/ 3D-Printed Gun Files Can Be Shared Without Legal Penalty

Grand...

How many parts of say a 9mm pistol would have to be made out of something that couldn't be printed? Like the barrel, and any metal pins?

Or could you print all the parts for a 1 or 2 shot disposable?

Edit..I know you can make a "zip gun" with like a piece of pipe, strong rubber bands, and a nail or lag screw to strike the round ...I am talking about a real pistol type thing...looks like a real pistol but printed

Grand...

How many parts of say a 9mm pistol would have to be made out of something that couldn't be printed? Like the barrel, and any metal pins?

Or could you print all the parts for a 1 or 2 shot disposable?

Edit..I know you can make a "zip gun" with like a piece of pipe, strong rubber bands, and a nail or lag screw to strike the round ...I am talking about a real pistol type thing...looks like a real pistol but printed

I think the biggest concern is that with some firearms, most notably ARs, is that the part defined as the "gun" for Federal tracking is actually just the receiver and isn't really part of the firing/mechanical portion housed in the upper.

The future is fuzzy and I'm not sure what technical advances will be made but I've got little interest in firing anything where printed parts make up any portion of the mechanical/pressure control assembly.

I think the biggest concern is that with some firearms, most notably ARs, is that the part defined as the "gun" for Federal tracking is actually just the receiver and isn't really part of the firing/mechanical portion housed in the upper.

The future is fuzzy and I'm not sure what technical advances will be made but I've got little interest in firing anything where printed parts make up any portion of the mechanical/pressure control assembly.

Marcus, this is part of the deal.

As to how many pieces would need to be tougher than others: barrel, firing pin, maybe the hammer and parts of the frame. Otherwise, the whole thing could be 3-D printed.

Yes, you very well could make a single shot "zip" gun that's entirely printed out of whatever polymer they use, but I'm not sure I'd trust it. Basically, a firearm is a controlled explosion. I'm not sure what the tensile strength of the materials 3-D printers use is, but I'm not going to be the one to test it lol

The problem is many of those parts that require higher strength values are easy to get and relatively uncontrolled. That's where libs and other anti-gunners have issues. You can print nearly everything else, buy a barrel, hammer and firing pin and have a fully functional pistol. It becomes that "ghost gun" they like to screech about since there is no serial number.

found this quote interesting. weapons of war no more?

"Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber — including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms — are not inherently military,"

Reactions: 1 person
I'm cool with this. Given the price of 3D printers and the price of materials, it's not like every 13 year old in the neighborhood will be printing one over the weekend. Maybe it will even lead to some more efficient designs?

I'm more concerned about where you can buy a gun than I am the ability to print one. You can get a Glock and ammo with your antidepressant refill at a pharmacy a couple blocks from me.

They can only have my software when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. But they won't find the copy in the cloud.

When software is outlawed, then only outlaws will have software.

Last edited:
Marcus, this is part of the deal.

As to how many pieces would need to be tougher than others: barrel, firing pin, maybe the hammer and parts of the frame. Otherwise, the whole thing could be 3-D printed.

Yes, you very well could make a single shot "zip" gun that's entirely printed out of whatever polymer they use, but I'm not sure I'd trust it. Basically, a firearm is a controlled explosion. I'm not sure what the tensile strength of the materials 3-D printers use is, but I'm not going to be the one to test it lol

The problem is many of those parts that require higher strength values are easy to get and relatively uncontrolled. That's where libs and other anti-gunners have issues. You can print nearly everything else, buy a barrel, hammer and firing pin and have a fully functional pistol. It becomes that "ghost gun" they like to screech about since there is no serial number.

Question GV..

Rifles and pistols are rifled barrels, to cause the round to spin for accuracy, shotguns have a choke to control spread over distance, right? No way to print a barrel to handle thst pressure or put spin on a round right? Pistols are generally not used past 20 or 30 feet though, not by choice anyway...wonder what kind of accuracy you could get with a normal smooth metal pipe in like a 6 inch barrel? The stuff I have read about zip guns being used were pretty much point blank, a foot or less from the target. It would be neat to build a pistol and print parts for it. Even cooler to build a double barrel shotgun , whether over under or Elmer fudd style

Question GV..

