In-State Center to Take Official Visit to Vols

Tennessee’s coaches in basketball are busy trying to fill out their 2019 recruiting class and bolster their depth moving forward so they can have sustained success after this season, next season, and beyond. And they received good news on Monday when one of their biggest targets in the 2019 recruiting cycle scheduled an official visit to Knoxville later this fall.

Jason Jitoboh is a 6-foot-10, 270-pound center who plays for Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga. He’s originally from Nigeria and came to Tennessee when he was 14. His recruitment blew up earlier this year, and that’s when he started getting attention from some bigger programs. Now, according to his AAU coach, he has four official visits lined up for the fall. And Tennessee will be one of the places he visits.

In-State Center to Take Official Visit to Vols | Rocky Top Insider

I like the way this kid blocks shots. He usually tries to do it in a manner where he or one of his teammates can get control of the ball and cause a turnover. One thing I've noticed about these big African centers over the years, they take it personally when someone drives the ball to the hoop.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
I like the way this kid blocks shots. He usually tries to do it in a manner where he or one of his teammates can get control of the ball and cause a turnover. One thing I've noticed about these big African centers over the years, they take it personally when someone drives the ball to the hoop.

Came to post the same thing! I love it when a shot blocker just wants to make light contact instead of swatting it into the3rd row. John Wooden taught this back in the day. It doubles the effectiveness of the block by not only stopping a potential score. But, also usually gives a turnover. And often turns into quick transition points.

Reactions: Type Orange+

Guys, really watch the videos and picture this kid playing against Kentucky. The first thing he does when he receives the ball is to bring it to waist level, he also fouls alot when blocking shots and allows smaller kids to grab rebounds before he blocks their shots. This will be a "project" at best and they usually do not turn out good. We have had too many of these kind of projects lately.........there are better options available.

Reactions: VolBraniac
Guys, really watch the videos and picture this kid playing against Kentucky. The first thing he does when he receives the ball is to bring it to waist level, he also fouls alot when blocking shots and allows smaller kids to grab rebounds before he blocks their shots. This will be a "project" at best and they usually do not turn out good. We have had too many of these kind of projects lately.........there are better options available.
With Barnes' history of coaching up guys like this, he'd probably send him to the NBA. Probably need to pass.

I admit to thinking he is a bit of a project, but I think 6'10" projects are the best kind. He just needs to be coached up a little. That make him a good fit for our program right now.

His offer list shows that he must have quite a bit of potential.

I admit to thinking he is a bit of a project, but I think 6'10" projects are the best kind. He just needs to be coached up a little. That make him a good fit for our program right now.

His offer list shows that he must have quite a bit of potential.

I don't remember too many 6'10" projects that weren't rail thin, 200-220 pounders. We've had a couple more like 6'8". If he's a legit 6'10" and north of 265/270 then it's certainly worth the investment.

I don't remember too many 6'10" projects that weren't rail thin, 200-220 pounders. We've had a couple more like 6'8". If he's a legit 6'10" and north of 265/270 then it's certainly worth the investment.

Agree. I didn’t see but one foul on a block attempt in his video. Saw one play where a kid went up and the refs blew a foul call on him. But for the most part he goes straight up and keeps his hands up after the block. He also shows a decent Bball iq for a big his size. Imo
For a fan base begging for 7 footers, I’m surprised anybody here would not want.

Yemi Makanjuola
Pops Ndiaye
Brian Williams

That’s a few that would meet the criteria.

Yemi Makanjuola
Pops Ndiaye
Brian Williams

That’s a few that would meet the criteria.

I thought that Pops and Yemi were more like 6'8". Those are the physical comparisons that I was thinking about though. Williams had the height but came with the opposite physique. He was too fluffy at signing and did a great job of shedding close to 100 pounds. Walker kind of reminds me of a slightly shorter Williams. They're both great passers and ball handlers that occupy a lot of space in the paint.

I thought that Pops and Yemi were more like 6'8". Those are the physical comparisons that I was thinking about though. Williams had the height but came with the opposite physique. He was too fluffy at signing and did a great job of shedding close to 100 pounds. Walker kind of reminds me of a slightly shorter Williams. They're both great passers and ball handlers that occupy a lot of space in the paint.

They were both taller, but didn’t show anywhere near the upside of this guy. And they sure as heck didn’t have the offer list.

I wonder if this guy is still growing. We've maybe not had an actual 7 footer that's contributed since Steve Hamer and he signed about 25 years ago. Williams was very close to 7'.

They were both taller, but didn’t show anywhere near the upside of this guy. And they sure as heck didn’t have the offer list.

I see Yemi listed at 6'8".

When was Pops on the roster?

So we've had 3 players originally from Africa? Yemi, Pops, and Negadu?

VN Store

Back