University of Chicago drops ACT/SAT requirements

Reactions: 8 people
Step in the right direction. Now we just need more schools to follow and high schools can stop teaching towards taking standardized tests.

Would love that. If a school wants to see what a student knows they should create their own entrance exam.

Does academia trigger you? Let's be honest, isn't a high achieving progressive as equally worthless to you as an underachieving progressive?

Faux outrage imo.

I think this is similar to giving everyone a trophy or a ribbon there is no prize for the best or the top

Reactions: 1 person
Makes sense. Most higher education these days is just a money grab. They just expanded their customer base.

Reactions: 2 people
Step in the right direction. Now we just need more schools to follow and high schools can stop teaching towards taking standardized tests.

How? Do you think students that get a 3.5 GPA at a variety of schools are all equally educated and qualified for college?

If you don't have stadandarized tests then how can you measure this?

How? Do you think students that get a 3.5 GPA at a variety of schools are all equally educated and qualified for college?

entrance exam at the college.

even know you have placement exams, seems like you could take that and make it part of acceptance.

Let them worry about it. Why are people so rankled by change?

Reactions: 4 people
Makes sense. Most higher education these days is just a money grab. They just expanded their customer base.

This explanation makes no sense. If they wanted more students, they would simply stop turning so many away. Brilliant people get turned away from Chicago. They don't need to change their system to get more students.

Reactions: 4 people
This change coupled with tons of people coming out of high school with inflated grades over 4.0 just doesn't make sense to me. I love how everyone cheers this using the reasoning that "people are not able to test well" which hurts them. I don't think I have really met someone who is actually above intelligent that "doesn't test well". Most seem to not test well because they don't know the information.

How do you decide to give scholarships, if everyone has the same GPA of 4.5 on a 4.0 scale? Essays? What about the good testers that don't write well. :confused:

Edit: I do like that they might eventually bust up the monopolies created by the testing organizations. The two tests are only given by those two organizations.

Last edited:

Each school create their own entrance exam duh

This explanation makes no sense. If they wanted more students, they would simply stop turning so many away. Brilliant people get turned away from Chicago. They don't need to change their system to get more students.

Here is some simple math for you.

A height of 1 is greater than a height of zero. Some people can't make it over 1, everyone can make it over zero.

You should send them an application now.

I didn't have the ACT score to get into BYU out of HS, but I transferred there and saw all these kids who had scored 30+ on the ACT struggle in intro to econ. ST's serve a purpose, but I would be surprised if it's the best method for achieving that purpose.

Reactions: 3 people
Here is some simple math for you.

A height of 1 is greater than a height of zero. Some people can't make it over 1, everyone can make it over zero.

You should send them an application now.

Your simple math probably applies to admissions at whatever CC you got your associates from, but demand is not a problem for Chicago.

I didn't have the ACT score to get into BYU out of HS, but I transferred there and saw all these kids who had scored 30+ on the ACT struggle in intro to econ. ST's serve a purpose, but I would be surprised if it's the best method for achieving that purpose.

high standardized tests scores only prove that you are good at taking standardized tests.

I used to prep kids for these tests. All they measure is the quality of your prep for the test.

The material they cover is insanely easy to game as these are standardized and multiple choice. It is not like you are taking boards for a medical specialty or something.

The newer computer adaptive tests are a little harder to prep for, but I could still get anyone who isn't functionally illiterate into the top quartile.

On the old paper test, I got one kid from a 980 to a 1520 on the SAT in 6 weeks. This was a kid who had never read a novel and couldn't differentiate a rhombus from an octagon as a high school junior.

The idea that his 1520 showed his true academic potential, or that prepping for the SAT somehow made him a fundamentally smarter? It actually makes me laugh.

What it probably most measured is the fact that his parents could afford to pay for test prep, and he simply showed up to said prep.

This change is long overdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back