How to Fix the Budget WITH NUMBERS!

LouderVol

Extra and Terrestrial
By yours truly. got info from here The Mandatory Federal Programs That Are Eating the Budget Alive because the numbers from the US budget report didn't add up. https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/2018_blueprint.pdf
truth be told neither did the articles numbers, but I could make them work. governments numbers were way too complicated to understand in the time I spent.

Not sure if the excel will work as an attachment here. maybe @Freak or a mod can tell me what to do

Basis for my numbers.

We Make 3,422,000,000,000
We should spend 3,422,000,000,000
We have 21,000,000,000,000 in debt, we should pay that off in 50 years!

so what I did was take our revenue, subtracted out the interest payments and the payment it would take to pay off in 50 years. That left 2,639,000,000,000 to spend. problem with that is our welfare (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and others) is already 2,739,000,000,000, plus the trillion plus we spend on "discretionary items".

so to fix this I started chopping, 20% off literally everything, not nearly enough, 30% off literally everything, (bottom right of the spreadsheet) still not enough. IIRC it was still about 112 billion of a deficit. so I started targeting specifics. Military chopped by 35%, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security and HUD, were each taken to a flat 3 billion, where they had been around 20, 40, 20 billion respectively. this left a slight surplus so I added to education because of how dumb we are.

hopefully people can get the excel to work and can see the numbers. Would love to get thoughts. apologies my excel presentation skills may not be the best, I will explain if people have specific questions.

This is not some libertarian nonsense where we are blowing up the government and taxes go away, yes there are still things the people will have to support, deal with it. didn't favor any side (RIGHT/LEFT nonsense) over the other, cuts were made every where. no sacred cows.

Reactions: Obsessed
of course the excel didn't come thru. sorry everyone. how about some photos?

Attachments

• Summary.JPG
    Summary.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 5
  • spending.JPG
    spending.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 5
realized it probably wasn't too helpful split up.

Attachments

• Total.JPG
    Total.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 7
Louder,

If only everyone else gave a rat's rear end about it. Good effort though.

I hate to burst your bubble, you obviously spent some time on this, but I'll let you in on a little secret. The debt isn't and never was intended to be paid off. It is destined to fail. Just like the gold standard, modified gold standard, and Bretton Woods agreement... this monetary system will be replaced when it fails. Paying off the debt would actually crash the economy because too much money would be taken out of circulation. The currency has to expand.

The government does need to stop adding to the debt because it's hastening the inevitable.

Last edited:
I hate to burst your bubble, you obviously spent some time on this, but I'll let you in on a little secret. The debt isn't and never was intended to be paid off. It is destined to fail. Just like the gold standard, modified gold standard, and Bretton Woods agreement... this monetary system will be replaced when it fails. Paying off the debt would actually crash the economy because too much money would be taken out of circulation. The currency has to expand.

The government does need to stop adding to the debt because it's hastening the inevitable.

The Federal Reserve started all of this mess and yet it still continues to screw us.

These kinds of cuts, even if it would work, will simply never be put in place. The only time I can recall significant reductions in the deficit, and occasional surpluses, was when we had broad based growth in tax revenues created by broad based economic growth. The fraud of trickle down has not worked before to create that. It won't work this time, either.

No offense, social security ain't welfare. The government has stolen more money than I will ever get back all in the name of forced savings.
same here, it is money they are taking from me that I will never see back that is going to help others, how is that not welfare?

Louder,

If only everyone else gave a rat's rear end about it. Good effort though.
I was just curious what it would take to pay off. was hoping there would be some talk of 50 years being too long/too short etc etc.

it would never be paid off at once. literally at best it would take 7 years if we took all the tax money and paid off the debts. considering my 50 years I would think the gradual pay off and removal of money wouldn't cause any issues as we adjusted yearly.

and to the meat of your post, that is what I don't like. I don't like the way the government works/doesn't. I don't like the way they spend money, kick issues down the road etc etc. I want to see them actually address issues, come up with solutions, debate and compromise. only way it happens is if we hold them to it, but we won't as long as people back the two party system.

