Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sapp will play a whole lot. I think they said in nickle it will be Bituli and Sapp, in base Bituli and DKJr. And we will probably play nickle more than base. I'm not sure on Ignont. I've never been very high on him and we haven't heard a thing about him this fall and not much in the spring either.
Thanks-- now I remember hearing about Sapp/Nickle... I watched Ignont a little in high school and he seemed very quick and athletic, ran the ball a few times... hopefully he just needs these new coaches and system to excel. He's definitely got the body type to be a good LB, I guess he just needs development.

Reactions: Sleegro
Chatt I was listening to Podcast Ain’t Played Nobody, and they had Kevin Kelley on to talk some numbers. He brought up an interesting stat, which is that teams that gained four yards or more on the first play of a drive went on to score 70% of the time. I was wondering if you had any intel on Helton coached teams in this regard. I guess I could get off my ass and do it myself, though.

I don't have a source that tracks that but I think it comes from a book on Football Analytics. The general rule we always hear in football is you need 50% of your yards on 1st down and 50% of the remaining on 2nd down but the kicker I'm told is you need to get to 3rd down and less than 2 in order to have a 54% chance of getting a first down.

I always try to isolate stats when looking at teams so I can see how they do without cupcake teams padding their stats. On CFBstats I just look at how teams do against FBS winning teams. Anyone we're interested in is always going to have at least 6 or 7 games in that group.

This is a stat I think we really need to improve on this year. It's from Football Outsiders and it's the percentage of times an offense in 2017 turned a possession into a touchdown. It's against all competition. I just selected some teams of interest for comparison.

ScreenHunter_27 Aug. 15 09.01.gif

Last edited:
I may need to switch from Sling to youtube tv, I can already feel my arm itching from missing football on Sundays.
I actually haven’t gotten Sling yet because one friend raves about YoutubeTV and one raves about HuluTV. Looks like they both have all the sports and local channels. Hulu has viceland and YouTube doesn’t though

I have DirectvNow and prefer that over slingtv. My bigger issue is going over my monthly data allowance. I only have 15mbps speed so it’s spotty with 2 other devices streaming. My options are limited since I live in the country. I’m sure there’s something better I just haven’t found it yet.
Why don’t you just up your mbps? 15 is really low

With that many 4/5* players there should have been more draft picks period. It doesn't matter if Jones was re-tooling the roster. If he was developing talent properly then that number should have been higher period.

You have to play 3 years in college to be draft eligible. Some of the 2015 class are still playing, and two left early and got drafted. Do the math.

HD picture quality is excellent. You won't necessarily need one if you have either a smart tv with the app built in or a device that has the app like an XB1. As of February 2018, Google removed YTTV from the Fire Stick. It will however work with a Roku. If you are near a major market, you will get all the local channels for that market plus any games broadcast on ABC, NBC, etc. I live in Murfreesboro and I get any in market games on the main channels plus the Braves and Preds on regional sports channels.
YTTV appears to be available with the Chromecast device, right?

price on swain says maybe a couple guys commit in the next 30 days, that includes the FL game weekend. mentions Hill, and the gators being a factor. says we're still heavily in the mix, and USCe fading. Jalen Mcollough gets a mention as well, but he's not real sure, but says for all these guys that have been pushing the commitment back, that time is running out and the rubber has to hit the road pretty soon. mentions Trey Knox in that group as well.

Thanks-- now I remember hearing about Sapp/Nickle... I watched Ignont a little in high school and he seemed very quick and athletic, ran the ball a few times... hopefully he just needs these new coaches and system to excel. He's definitely got the body type to be a good LB, I guess he just needs development.
Yer welcome. I really think Sapp is gonna be one of our best players this year. He was pretty productive last year, 4th on the team in tackles (78) and TFL (4), and as sad as this stat is, 5th in PBUs (2). He looks to have really taken to the new S&C and position coaching, so I think he is gonna have a breakout year. And if he's the guy that comes in with Bituli in nickle, that is probably gonna be our most used formation so he will get plenty of opportunity. As far as Ignont, he seems to have a lot of talent but if I were to guess who Pruitt was talking about quitting in the spring game was, he would be the first name I said. He just didn't look like he was trying at all. And the fact that we never hear him talked about leads me to believe he's not really making an impact this fall either. I could be wrong though, and he's just a sophomore so he's still got plenty of time. He's probably good for depth this year and hopefully develops into an impact player in the next couple years. He definitely should have redshirted last year. I don't think losing his six tackles total in six games would have made our season any worse.

