Senate Deal Drops Public Option

orangeblooded2

**Temple of Truth**
Replaced with private sector alternative.

washingtonpost.com

"Under the deal, the government plan preferred by liberals would be replaced with a program that would create several national insurance policies administered by private companies but negotiated by the Office of Personnel Management, which oversees health policies for federal workers. If private firms were unable to deliver acceptable national policies, a government plan would be created".

Looks like what Olympia Snowe proposed all along.

Unless I'm understanding it wrong it sounds like well be better off with this than the previous atrocity of leg.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Unless I'm understanding it wrong it sounds like well be better off with this than the previous atrocity of leg.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The only bad or wrong thing to do is nothing. All the players and power brokers are in line to get something better for everyone. Change in our systems was designed to be a slow process by the Founding Fathers. Relatively speaking. Something like this has been talked about for more than a generation. Ultimately a good piece of legislation will be worked out.

it becomes a public option if they determine the private insurance isn't fairly priced. what are the chances they actually consider it fairly priced? 0%?

If private firms were unable to deliver acceptable national policies, a government plan would be created.

Sounds like to me the public option is still in the bill, they are just forcing private companies to foot the bill or the government creates one anyway.

Sounds like to me the public option is still in the bill, they are just forcing private companies to foot the bill or the government creates one anyway.

Maybe not foot the bill. But certainly forcing them to make less profit. I guarantee that the Insurance industry complies. Everyone, industry, and what 50% of the citizens don't want the government option.

I may not know much but it would seem to me that before we go and pass a bill that gives the government the authority to control health insurance we would first investigate the reason for insurance prices and their rise over the last 10 to 15 years. It just seems much more logical to find out what the problem is before we go trying to fix it.

IIRC I saw a story where insurance companies profits are at around 4% on the average, that doesn't sound like gouging to me. It seems there must be some other factor(s) at play here, perhaps the reason we haven't had a study or at least studies like these haven't been publicized is that either politicians or we as a society would not like the results.

obviously he hasn't, he's just parroting the leftist party line that a 2% profit margin is "obscene"

In all fairness, a small percentage of a huge number is still a really big number. That is a truth Sam Walton realized could make him billions.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to sit here and defend the public option or what it would or wouldn't do to private industry.

apparently the healthcare plan requires companies to pay out 90% of the premiums they receive leaving only 10% for administrative cost and profit. no company would agree to such ridiculous terms.

it will never get dropped. do you guys really think it will go through. knowing the dems, after the bill is passed, they'll write it in.

Its about passsing a bill, that gives the government as much control as they can get from the bill. Thats what they are fighting about. It has nothing to do with whats best for America.

VN Store

Back