Roseanne Barr vs Peter Fonda

volinbham

VN GURU
Curious to hear why the reactions have been so different to these two incidents.

Roseanne made a racist tweet. Fonda made a sexist tweet (DHS sect. "lying gash") and suggested physical violence against both woman and a child.

Roseanne lost her show and is an outcast, Fonda is in a movie about to be released (no change in that) and hasn't gotten the wall to wall coverage that Roseanne did.

Personally I find Fonda's to be more hate-filled.

My theory is that the outrage mob with the bigger megaphone is on Fonda's side of the political spectrum and thus rationalize his comments while Roseanne is pilloried because she went after one from said mob's side.

What say you VN

Reactions: 1 person
Curious to hear why the reactions have been so different to these two incidents.

Roseanne made a racist tweet. Fonda made a sexist tweet (DHS sect. "lying gash") and suggested physical violence against both woman and a child.

Roseanne lost her show and is an outcast, Fonda is in a movie about to be released (no change in that) and hasn't gotten the wall to wall coverage that Roseanne did.

My theory is that the outrage mob with the bigger megaphone is on Fonda's side of the political spectrum and thus rationalize his comments while Roseanne is pilloried because she went after one from said mob's side.

What say you VN

They can both ead.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes, the liberal all talk and no action side won't hardly mention the Peter Fonda incident. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Honestly, scumbags are gonna scumbag. If we fired everyone for scumbaggery, unemployment would be sky high. Most in Hollywood and Washington would be gone, including Trump. Personally, I think Barr got a raw deal, but it was a company decision. They made the call as should be their right. There are liberal scumbags who've been let go, as well. There are conservatives who haven't. The ones who make such decisions have to deal with the consequences, positive or negative.

Honestly, scumbags are gonna scumbag. If we fired everyone for scumbaggery, unemployment would be sky high. Most in Hollywood and Washington would be gone, including Trump. Personally, I think Barr got a raw deal, but it was a company decision. They made the call as should be their right. There are liberal scumbags who've been let go, as well. There are conservatives who haven't. The ones who make such decisions have to deal with the consequences, positive or negative.

Liberals are always going to get home cooking in Hollywood. It's not fair, but you're right - it's their decision.

How are you quantifying the disparate treatment?

Amount of media coverage, loss of TV show vs no job related consequences,

It's my opinion of course but I'm sure content analysis would show the media coverage difference being absolutely massive.

Do you think both incidents have been treated the same?

What say you VN

Stating the obvious right here. Only people like Bill Maher, Rachel Maddow and LG would argue any different.

Amount of media coverage, loss of TV show vs no job related consequences,

It's my opinion of course but I'm sure content analysis would show the media coverage difference being absolutely massive.

Do you think both incidents have been treated the same?

No, clearly not equitable - but Hollywood is a progressive place. I can't imagine that anyone would think it'd be fair or be surprised when it isn't.

I don't watch the opinion shows that pretend to sell news so I don't know how much more attention one got than the other. I'll take your word for it.

I can only offer that they can again, both ead.

Another theory is that the Roseanne comment lacked context - Valerie Jarret had not done anything of note at the time of the tweet while Fonda was reacting to a situation that had already been hyped as outrageous and it was basically the culmination of the arms race of who can express more outrage about the immigration situation.

I saw a segment on MSNBC where his comments were strongly denounced. He just isn't as famous nor did he have a show currently airing on television.

Is calling a guy a dick sexist? Is "gash" sexist?

If the reactions are different, it might be in part* due to the fact that Fonda is 78 and irrelevant.

*partisans are always unfair, racism trumps sexism, etc.

agreed but not my question. Why the disparate treatment?

Are you talking about the media? This is anecdotal, and I know more conservatives than liberals, but nobody on social media was freaking out about Roseanne. She got fired, there were a few jokes, the end. The Fonda malcontent is in my feed, so I am not seeing what you're seeing.

Are you talking about the media? This is anecdotal, and I know more conservatives than liberals, but nobody on social media was freaking out about Roseanne. She got fired, there were a few jokes, the end. The Fonda malcontent is in my feed, so I am not seeing what you're seeing.

Yes media along with an immediate cancellation of the show. Coverage was wall to wall for days about Roseanne. It's a blip for Fonda. There are context differences but it's not even close in media coverage.

Is calling a guy a dick sexist? Is "gash" sexist?

If the reactions are different, it might be in part* due to the fact that Fonda is 78 and irrelevant.

*partisans are always unfair, racism trumps sexism, etc.

calling a guy is a dck is less sexist because the term is typically leveled at comments against women.

but yes referring to a woman a gash is considered sexist. suggesting she be stripped naked, caged and put in public for physical abuse probably makes the list too.

If you don't think it's sexist give a try publicly or at work to someone you aren't a friend with and see what happens...:)

Yes media along with an immediate cancellation of the show. Coverage was wall to wall for days about Roseanne. It's a blip for Fonda. There are context differences but it's not even close in media coverage.

Roseanne had one of the biggest shows on TV. Of course they immediately canceled. ABC doesn't want controversy. The people making Skate God are probably happy to know people are finding out about their movie because of Fonda. Thry're already done filming, so why not release?

There are a lot of reasons this isn't a great comparison, but to your point, the entertainment industry treats the two sides differently.

What say you VN

You're wrong.

Roseanne had one of the biggest shows on TV. Of course they immediately canceled. ABC doesn't want controversy. The people making Skate God are probably happy to know people are finding out about their movie because of Fonda. Thry're already done filming, so why not release?

There are a lot of reasons this isn't a great comparison, but to your point, the entertainment industry treats the two sides differently.

I'll add that the traditional media treats the two sides differently as well.

VN Store

Back