Tennessee UConn Rivalry Renewed (UPDATED)

That is your viewpoint....Mine is, if CHW is going to succeed, it has to be with this type of lineup. I have seen what was done and not done with a 6'6" player. There is no post like Russell in this bunch. Mostly tall scoring guards and forwards. This set screams for a hi-post offense, running four out and feeding the Point-Forward to distribute. With the closest four crashing the boards and full court terrorizing defense.

The only thing the Connies have that we don't is Geno.

And
I'm ok with that.!
The fact that UT is several steps behind UConn (specifically) is not a viewpoint. They haven't been close in awhile and not playing an annual game wasn't the turning point or the reason why we know that. UT has drifted back while UConn has surged forward.

Geno vs Holly is a major reason for that gap.

The fact that UT is several steps behind UConn (specifically) is not a viewpoint. They haven't been close in awhile and not playing an annual game wasn't the turning point or the reason why we know that. UT has drifted back while UConn has surged forward.

(Surged?? Yes, they WERE......champs ..... 3 years ago...You're right. Just like UT was champs 10 years ago...yawn.)

Geno vs Holly is a major reason for that gap.

If coach Warlick can solve the missing ingredient thing,,,she has more than enough talent, speed and savvy players to stand toe to toe with any team.

In fact, I expect her to!

Reactions: Smallvol#1
If coach Warlick can solve the missing ingredient thing,,,she has more than enough talent, speed and savvy players to stand toe to toe with any team.

In fact, I expect her to!
6 years in, she appears to be the missing ingredient.

She has better players than her record reflects. That's the easiest reason to come to that conclusion.

6 years in, she appears to be the missing ingredient.

She has better players than her record reflects. That's the easiest reason to come to that conclusion.

True, dat. And the proof? UConn has lost seven games since Holly became the head coach of the Lady Vols.

True, dat. And the proof? UConn has lost seven games since Holly became the head coach of the Lady Vols.
What he has done just in the last 10 years is ridiculous. He appears to be a $#!try person from all counts. But I do know Pat respected his coaching ability outside all of that.

But they also lost to #17 Texas A&M, #5 ND, #3 Miss St (by 20 points), #17 Mizzouri, #8 SC, #6 ORST. Over the last 3 years they are 19-16 against ranked teams. I am as much of a fan of the lady vols as anyone but I also am able to see without orange shades on. They are no where near the caliber of UCONN right now. they have just as good of players, but what happens during practice, and development of those players is where they fall short.
That is not in dispute but that is not a reason for avoiding them.

What he has done just in the last 10 years is ridiculous. He appears to be a $#!try person from all counts. But I do know Pat respected his coaching ability outside all of that.
He will also bend the rules during heated recruiting battles. He has also used USA basketball to advance his own agenda at UConn. I think that one of the more unethical (though not illegal) things he has done, was to keep Ann Strother of Littleton, CO on the 2001 USA Junior World Championship Team the summer before her senior year in high school. Strother was only the 2nd high school player ever named to the team (the first being Lisa Leslie in 1989). Tennessee and UConn were locked in a tight battle for her at the time and Auriemma clearly used his position as the coach of the team as an advantage in recruiting her to UConn. She was not even the best high school player in the country and had no business being on that team. That's the main problem I see with him... He does very unethical things which Summitt would have never done.

Last edited:
He will also bend the rules during heated recruiting battles. He has also used USA basketball to advance his own agenda at UConn. I think that one of the more unethical (though not illegal) things he has done, was to keep Ann Strother of Littleton, CO on the 2001 USA Junior World Championship Team the summer before her senior year in high school. Strother was only the 2nd high school player ever named to the team (the first being Lisa Leslie in 1989). Tennessee and UConn were locked in a tight battle for her at the time and Auriemma clearly used his position as the coach of the team as an advantage in recruiting her to UConn. She was not even the best high school player in the country and had no business being on that team. That's the main problem I see with him... He does very unethical things which Summitt would have never done.
I never remotely insinuated that he didnt bend or even break rules to advance himself. I called him a s#!++y person that is an exceptional coach. There's nothing to refute there.