I was just curious what it would take to pay off. was hoping there would be some talk of 50 years being too long/too short etc etc.
Did your plan account for average growth of GDP?

By yours truly. got info from here The Mandatory Federal Programs That Are Eating the Budget Alive because the numbers from the US budget report didn't add up. https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/2018_blueprint.pdf
truth be told neither did the articles numbers, but I could make them work. governments numbers were way too complicated to understand in the time I spent.

Not sure if the excel will work as an attachment here. maybe @Freak or a mod can tell me what to do

Basis for my numbers.

We Make 3,422,000,000,000
We should spend 3,422,000,000,000
We have 21,000,000,000,000 in debt, we should pay that off in 50 years!

so what I did was take our revenue, subtracted out the interest payments and the payment it would take to pay off in 50 years. That left 2,639,000,000,000 to spend. problem with that is our welfare (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and others) is already 2,739,000,000,000, plus the trillion plus we spend on "discretionary items".

so to fix this I started chopping, 20% off literally everything, not nearly enough, 30% off literally everything, (bottom right of the spreadsheet) still not enough. IIRC it was still about 112 billion of a deficit. so I started targeting specifics. Military chopped by 35%, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security and HUD, were each taken to a flat 3 billion, where they had been around 20, 40, 20 billion respectively. this left a slight surplus so I added to education because of how dumb we are.

hopefully people can get the excel to work and can see the numbers. Would love to get thoughts. apologies my excel presentation skills may not be the best, I will explain if people have specific questions.

This is not some libertarian nonsense where we are blowing up the government and taxes go away, yes there are still things the people will have to support, deal with it. didn't favor any side (RIGHT/LEFT nonsense) over the other, cuts were made every where. no sacred cows.

I don't see one payer insurance coverage or free college tuition?

it would never be paid off at once all.....

.......only way it happens is if we hold them to it, but we won't as long as people back the two party system we have the Federal Reserve.

The two-party system has nothing to do with the monster that was created in December 1913. The Fed operates by their own set of rules, and anyone who doesn’t believe it hasn’t been paying attention.

They are an independent entity and do not need government approval to operate.

Most every time I've had worry or anxiety over something, medical or political or whatever, I've found that when I educate myself on the subject I realize my fears weren't realistic or were irrational. Mostly due to lack of understanding. I let my fears run wild because I didn't know enough.

That was true until I ran into the debt.(this was a few years ago when it was only around 7-8 trillion I think). I tried educating myself more on that subject and went from general concern to giving myself sleepless nights.

The debt doesn't need to be paid off. It just needs to stop growing or even better be slightly reduced each year. That will work as long as the GDP continues to grow every year.

But since about half of all revenues are related to payrolls and personal income, IMO the best approach to eliminate the deficit is to remain at near full employment.

We will never pay it off. Question is, when will it matter?
1bzmnv.jpg

Folks, the fundamental power and responsibility of Congress is to pass laws to collect revenues and to make expenditures. Congress after Congress has failed in this, few more blatantly than those in the past 37 years. Senators and Representatives don't want you thinking about this. They want your attention focused on the Presidency. Basically, the President is the chief administrative officer of the Federal Government and the Commander and Chief of our armed forces. The President doesn't have the power of the purse. Congress does. Congress also has the power to override the President's veto, in effect negating whatever the President has to say about their tax and spending legislation.

There's an election in November. A new Congress will form in 2019 with the swearing in of those elected. Demand from them an honest accounting. By their laws, there are revenues dedicated to certain expenditures and then there's general revenues to support the rest. Demand of them an accounting based upon these and their plan to bring these into balance (They won't have one. They prefer retreating into ideological corners and hacking up hairball bills which perpetuate deficits and growth in the national debt no matter the state of the economy - 3% growth and 4% unemployment is no time to be adding billions to the national debt as we are, now).

"Drain the swamp" and "do your job" echo the same frustration with Congress. Give them your attention. Begin by demanding an honest accounting to the American people. Let 'em squirm, but don't let 'em off the hook.

VN Store

Back