Better Call Saul

so, Jimmy smiles as he realizes he got his revenge on Chuck after all. (Is that how everyone else took that scene?) I wonder how long Kim will stick with this version of him?

I'm going to miss Michael McKeon's Chuck. Such a great actor.
I interpreted his smile and elevated demeanor as a release of guilt. Hamlin's confession of forcing Chuck out and how he felt it pushed Chuck back to psychosis released Jimmy from blaming himself.

I agree for the most part. Maybe he knows he's lying to himself, but it's something he can blame that's not on him.

I think his final fallout with Jimmy is what caused his relapse. When Hamlin came over earlier in the season to tell Chuck that Jimmy was getting 12 months suspension, this was a good thing, and that Chuck should move on....that's when Chuck did a toast to new beginnings I think. That's when he started to improve. He'd moved on from Jimmy's shenanigans changing the addresses. I remember trying to figure out when Chuck started to get worse when I I re-watched season 3 last week.

I didn't remember seeing any on screen clues that he was getting worse until Jimmy came over to Chuck's house to try to apologize in the season 3 finale I think. Chuck had music going throughout the house and he had lights on. Seemed pretty comfortable. Chuck basically told Jimmy don't bother apologizing, it's not worth it because you'll keep hurting people, and that's when Chuck told Jimmy "I never really cared about you anyway." Jimmy walked out saying nothing I think.

Later in the episode you see Chuck wake up early morning and write down in his pain journal that he was hurting. After that in the episode is when he's going through the house trying to find what's drawing current, calling the power company, and ultimately punching holes in the wall.

If you're a detail stickler like me, I paused it earlier in the episode when he was in bed to read his other journal entries. The one before, his mood was "agitated". I think that was when Jimmy came over earlier in the day.

Now I want to go back and re-watch Hamlin's confession to see and hear the exchange again. Maybe it contributed some, but Hamlin and Kim seemed really surprised that Jimmy would just accept his statement. "That's your cross to bear." Like he was happy someone else would carry that burden.

Last edited:
so, Jimmy smiles as he realizes he got his revenge on Chuck after all. (Is that how everyone else took that scene?) I wonder how long Kim will stick with this version of him?

I'm going to miss Michael McKeon's Chuck. Such a great actor.
I think Kim dies. A lot of scenes with her showing alcohol bottles, also the scene in season 3 after her wreck when saul asks if she wants ibuprofen or the good stuff and she says "always the good stuff." Maybe I'm looking too much into it, I hope she doesn't die.

I took it as Jimmy finally let go. He was going through all the motions of grieving brother, which may or may have not been genuine, but when Hamlin said he blamed himself it was kind of the end of the story. I do think Chuck telling him he never really cared about him was the actual moment Jimmy said "f it" and Chuck was really dead to him then anyway. It was confirmation that nothing he ever did would be good enough for Chuck.

I took it as Jimmy finally let go. He was going through all the motions of grieving brother, which may or may have not been genuine, but when Hamlin said he blamed himself it was kind of the end of the story. I do think Chuck telling him he never really cared about him was the actual moment Jimmy said "f it" and Chuck was really dead to him then anyway. It was confirmation that nothing he ever did would be good enough for Chuck.
Same thoughts I had. A part of Jimmy died with that Fredo kiss by Chuck in the finale. The shock of his brother’s death put it on pause for a sec, but all of the accolades of Chuck’s accomplishments and expressions of sympathy to Jimmy by people that didn’t respect Jimmy came to a head after Howard’s guilt trip.

Same thoughts I had. A part of Jimmy died with that Fredo kiss by Chuck in the finale. The shock of his brother’s death put it on pause for a sec, but all of the accolades of Chuck’s accomplishments and expressions of sympathy to Jimmy by people that didn’t respect Jimmy came to a head after Howard’s guilt trip.
Yeah. Nice observation. Jimmy tired of hearing Hamlin read the obituary over the phone too.

Yeah. Nice observation. Jimmy tired of hearing Hamlin read the obituary over the phone too.
I did that with an alcoholic relative when I was in the AF. 🤣. She kept repeating herself, so I laid the payphone down and went to play pool in the dayroom. 40 minutes later I checked and she hadn’t even noticed. Fun fact: It was at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque.

Either way, exchanges like the last scene of the first episode is what makes the show great. I love how they don't just spell it out for us. That's the mark of a good show.

Interesting comments from Gillighan and Gould hinting that Walt could be alive still in the Omaha flashbacks:

BCB

Last edited:
Reactions: McDad
BCS is definitely up there with BB for me now; last night we got to the end and my wife said "It hasn't been an hour already has it?" I said "Yep." BB is one of the few other shows that I've watched that an hour go goes by just like that because I'm so immersed.

Also I think last night is another good indication Nacho does not live happily ever after.

Not gonna lie, at first watch I thought last nights episode was boring... Watched it this morning again and loved it. Guess I wasn't paying attention last night.

what did he say about Nacho...I don't remember that.

He says "No no no it wasn't me, it was Ignacio, he's the one!"

He also asks Walt and Jesse if "Lalo" sent them, and they've already confirmed the character will appear for the first time this season.

The scene with Kim and Howard was amazing. Hopefully Kim and Nacho stick around a while.

Nacho is a nickname for Ignacio.

200.gif

Reactions: n_huffhines

VN Store

Back