The Supreme Court just handed the Trump admin a loss on immigration — Gorsuch was ...

Darkman

The Supreme Court just handed the Trump administration a loss on immigration — and Gorsuch was the tiebreaking vote Business Insider 1h ago

5ad6074e146e7128008b4811-750-375.jpg
Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch. Associated Press/Pablo Martinez Monsivais

• The Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that part of a federal law that makes it easier to deport immigrants convicted of crimes is too vague.
  • The 5-4 ruling handed the Trump administration a loss on a signature issue.
  • Justice Neil Gorsuch, who was appointed by President Donald Trump, joined the court's more liberal justices to cast the deciding vote.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court said Tuesday that part of a federal law that makes it easier to deport immigrants who have been convicted of crimes is too vague to be enforced.

The court's 5-4 decision — an unusual alignment in which new Justice Neil Gorsuch joined the four liberal justices — concerns a catchall provision of immigration law that defines what makes a crime violent. Conviction for a crime of violence makes deportation "a virtual certainty" for an immigrant, no matter how long he has lived in the United States, Justice Elena Kagan wrote in her opinion for the court.

The decision is a loss for President Donald Trump's administration, which has emphasized stricter enforcement of immigration law. In this case, President Barack Obama's administration took the same position in the Supreme Court in defense of the challenged provision.

With the four other conservative justices in dissent, it was the vote of the Trump appointee that was decisive in striking down the provision at issue. Gorsuch did not join all of Kagan's opinion, but he agreed with her that the law could not be left in place. Gorsuch wrote that "no one should be surprised that the Constitution looks unkindly on any law so vague that reasonable people cannot understand its terms and judges do not know where to begin in applying it."

Read more ...

Reactions: 3 people
Gorsuch is qualified and seems to be a good, reasonable man. The whole stink about him is how he acquired his seat, and that’s not fair to him at all.

Good to see he doesn’t follow party lines

Reactions: 1 person
Gorsuch is qualified and seems to be a good, reasonable man. The whole stink about him is how he acquired his seat, and that’s not fair to him at all.

Good to see he doesn’t follow party lines

All of the supreme court judges are smart qualified people.. Somehow ideology makes them good or bad...

I thought the big deal for this "win" of a SCOTUS pick was that he was supposed to vote conservative?

I don't think this decision was really (or should have been) a left/right issue since both Administrations (Obama and Trump) argued for it.

However, the article title makes sure everyone knows it's a big LOSS for Trump, even though the rule was enforced under Obama which is where the case originated.

Anyway, if the law was murky, it needs to be revised. The precedent was set in 2015, so I don't know what the big deal is in making sure the law is more precise.

I thought the big deal for this "win" of a SCOTUS pick was that he was supposed to vote conservative?

I think his decision was a conservative one. The legislature should be specific when they write laws and not leave it open for interpretation to the bureaucrats

I think his decision was a conservative one. The legislature should be specific when they write laws and not leave it open for interpretation to the bureaucrats

I agree. So why didn't the other four conservative justices agree with Gorsuch?

Reactions: 2 people
Can we really break liberal/conservative down between Dem/Repub lines? I think the correct gross breakdown would more closely be liberal/neocon (or, openly liberal/closet liberal).

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back