Democrats are truly the lowest forms of life the planet has ever seen! Healthcare....

OrangeEmpire

The White Debonair
President Obama to Say Democrats Will Use Reconciliation to Pass Senate Health Care Reform Fix, If Not Given Up or Down Vote - Political Punch

White House officials tell ABC News that in his remarks tomorrow President Obama will indicate a willingness to work with Republicans on some issue to get a health care reform bill passed but will suggest that if it is necessary, Democrats will use the controversial "reconciliation" rules requiring only 51 Senate votes to pass the "fix" to the Senate bill, as opposed to the 60 votes to stop a filibuster and proceed to a vote on a bill.

:sick:

You can add Ronnie Reagan to that list. That idiot used reconciliation to reform elements of healthcare in the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985. It made employers offer COBRA insurance in the case of job loss, death, divorce, reduction of hours, etc.

Go ahead and add George H.W. Bush to the low lifeforms list because he too used reconciliation to reform elements of our healthcare system with the The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990. That act enacted a law that requires all Medicare Supplement policies to be standardized. As well as the tax limit cap on Medicare taxes was raised. Not to mention, that act included a whole host of other entitlement reforms.

Bill Clinton is and always will be a low life form for other reasons but that snake used reconciliation to pass the welfare reform bill, officially known as the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act in 1996.

It has been used by both parties when they really want to get something passed. Its the system we have and the system we have to live with. To the victors goes the spoils. Same goes for Repubs when they win control early next year. They can force an agenda all they want next time around b/c they won.

I love the argument that recognizes the stupidity of the maneuver, yet justifies it because it has been done in the past.

By that token, slavery should still be around.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hooray for government!

I thought Obama was going to change politics as usual - guess not.

Clinton tried the same tactic and failed.

Obozo and company may not be able to use the 'budget reconcilliation' option as they plan.

Reconciliation was established in 1974 to make it easier for Congress to adjust taxes and spending in order to “reconcile” actual revenues and expenditures with a previously approved budget resolution. Thus, at the end of the year, if Congress found that it was running a budget deficit higher than previously projected, it could quickly raise taxes or cut spending to bring the budget back into line. Debate on such measures was abbreviated to just 20 hours (an eyeblink in Senate terms), and there could be no filibuster.

As Robert Byrd, (D-W.V.), one of the original authors of the reconciliation rule, explained, “Reconciliation was intended to adjust revenue and spending levels in order to reduce deficits...it was not designed to…restructure the entire health care system.” He warns that using reconciliation for health care would “violate the intent and spirit of the budget process, and do serious injury to the Constitutional role of the Senate.” In fact, in 1985, the Senate adopted the “Byrd rule,” which prohibits the use of reconciliation for any “extraneous issue” that does not directly change revenues or expenditures. Clearly, large portions of the health care bill, ranging from mandates to insurance regulation to establishing “exchanges,” do not meet that requirement.

With Republicans threatening to challenge any provision that violates the Byrd Rule, Democrats have been contemplating a variety of ways around it, including having Vice President Joe Biden, in his role as president of the Senate, overrule the nonpartisan Senate parliamentarian. But no vice president has overruled a parliamentarian since Nelson Rockefeller in 1976, and doing so now, in defense of a bill opposed by 58 percent of voters, risks a significant backlash.

There are other procedural hurdles as well. For example, any legislation passed under reconciliation cannot increase budget deficits by even one cent between 2010 and 2014.

Moreover, it cannot increase deficits by more than $1 billion beyond 2014—not just overall, but in any single year. Nor can it increase deficits by more than $5 billion over any 10-year period. That is a very hard standard to meet. Indeed, that is why the Bush tax cuts expire.

Reconciliation also cannot impose unfunded mandates on states or businesses in excess of $69 million for states or $139 million for business. The Congressional Budget Office has already noted that health care reform exceeds those ceilings, and expanding Medicaid eligibility or extending the mandate for employers to provide insurance to their workers is another likely dealbreaker.

What we have is political theater, Byrd (who wrote the reconciliation rules) and Conrad (chair of Senate budget committee) have even come out and reiterated obozocare can't be passed using budget reconciliation in recent days.

It would also be out of line to impose fines and/or jail time on individuals who didn't comply with certain stipulations contained in obamacare.

The real problem will emerge when the rinos step up to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

2633.jpg

Last Thursday's first-of-its-kind summit capped off a debate that has lasted nearly a year. Every idea has now been put on the table. Every argument has been made. Both parties agree that the status quo is unacceptable and gets more dire each day. Today, I want to state as clearly and forcefully as I know how: Now is the time to make a decision about the future of health care in America.

The final proposal I've put forward draws on the best ideas from all sides, including several put forward by Republicans at last week's summit. It will put Americans in charge of their own health care, ensuring that neither government nor insurance company bureaucrats can ration, deny, or put out of financial reach the care our families need and deserve.

I strongly believe that Congress now owes the American people a final vote on health care reform. Reform has already passed the House with bipartisan support and the Senate with a super-majority of sixty votes. Now it deserves the same kind of up-or-down vote that has been routinely used and has passed such landmark measures as welfare reform and both Bush tax cuts.

Earlier today, I asked leaders in both houses of Congress to finish their work and schedule a vote in the next few weeks. From now until then, I will do everything in my power to make the case for reform. And now, I'm asking you, the members of the Organizing for America community, to raise your voice and do the same.

The final march for reform has begun, and your participation is crucial. Please commit to join with me to take reform across the finish line:

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | The Final March for Reform

Essentially, my proposal would change three things about the current health care system:

First, it would protect all Americans from the worst practices of insurance companies. Never again will the mother with breast cancer have her coverage revoked, see her premiums arbitrarily raised, or be forced to live in fear that a pre-existing condition will bar her from future coverage.

Second, my proposal would give individuals and small businesses the same choice of private health insurance that members of Congress get for themselves. And my proposal says that if you still can't afford the insurance in this new marketplace, we will offer you tax credits based on your income -- tax credits that add up to the largest middle class tax cut for health care in history.

Finally, my proposal would bring down the cost of health care for everyone -- families, businesses, and the federal government -- and bring down our deficit by as much as $1 trillion over the next two decades. These savings mean businesses small and large will finally be freed up to create jobs and increase wages. With costs currently skyrocketing, reform is vital to remaining economically strong in the years and decades to come.

In the few crucial weeks ahead, you can help make sure this proposal becomes law. Please sign up to join the Organizing for America campaign in the final march for reform:

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | The Final March for Reform

When I talked about change on the campaign, this is what I was talking about: coming together to solve a huge problem that has been troubling America for 100 years and standing up to the special interests to deliver a brighter, smarter future for generations to come.

I look forward to signing this historic reform into law. And when I do, it will be because your organizing played an essential role in making change possible.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

The fear mongering to institute an irreversible gov't entitlement is absolute bullshiz.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The scariest thing about Barack Obama is that he seems alright with being a one-term president as long as he manages to foist the most important parts of his garbage agenda on this country.

The scariest thing about Barack Obama is that he seems alright with being a one-term president as long as he manages to foist the most important parts of his garbage agenda on this country.

What do you expect from someone who surrounds himself with the likes of John Holdren aka "science czar?"

090923johnholdren.jpg

VN Store

Back