC game, we could see why an UGA fan WOULD want us to take a shot on him. 😉

The idea that he wouldn’t be worth a scholarship to try out and see what he’d be capable of producing in this offense given his running ability is idiotic.

That’s one opinion. Another is that to get our program back where it belongs, we shouldn’t be wasting scholarships just to kick tires on one year limited stopgaps.

In an offense that doesn’t utilize run-first QB’s

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Not that good a passer? After that NC game, we could see why an UGA fan WOULD want us to take a shot on him. 😉
I'm just saying he's worth the risk for UT because I don't see JG being that far ahead of him. Hurts does have a decent track record outside of that one half against UGA.

VN Store

Back