I don't have a source that tracks that but I think it comes from a book on Football Analytics. The general rule we always hear in football is you need 50% of your yards on 1st down and 50% of the remaining on 2nd down but the kicker I'm told is you need to get to 3rd down and less than 2 in order to have a 54% chance of getting a first down.

I always try to isolate stats when looking at teams so I can see how they do without cupcake teams padding their stats. On CFPstats I just look at how teams do against FBS winning teams. Anyone we're interested in is always going to have at least 6 or 7 games in that group.

This is a stat I think we really need to improve on this year. It's from Football Outsiders and it's the percentage of times an offense in 2017 turned a possession into a touchdown. It's against all competition. I just selected some teams of interest for comparison.

View attachment 163285
So the median percentage is about 25-26% and last year we were 10% below that.

Yer welcome. I really think Sapp is gonna be one of our best players this year. He was pretty productive last year, 4th on the team in tackles (78) and TFL (4), and as sad as this stat is, 5th in PBUs (2). He looks to have really taken to the new S&C and position coaching, so I think he is gonna have a breakout year. And if he's the guy that comes in with Bituli in nickle, that is probably gonna be our most used formation so he will get plenty of opportunity. As far as Ignont, he seems to have a lot of talent but if I were to guess who Pruitt was talking about quitting in the spring game was, he would be the first name I said. He just didn't look like he was trying at all. And the fact that we never hear him talked about leads me to believe he's not really making an impact this fall either. I could be wrong though, and he's just a sophomore so he's still got plenty of time. He's probably good for depth this year and hopefully develops into an impact player in the next couple years. He definitely should have redshirted last year. I don't think losing his six tackles total in six games would have made our season any worse.
with the new RS rule, i'm wondering how many they may plan on red shirting this year, for developmental purposes.

How is the streaming and the streaming quality? Do you use a separate app or the regular YouTube app?
I have a Samsung smart tv that has the YouTube tv app on it. No problem streaming and I don’t have the greatest internet speeds. You can use a Roku which I recommend or Apple TV. They both support the app.

Last edited:
247 is in the process of updating the 2018 team talent composite rankings but they don’t have everything done on the individual rosters yet. The numbers will adjust a little bit as 247 completes their work in the next several days but as it stands right now the average composite rating of our top 40 guys (talent-wise) is 0.9287. The average for WVU’s top 40 players (which I expect to increase marginally) right now stands at 0.8475.

Ainge said yesterday that we were one of the best teams and one of the most athletic teams that WVU will face this year.

WVU has a proven pass attack. We don’t and since everyone gets thrills from that aspect of the game they are dominating in the preseason perceptions arena.

Both teams have a lot of upperclassmen but they have the advantage of mostly being in the same systems for their entire careers. Around 72.5% of our top 40 guys participated in full contact in the spring. Around 7.5% were on injured reserve in the spring. Around 17.5% arrived on campus at the beginning of June and one guy (2.5%) has yet to report.

I think the only question we have is will our staff have had enough time to get our guys ready to play at or near their industry perceived talent level by the time we get to Charlotte.

Edit to add for reference: Alabama top 40 = 0.9717, Georgia's Roster isn't up yet, Auburn top 40 = 0.9250, Florida top 40 = 0.9031, South Carolina top 40 = 0.8860.

If I could like this post twice, I would.

Statistically, we were such an outlier last year. I took a combination of team talent, returning yards, and athlon’s coaching rank and ran a series of simulations. I found that those three variables predicted the team with the higher Sagarin rating about 80% of the time. So, that being said and since the team talent composite is by far the best predictor, I really like our odds against West Virginia, South Carolina, and Florida. I’m taking the over.