To add to that I never questioned Pat's integrity either. I've known a lot of her family for 30+ years, I ll be the last one you catch doing that.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Not at all.

I do expect her to.
I expect any coach who coaches the Lady Vols, to the same standard.
Win or show in the SEC,
FF or better in the NCAA's...
Minimum!

I don't care if Ghandi is coaching,,,Same standard.
Nothing's changed.
Standards are different from you expect a coach do to based off what they have done.

As a comparison, the standard for UT football is to contended for and in really good years win championships. That standard didnt change for Dooley and Jones but no one expected them to do that because they weren't good enough to.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
this is huge for Tennessee. Look everyone gets blown out to uconn except notre dame maybe. But it helps team be better look at ms state and notre dame and south carolina . Umm Ill take it holly is trying to make big moves to get us to the top and if they expose us maybe we need to be
Hopefully this will help bring about the coaching change that's needed in the Tennessee women's basketball program.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Sure I did. Where did I mention UT not needing to schedule that game because they would lose? Having addressed that, UT will not compete with UConn in any future game unless they make some major strides or Geno retires. (See Saban/Bama and UT in football)

He/she spoke of wanting it to be a rivalry again when he said "I recognize that WBB needs a strong Tennessee. I really want Tennessee to be great again."

UT is currently neither and anyone that has kept up with the LVs knows as much. (they preachin to the choir) UConn is several steps ahead of UT right now (which is no longer the premier team in its own conference). Nothing cowardice about stating the facts.

Very true.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
Do you actually believe that these lady vols are worthy of being mentioned in the same breathe of most of Pat's teams? When you dont like something you immediately start saying people are not true fans. Start the insults because people disagree with you. How about this, we are better because we expect the same results as Pat's teams but are realistic when it comes to the current state of the program. How is the lady vols program not a mirror image of the football program? 19-16 over the last 3 years to ranked teams.......think Pat ever did that bad to ranked teams? When was the last time they made the final 4? Have you been happy with the results? Take off the orange shaded glasses and look at the team realistically, UCONN beats UT by 30 right now. Until the coaching and toughness changes, these are the results you are going to get.
So you only support your team when its winning and if its not winning you are ready to burn it down. There are uncomplimentary names for people with that attitude. You should take your attitude and go buy a Notre Dame t-shirt with it. If you take that advice you can have the broadest t-shirt collection in the county. I was going to say state, but I feel you may not get out too much.

I was wondering if anyone read the article

I read it, but it is a nuanced piece I would not want to attempt to characterize. He does say, in more words, that its about the charity thrust and but for that he would not have UConn play Tennessee.

If this is accurate it will probably hurt UT. We are not on that level and getting creamed twice each year will turn recruits off to coming here when they could go there and win. Being realistic, does anyone actually think we could beat Uconn or think that Geno would not beat us by 50 if he could. At this moment in time we simply are not on the same level as they are and do not have the coaching to pull that kind of an upset.

This is sad but true. This will crush further the Lady Vol's legacy. We are not ready to compete with UCONN.

Based on the results of the last few years, UConn will crush us...

But, what the hell, let's play anyway.

Reactions: sisaq
This is sad but true. This will crush further the Lady Vol's legacy. We are not ready to compete with UCONN.
Ridiculous! Some of you are acting like the Lady Vols have never had their butts kicked by UConn before. Those of us who remember both the 2000 National Championship Game and the 2002 National Semifinal Game beg to differ. They were both over at halftime. The '02 Semifinal was 65-33 at one point. It didn't "crush further the Lady Vol's legacy" back then and it won't next year either. This is a loser's mentality. They will play the game and likely give a better account of themselves than some of the so-called "fans" on here want to believe.

VN Store

Back