Trump considering pardon for boxer Jack Johnson

Darkman

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/polit...don/index.html

(CNN) President Donald Trump said Saturday that he is considering granting a posthumous pardon to boxer Jack Johnson on the advice of actor Sylvester Stallone.

"Sylvester Stallone called me with the story of heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson. His trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial," Trump tweeted. "Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!"

Johnson, the first African-American world heavyweight boxing champion, was convicted in 1913 under the Mann Act for taking his white girlfriend across state lines for "immoral" purposes. The Mann Act purported to prevent human trafficking for the purpose of prostitution, but critics have argued it was applied inconsistently to criminalize African Americans and those with dissenting political views.

Johnson was convicted by an all-white jury in less than two hours and was imprisoned for a year. The sentence and imprisonment destroyed the boxing career of the "Galveston Giant." He died in 1946.

If he doesnt sign it, he's labeled a racist

Signs it and its labeled a publicity stunt and he should be commuting inmates that are alive

damned if you do, damned if you dont

Reactions: 2 people
I am really surprised that nobody has yet.

He was an absolute scumbag, but this shouldn't have been a crime.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/polit...don/index.html

(CNN) President Donald Trump said Saturday that he is considering granting a posthumous pardon to boxer Jack Johnson on the advice of actor Sylvester Stallone.

"Sylvester Stallone called me with the story of heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson. His trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial," Trump tweeted. "Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!"

Johnson, the first African-American world heavyweight boxing champion, was convicted in 1913 under the Mann Act for taking his white girlfriend across state lines for "immoral" purposes. The Mann Act purported to prevent human trafficking for the purpose of prostitution, but critics have argued it was applied inconsistently to criminalize African Americans and those with dissenting political views.

Johnson was convicted by an all-white jury in less than two hours and was imprisoned for a year. The sentence and imprisonment destroyed the boxing career of the "Galveston Giant." He died in 1946.

If Trump is trying score points with minorities, how about doing something meaningful, like pardoning non-violent drug offenders?

Reactions: 4 people
This isn't about race. Or the boxer. Or Stallone.

This is about Cohen.

Obviously.

Wow. Rent free in your dome. I detested Barry Hussein...but you have posted more about Trump in a year thsn I posted about Barry in 8 years. Seriously. That hiney must be so chapped that you sleep on your stomach from the unbearable butthurt that the shedevil didnt get " her turn"

Reactions: 1 person
Wow. Rent free in your dome. I detested Barry Hussein...but you have posted more about Trump in a year thsn I posted about Barry in 8 years. Seriously. That hiney must be so chapped that you sleep on your stomach from the unbearable butthurt that the shedevil didnt get " her turn"

His tweets over the weekend about this, plus pardoning Libby, plus nondenials from the WH about pardoning Cohen, plus tweets about Cohen not flipping....

DO YOU REALLY NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT HE'S DOING?

You cannot possibly stupid enough to think it's all coincidence.

His tweets over the weekend about this, plus pardoning Libby, plus nondenials from the WH about pardoning Cohen, plus tweets about Cohen not flipping....

DO YOU REALLY NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT HE'S DOING?

You cannot possibly stupid enough to think it's all coincidence.

I thought you said Trump was too stupid to orchestrate something like this.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought you said Trump was too stupid to orchestrate something like this.

This isn't complicated. That's why Trump is so transparently trying to obstruct justice yet again. Nothing to lose at this point.

I really wish he'd hold a press conference. It's been a long time.

VN Store

Back