I’d love to switch to youtubetv- I’ve been checking it out this month on trial- but the wife and daughter want hgtv and there are some other channels on sling that I like.
I also like that Sling has tons of stuff to watch from the channels that aren’t live.
In my experience Sling has issues with live broadcasts, it buffers on their end for some reason. My internet here at the house is 150mb and I still have some issues during football.
YoutubeTV is more solid, just doesn’t have the right combo of channels.

I'm guessing more than we're used to. haha
lol. probably right. we used to RS kids all the time. these days, we've always needed the new guys to be immediate contributors because of all the roster issues.....i think, at least this new rule allows some flexibility, and we should see the RS #'s rise. even for guys that carried over from last year to this year.

Do you know if local channels are available in all markets? I'm on the verge of cutting the cable and have been considering installing an "old style" antenna to pick up the local stations. The main reason is to be sure I can get games that are broadcast on Fox, ABC, CBS, etc. If I don't need the antenna, that's a further savings. I'm still going to need some sort of device (Fire stick, etc.) for each tv, right?

Lastly, how does your HD picture compare to cable or DirecTV? That's somewhat of a concern as well.
Really can’t tell a difference with the picture and of course that depends on the tv and internet speed. Good thing is you can do a 7 day free trial and there is no contract so you can cancel anytime. I recommend a Roku stick or if you have a smart tv it’ll support the app. The app is not on Firestick.
I think local channels are available in most markets.

I’d love to switch to youtubetv- I’ve been checking it out this month on trial- but the wife and daughter want hgtv and there are some other channels on sling that I like.
I also like that Sling has tons of stuff to watch from the channels that aren’t live.
In my experience Sling has issues with live broadcasts, it buffers on their end for some reason. My internet here at the house is 150mb and I still have some issues during football.
YoutubeTV is more solid, just doesn’t have the right combo of channels.

What channels are you missing, other than your mention of HGTV?

I've read/heard that because of the amount of streaming Youtube does and their infrastructure (for lack of a better word), it really minimizes buffering issues. Not sure if that is BS, but it does make sense to me.

lol. probably right. we used to RS kids all the time. these days, we've always needed the new guys to be immediate contributors because of all the roster issues.....i think, at least this new rule allows some flexibility, and we should see the RS #'s rise. even for guys that carried over from last year to this year.
With all the injuries, transfers and promised playing time to recruits the last few years, I'm shocked we were able to redshirt anyone.

So the median percentage is about 25-26% and last year we were 10% below that.

I don't know but I may do the math a little differently. In order for us to get to the mid-range of your numbers we're going to have to have an increase of 63.46% from what we accomplished last year. I think the way the numbers work is we had approximately 180 possessions last year and scored 28 TDs. That got us our 15.6% grade. For the same number of possessions this year we need to score around 46 TDs to get to 25.5%. Say we averaged 2.33 TDs per game last year in 12 games. For those 12 games we need to get to 3.83 TDs per game this year - by our offense. I think we should easily be able to do that. I'm told we have both the talent and the want-to. Just waiting on the how-to.

With all the injuries, transfers and promised playing time to recruits the last few years, I'm shocked we were able to redshirt anyone.
you know, as you say that, and knowing the opinion this staff has about the newcomers vs. the hold overs, i think it's really astounding we didn't have MORE transfers. they may be able to extend a couple guys' careers by RS them now, and getting developed for their remaining years.

who knows. probably not worth a big discussion, but it is an interesting dynamic for this staff to consider. and guys like Ignot....maybe that's the way to go?

you know, as you say that, and knowing the opinion this staff has about the newcomers vs. the hold overs, i think it's really astounding we didn't have MORE transfers. they may be able to extend a couple guys' careers by RS them now, and getting developed for their remaining years.

who knows. probably not worth a big discussion, but it is an interesting dynamic for this staff to consider. and guys like Ignot....maybe that's the way to go?
4Shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back