China threatens 'all necessary measures' if Trump imposes trade tariffs

From the article:

Echoing those comments, an editorial in the state-run China Daily newspaper on Thursday warned that “history has shown the pinpricks of protectionism can ultimately lead to the shots of war somewhere down the line.”

"When goods don't cross borders, soldiers will” - Bastiat

Market down sharply (again) on this news, totally worthy trade off so that a few companies and their stock holders can be subsidized by U.S. protectionism.

Reactions: 2 people
Market down sharply (again) on this news, totally worthy trade off so that a few companies and their stock holders can be subsidized by U.S. protectionism.

Market opened down. They were expecting this along with the rate hike it’s putting short term emotional pressure in the market... again.

"Don't mess with my biscuits and hundies beeotches!" - Carl Pickens

Got my mind on my money got my money on my mind

"Don't mess with my biscuits and hundies beeotches!" - Carl Pickens

Got my mind on my money got my money on my mind

"If it's free, it's for me" - Luther

Just like Biggie so famously quipped, 'mo money, mo problems.'

Reactions: 2 people
Until Trump does an about face on trade policies?

I doubt it. US companies just got flush with cash and their bottom lines are solid. This is nothing in the longer term fir market health as a whole I submit.

And I don’t buy into the Geat Depeession comparison to today. The US was a net exporter then, not so today. And that gets ignored too much. As well as the tariffs on our goods in specific markets like China already.

Reactions: 1 person
I doubt it. US companies just got flush with cash and their bottom lines are solid. This is nothing in the longer term fir market health as a whole I submit.

And I don’t buy into the Geat Depeession comparison to today. The US was a net exporter then, not so today. And that gets ignored too much. As well as the tariffs on our goods in specific markets like China already.

Regardless, a huge portion of our economy relies on imported goods and we export $1.6T worth of goods (10% of our economy).

I doubt we'd ever have back to back depressions again, but isn't a recession bad enough?

Regardless, a huge portion of our economy relies on imported goods and we export $1.6T worth of goods (10% of our economy).

I doubt we'd ever have back to back depressions again, but isn't a recession bad enough?

A recession is coming. Right when the current recession ends the next one is already coming. Real markets come with real markets dynamics and pressures. Attempting to interfere and control the timing of a recession is folly. Educate yourself on money matters and be prepared is the only real deterrent I know of. We are long overdue for a big pullback. We put too much damn juice in the economy on Barry’s watch.

A recession is coming. Right when the current recession ends the next one is already coming. Real markets come with real markets dynamics and pressures. Attempting to interfere and control the timing of a recession is folly. Educate yourself on money matters and be prepared is the only real deterrent I know of. We are long overdue for a big pullback. We put too much damn juice in the economy on Barry’s watch.

Barry was a jackass about the economy, but right now we're talking about Trump expediting and exacerbating the next recession with insanely stupid policies.

Reactions: 4 people
Barry was a jackass about the economy, but right now we're talking about Trump expediting and exacerbating the next recession with insanely stupid policies.

I submit it’s already overdue. Trumps “insanely stupid policies” repatriated a huge amount of money that was offshore. The left will gripe about what’s being done with that money. But having that money back on shore is a very good thing.

I submit it’s already overdue. Trumps “insanely stupid policies” repatriated a huge amount of money that was offshore. The left will gripe about what’s being done with that money. But having that money back on shore is a very good thing.

He has some good policies and he has some terrible policies.

65% of firms said they will use the repatriated money to pay down debt, so not sure what kind of impact it's going to have on the economy, but I'm pretty sure the cost of a trade war would outweigh the benefit of all of Trump's good policies combined.

He has some good policies and he has some terrible policies.

65% of firms said they will use the repatriated money to pay down debt, so not sure what kind of impact it's going to have on the economy, but I'm pretty sure the cost of a trade war would outweigh the benefit of all of Trump's good policies combined.

Companies paying down debt leads to healthy balance sheets and flexibility on capital expenditures and growth related expenses. Of all the ones to discount I think that one is short sighted.

Companies paying down debt leads to healthy balance sheets and flexibility on capital expenditures and growth related expenses. Of all the ones to discount I think that one is short sighted.

They're in debt because they were borrowing to make capital expenditures. The off-shore funds were balancing out those expenditures. We've already seen the benefit of those specific repatriated tax dollars, now it's time to pay for that benefit.

"The only reason why a lot of these companies issued so much debt was that they could not touch the overseas cash - when they now gain access to this cash, it makes sense to use some of it to take out the debt," B

Trump, GOP tax bill: American companies to pay down debt repatriation - Business Insider

VN Store

Back