Memphis may get penalized for removing Confederate statues

Is it standard to use state funds to pay for a city's bicentennial celebration? Seems like a waste of money.

As for the statue part. You can remove the statues, but it doesn't change history. Good or bad, it all still happened. Sometimes we need to remember the bad to truly appreciate the good.

Reactions: 2 people
lol, not according to most folks past Jackson

"This amendment, and the explanation, is hateful, it is unkind, it is un-Christian-like and it is unfair," said state Rep. Raumesh Akbari. "Memphis is a city in this state, and I'm sick of people in this House acting like it's not."

Reactions: 1 person
wow, end of the article is pretty telling.

To proceed with the removal, they sought a waiver from the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act, a law that governs the removal, relocation or renaming of memorials on public property. But the Tennessee Historical Commission denied the city's request.
The denial led the city council to pass legislation in September allowing it to sell parkland to a nonprofit for less than fair market value, Strickland said. In addition to letting the city sell land to a private entity, the law allowed the private entity to remove statutes from its land.
The Memphis City Council then voted unanimously to sell the two parks to a nonprofit, paving the way for the statues' removal. Strickland said the parks were sold for $1,000 each to Memphis Greenspace, a nonprofit led by a Shelby County commissioner. The organization was incorporated after the law's passage in October, Strickland said.

they sold public land to remove the statues.

Reactions: 3 people
Is it standard to use state funds to pay for a city's bicentennial celebration? Seems like a waste of money.

As for the statue part. You can remove the statues, but it doesn't change history. Good or bad, it all still happened. Sometimes we need to remember the bad to truly appreciate the good.

Agreed. We need more participation statues.

Reactions: 4 people

So should we have statues of slave masters raping women and the KKK lynching black men so we can remember good things?

Reactions: 6 people
So should we have statues of slave masters raping women and the KKK lynching black men so we can remember good things?

Yeah, I really can’t wrap my head around some of this stuff and I love military history just as much as anyone. It is what it is and no one should be upset about these statues being removed from public land. They can be displayed in plenty of other places. We shouldn’t forget how many people died and especially what they died for. It’s not a glorious issue or a matter our country should be proud of.

Reactions: 5 people
Reactions: 4 people

People, particularly the left, tripped over their dicks to praise Winnie Mandela after her recent death. They conveniently ignored her track record of violence, human rights abuses and corruption.

No one, however, is saying she shouldn’t be memorialized.

The answer to your above hyperbole is of course, no.

Totally misrepresented what I was saying, which seems to be a common tactic of yours. Does getting rid of Confederate statues change history? Those statues still represent significant events that happened. Do you believe in burning books to? After all, not all books are pleasant and just serve as painful reminders of the past.

It's not about celebrating or supporting the evil things that happened. It's remembering they did happen and committing to not letting them happen again.

Also, please stop being so idiotic.

Reactions: 7 people
Maybe we should just outlaw anything and everything that someone might find offensive. Don't want any hurt feelings after all.

Totally misrepresented what I was saying, which seems to be a common tactic of yours. Does getting rid of Confederate statues change history? Those statues still represent significant events that happened. Do you believe in burning books to? After all, not all books are pleasant and just serve as painful reminders of the past.

It's not about celebrating or supporting the evil things that happened. It's remembering they did happen and committing to not letting them happen again.

Also, please stop being so idiotic.

Is that what was stated on the statues? Did the plaques specifically remind our citizens that they fought a war in an attempt to continue to own other humans as slaves? Was that the purpose of the statues? If so, there would be no reason to remove them.

Is that what was stated on the statues? Did the plaques specifically remind our citizens that they fought a war in an attempt to continue to own other humans as slaves? Was that the purpose of the statues? If so, there would be no reason to remove them.

Sad reply......truly sad....

I’m torn on the subject personally. I like to read and learn about history. So I agree with having memorials and statues but I also believe there are proper places to put such things like battle sites or cemeteries. But Nathan Forrest was a klansman and responsible for the Fort Pillow Massacre so bleep that guy.

I’m torn on the subject personally. I like to read and learn about history. So I agree with having memorials and statues but I also believe there are proper places to put such things like battle sites or cemeteries. But Nathan Forrest was a klansman and responsible for the Fort Pillow Massacre so bleep that guy.

Forrest also renounced those views later in life.

VN Store

Back