The Tiger Woods saga

I agree, and said so to my wife when CBS picked Tiger's birdie putt on 18 as the shot of the day.
Yeah, that seemed like a nod to Tiger for bringing in all those viewers. Koepka's shot should have been the "shot of the day". Although, that one shot by Justin Thomas (I think) where he was on that hill staring at a tree and had to kinda go under the branches and put it about 8 feet from the pin was mad impressive. But still the winner of the tournament deserves "shot of the day" unless it's just head and shoulders above all the others, imo.

Still, most entertaining major since Sergio and Rose put on a show at the Masters a couple of years ago, once again, imo

It's amazing how many people out there still think Tiger can't win a major. I was really doubting him about a year and a half ago, but you have to change your opinion in light of new evidence. The guy just shot a 64 in the final round of a tournament, something he's never done before, and was a putt hanging over the cup and a lip out (occurred in the earlier rounds) from winning.

No, he's not "Old Tiger," but he's done everything except actually win another major now. He does need to do it quickly though. That back could give out at any moment. His best chance to win one is probably at Augusta next year. I wish the Masters was a month from now instead of 8.

It's amazing how many people out there still think Tiger can't win a major. I was really doubting him about a year and a half ago, but you have to change your opinion in light of new evidence. The guy just shot a 64 in the final round of a tournament, something he's never done before, and was a putt hanging over the cup and a lip out (occurred in the earlier rounds) from winning.

No, he's not "Old Tiger," but he's done everything except actually win another major now. He does need to do it quickly though. That back could give out at any moment. His best chance to win one is probably at Augusta next year. I wish the Masters was a month from now instead of 8.
I have never thought that Tiger couldn't win again, and I'm not a fan of his. Talent usually surfaces. However, as far as the lipout, etc., every player in the field has those, whether it's on Thursday on the front 9, or Sunday on the back. It is the difference between winning and losing every week. Just like a tipped pass, a missed field goal, a missed shot at the buzzer, etc.

I have never thought that Tiger couldn't win again, and I'm not a fan of his. Talent usually surfaces. However, as far as the lipout, etc., every player in the field has those, whether it's on Thursday on the front 9, or Sunday on the back. It is the difference between winning and losing every week. Just like a tipped pass, a missed field goal, a missed shot at the buzzer, etc.
Yeah... I caught myself thinking "That could've been 62.", but you're right. That's not the way it works. These guys roll it so well that they hit lips all the time.

Yeah... I caught myself thinking "That could've been 62.", but you're right. That's not the way it works. These guys roll it so well that they hit lips all the time.
I thought that the one that stopped on the lip, and sat there and looked down in the hole would surely fall in.

Interesting listening to Hank Haney this morning. He gave Tiger glowing reviews and thinks he wins again but he made the point that people are kidding themselves if they think he's going to start driving the ball well.

Interesting listening to Hank Haney this morning. He gave Tiger glowing reviews and thinks he wins again but he made the point that people are kidding themselves if they think he's going to start driving the ball well.
I heard Hank this morning. He has been talking about Tiger and the driver a lot lately, and I was thinking about that right miss before he teed off on 17, and hit it in the hazard.

He never was a supremely accurate driver anyway, even when he was decimating the opposition. He achieved what he achieved with his short game and perhaps being the best iron player ever. Earlier in his career he also hit it a mile further than anyone else, but he still was dominant when people caught up to him.

Tiger has to get the driver figured out. Watching him scramble around on the front 9 was awesome though.

Transition , transition, transition. He jumps at the driver hard from the top. He usually doesn't with irons. Much smoother.
Yep. He's always done that too. Check out highlights of him from his heyday (early 2000s). That driver swing tempo is so much faster than his irons.

Yep. He's always done that too. Check out highlights of him from his heyday (early 2000s). That driver swing tempo is so much faster than his irons.
... Which I've never understood; especially at his age. He could gear it back 10% and still hit it a little farther than average. It's like there's something in his brain that makes him snatch it from the top when he's got that Driver in his hands.

... Which I've never understood; especially at his age. He could gear it back 10% and still got it a little farther than average.
Yep. I don't understand it for any player, any time, but especially for him right now. I don't think his actual swing speed is any faster with the driver, but the tempo definitely is.

Yep. I don't understand it for any player, any time, but especially for him right now. I don't think his actual swing speed is any faster with the driver, but the tempo definitely is.
The concept that tempo does not equal speed is probably one of the hardest things to overcome mentally. I suck at it.

Tiger said something revealing when talking about his warmup. Said he was missing driver both ways and was searching for something that worked. Sounds like a guy trying to swing fast and save it one way or the other at the bottom. That's a hell of a way to drive the ball under pressure.

The concept that tempo does not equal speed is probably one of the hardest things to overcome mentally. I suck at it.

Tiger said something revealing when talking about his warmup. Said he was missing driver both ways and was searching for something that worked. Sounds like a guy trying to swing fast and save it one way or the other at the bottom. That's a hell of a way to drive the ball under pressure.
I have fought wanting to lunge at it from the end of the backswing for over 50 years. I know the feeling. On the range, I can get into a decent rhythm, start down smoothly, and gradually build speed. On the golf course, the hit instinct takes over most of the time. My short iron play is unhurried, and pretty darn good. Driver......not so much.

Still not getting his arms and body in sync on a consistent basis with the driver.

always been his main issue

Last edited:
Pretty much this. His arms get left behind, and he either blocks it, or flips the club and hits it left.
yes....but did you notice a few were just straight pulls. very different than the "old" flip hook of earlier yrs.

yes....but did you notice a few were just straight pulls. very different than the "old" flip hook of earlier yrs.
Hank Haney has been killing it the past couple of days talking about this. Says Tiger is hates the left miss more than anything and always defaults to cutting it out on the course regardless how he's hitting it.

Hank Haney has been killing it the past couple of days talking about this. Says Tiger is hates the left miss more than anything and always defaults to cutting it out on the course regardless how he's hitting it.
It makes sense because he does that to protect his knee.

Still has a little "Sean Foley" crap every now and then.o_O
I always have wondered what Tiger would have accomplished had he never changed his swing from 1997 or whenever he won the Masters by 12. And, if he had never worked out. Kind of like J.T. looks now.

I always have wondered what Tiger would have accomplished had he never changed his swing from 1997 or whenever he won the Masters by 12. And, if he had never worked out. Kind of like J.T. looks now.
He seems to be convinced his body would have broken down, much earlier than it actually did. If memory serves he actually changed his swing twice - once after the 1997 Masters and then again after 2002 (after he had just completed the most dominating stretch in the history of the sport). Of course he ended up having serious knee and then back problems anyway.

There's absolutely no evidence that is public to prove this (other than him receiving treatments for that doctor that got busted with HGH), and I'd never say this if I was a public commentator because it is pure speculation, but I don't think it is unreasonable to believe at all that he was juicing big time. It's curious that he had a doctor come in from Canada, where HGH is legal to use to treat athletic injuries, to treat him with PRP injections. There are plenty of docs in the US that could treat him for that. The dude got absolutely ripped in a short period of time and he's seen all kinds of soft tissue injuries, especially later in his career, that a lot of other guys who we know for a fact juiced got.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back