Rifles and pistols are rifled barrels, to cause the round to spin for accuracy, shotguns have a choke to control spread over distance, right? No way to print a barrel to handle thst pressure or put spin on a round right? Pistols are generally not used past 20 or 30 feet though, not by choice anyway...wonder what kind of accuracy you could get with a normal smooth metal pipe in like a 6 inch barrel? The stuff I have read about zip guns being used were pretty much point blank, a foot or less from the target. It would be neat to build a pistol and print parts for it. Even cooler to build a double barrel shotgun , whether over under or Elmer fudd style

2018 Metal 3D Printer Guide - All About Metal 3D Printing | All3DP

there are 3d printers out there that do metal. no idea if they can do the strength needed for guns, but you are starting to see some building components come out of them. and they are generally now considered "industrial" usage, but it wouldn't take too much I imagine to run one out of your home.

I wouldn't be too worried about a 3D printer but a good CNC machine that runs off the same, or similar, software could take good gun steel and make the gun for you. something like the original AKs with how simple they were would not be difficult to make.

2018 Metal 3D Printer Guide - All About Metal 3D Printing | All3DP

there are 3d printers out there that do metal. no idea if they can do the strength needed for guns, but you are starting to see some building components come out of them. and they are generally now considered "industrial" usage, but it wouldn't take too much I imagine to run one out of your home.

I wouldn't be too worried about a 3D printer but a good CNC machine that runs off the same, or similar, software could take good gun steel and make the gun for you. something like the original AKs with how simple they were would not be difficult to make.

It won't be long then. It doesn't take much foresight to see that organized crime, rebels, anybody with millions and a desire for weapons will be printing their own, and the AK is probably the most likely candidate, too. The ATF will probably have task forces dedicated to stamping out gun printing, and the sentences will be federal and ruthless. I would bet that uncle Sam already knows exactly who acquires those machines that print metal, and keeps a close eye. When criminals start getting busted because of that snooping, purchasing equipment will go underground and be sourced from China and the like. Guns are big business,and almost never lose their value. That will be a very lucrative enterprise, and most criminals would rather have an untraceable weapon without serial numbers, for many reasons.

We purchased a 3D printer for my 18 yo son last Christmas. He and I both have assembled AR-15s, with Grands assistance. We explored printing an AR-15 lower. It's very complicated. There are multiple filaments you can use. There are carbon reinforced filaments, ABS and many others. PLA is the most common filaments because of it's ease of use, but it's not as strong as some of the others. We were going to try and use ABS as we got him some with his printer. We started with some test prints of some small objects. We never could get anything to print right. It's bad about warping as the parts cool a different rates. His doesn't have an enclosure which come to find out helps keeping heat in the print chamber helping the part cool slower and at a more consistent rate throughout the part.

Anyway, while there are several AR15 lower prints available, they are very difficult to print.

We purchased a 3D printer for my 18 yo son last Christmas. He and I both have assembled AR-15s, with Grands assistance. We explored printing an AR-15 lower. It's very complicated. There are multiple filaments you can use. There are carbon reinforced filaments, ABS and many others. PLA is the most common filaments because of it's ease of use, but it's not as strong as some of the others. We were going to try and use ABS as we got him some with his printer. We started with some test prints of some small objects. We never could get anything to print right. It's bad about warping as the parts cool a different rates. His doesn't have an enclosure which come to find out helps keeping heat in the print chamber helping the part cool slower and at a more consistent rate throughout the part.

Anyway, while there are several AR15 lower prints available, they are very difficult to print.

There's a reason polymer lowers don't last in the AR line.

There's a reason polymer lowers don't last in the AR line.

I think the application is more for handguns. I make a polymer frame with no serial, you machine the slide, barrel, and internals from steel. Together we’ve made a “ghost gun” that isn’t very different from most things on the market today. And then Luther cries.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back