Biblical debate game.

Orangeslice13

RockyTop is back, Let’s Go!!
Anyone is invited to play

It’s actually a debate game that I engage in at another site.

You post one verse or series of verses but only on continuous thought. Then you get 2 short statements to state your case. Then someone else responds with the same rules. The point is not to win but to understand others point of view. Basically to refine your own beliefs.

It works well for any topic but we can start with eternal torment vs everlasting destruction.

For the purpose of this game we will limit this to the traditional bible canon

Here’s what we have so far.

What comes to my mind initially is ecc 12:7 and Jesus on the cross telling the thief on this day you will be with me in heaven. What verses do you have to Stating yours

Found it luke 23:43

I’ll open with everyone’s favorite verse.

ROMANS 6:23
For the wages of sin is death (thanatos), but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1) Basic logic... If life is literal then so is death.

2) thanatos is Death and not separate, separation or life in torment.

Like 23:43
And YAHUSHA said unto him
Amein I say unto you today,
you shall be with me in paradise.

1)Yahusha said knowing he was dying on the cross that day said TODAY
2) didn’t say anything about the ground and waiting for judgement

Nice.

2 peter 3

7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the YHWH one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 YHWH is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

1) YHWH is outside of time and not bound to its rules of duration or sequence.
2) the “ungodly men” are destroyed at the judgement and not given life in hell.

It’s currently Chevy’s move but anyone can play.

He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of YAHUAH abides on him. JOHN 3:36

1)believers have everlasting life

2)the wrath of Yahuah is the lake of fire

James 2:

You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

1) it’s the spirit that is separated from the body when the body dies. (Thanatos)

2) the soul is connected to the body weather living or Thanatos

James 2:

You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

1) it’s the spirit that is separated from the body when the body dies. (Thanatos)

2) the soul is connected to the body weather living or Thanatos

1.Wrong!
2. and you have offered no scripture to justify such teaching!
2 Corinthians 5:8 (KJV)
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

1.Wrong!
2. and you have offered no scripture to justify such teaching!
2 Corinthians 5:8 (KJV)
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Not how the game is played.

Please play by the rules or go back to your thread

Rev 21:

But for the cowardly and [d]unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and [e]brimstone, which is the second death.”

1) the lawless unbelievers are cast into the lake of fire and suffer the “2nd death”
2) Thanatos is death and always used for death....not separate, separation or life in punishment.

Mathew 13:30

On the day of harvest, first gather the tares to be bundled and burnt. Then gather the wheat to be bundled and put in the barn.

Rev 20:12

And I saw the dead, small and great stand before God. the books were opened and another book was opened, which is the lambs book of life. And the dead were judged according to those things that were written in the books, according to their works.

1-both verses show that there will be a time of judgment. In the first verse, although it may be a parable, it tells what will happen to Gods children and it shows what will happen to the wicked. One being cast into the fire and the other being brought to a safe place. The barn is meaning Heaven.

2- the second verse is also showing a day of judgement. All shall be judged. Those whose names are written in the lambs book of life will be brought into heaven. And, those names that are not, shall be cast out into the fire. This day being called, the great and terrible day of the Lord.

Last edited:

On the day of harvest, first gather the tares to be bundled and burnt. Then gather the wheat to be bundled and put in the barn.

And I saw the dead, small and great stand before God. the books were opened and another book was opened, which is the lambs book of life. And the dead were judged according to those things that were written in the books, according to their works.

Nice verses and please continue to play along.
So the everyone understands you please use one verse or string of verses and give us 2 statements that illustrate the point you’re making.

There are many thoughts that can be taken from the verse you quoted I just want to understand your point of view.

Last edited:
Again.

The point of this exercise isn’t to correct others or advance your point of view. It’s to express your thoughts, understand the way others see scripture and self evaluate.

Acts 23: 26-29

26 “Claudius Lysias, to the most excellent governor Felix, greetings.

27 “When this man was arrested by the Jews and was about to be slain by them, I came up to them with the troops and rescued him, having learned that he was a Roman. 28 “And wanting to ascertain the charge for which they were accusing him, I brought him down to their Council; 29 and I found him to be accused over questions about their Law, but [t]under no accusation deserving death or imprisonment.

1) in acts we find this letter written to say that Paul was accused of violating the law but wasn’t worthy of “death”

2) the word Thanatos is used here for death and is the same word used in Romans 6.

Try to respectfully understand what others are thinking and see what happens.

1) this is why we can’t have nice things

Though we diverge on this matter in its broadest sense. I mean, I started stretching my hammys after reading the thread title...

Overall though, I thought your explanation and expectations were pretty clear regarding the 'game'.

Last edited:

1-both verses show that there will be a time of judgment. In the first verse, although it may be a parable, it tells what will happen to Gods children and it shows what will happen to the wicked. One being cast into the fire and the other being brought to a safe place. The barn is meaning Heaven.

2- the second verse is also showing a day of judgement. All shall be judged. Those whose names are written in the lambs book of life will be brought into heaven. And, those names that are not, shall be cast out into the fire. This day being called, the great and terrible day of the Lord.

Awesome
Thanks for the edit.

Daniel 12.

2 Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and permanent abhorrence. 3 Those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.

1) in verse 2 the NASB renders “Permanent abhorrence” as “everlasting contempt” with either translation it alludes to the judgement being final.
2)Daniel puts this event before the conclusion of the “day of wrath “ or more commonly known the tribulation which can lead to some interesting questions

VN Store

Back