Teacher Gives Walkout Student an F on Quiz

I sided with not allowing the students to do the walk out. But this seems a bit petty.

Teaches a valuable life lesson that many liberals/left wingers/democrats/libtards don't understand...

Life. Is. Not. Fair.

&

There are consequences for your actions.

Reactions: 10 people
I sided with not allowing the students to do the walk out. But this seems a bit petty.

Really? What is the point of a walkout, which is essentially a sort of rebellion, without consequences.

The modern generation thinks you should stomp your feet and get your way.

Reactions: 7 people
To me that's fair. I was in HS when Columbine occurred, if there had been a rally like this I definitely would have gone just to get out of class. I imagine a lot of other kids did the same. So it's the same as if you went off campus for lunch during a class and missed a quiz.

Most schools have a policy about only being allowed to make up work if you have an excused absence.

Boycotting school isn’t a valid excuse.

That said, I’ve never denied a kid a chance to makeup work

Reactions: 1 person
Teaches a valuable life lesson that many liberals/left wingers/democrats/libtards don't understand...

Life. Is. Not. Fair.

&

There are consequences for your actions.

The teachers bosses told them to not penalize students for participating, and the school encouraged participation in the walkout.

The teacher may be the one who learns that life is not fair.

Reactions: 5 people
Well this is total male bovine excitement. Convenient excuse for the district no?

In Rocklin, California, northeast of Sacramento, history teacher Julianne Benzel told Fox News that she was placed on administrative leave for questioning whether the Rocklin Unified School District would also allow students to cut class to participate in the anti-abortion March for Life.

“If you’re going to allow students to get up and walk out without penalty, then you’re going to have to allow any group of students that wants to protest,” Benzel told the network.

District officials, however, told Fox News that Benzel was not punished for her pro-life comments but as a result of complaints about her handling of the walkout.

“The teacher was not penalized or placed on leave based on her viewpoints…The district can clarify that the action was taken due to complaints from parents and students involving the teacher’s communications regarding…the student-led remembrance activities,” district spokesperson Diana Capra said in a statement.

Guess those teachers are glad to know the district has their back.

Most schools have a policy about only being allowed to make up work if you have an excused absence.

Boycotting school isn’t a valid excuse.

That said, I’ve never denied a kid a chance to makeup work

This is not meant to be a personal attack against you 8188, as you strike me as both a competent and compassionate teacher, but I disagree with your position above... largely based on my own kids' personal experiences.

When I asked my son a few years back why he wasn't worried about completing an assignment, his reply was that it wasn't a big deal because he could always do it over to get a better grade. Kids quickly learn how to play by (i.e. take advantage of) the "rules", and getting a "do over" for work that should have been done on time (and/or done better) can quickly and easily create a bad habit.

Didn't you say parents should teach kids to question authority? Why would they be trusting the administration in the first place?

I've said kids should be taught to challenge and be skeptical of authority. I'm not sure why that would mean I think a teacher unnecessarily creating distrust between admin and students is of value, let alone of so much value that he should be awarded teacher of the year.

This is not meant to be a personal attack against you 8188, as you strike me as both a competent and compassionate teacher, but I disagree with your position above... largely based on my own kids' personal experiences.

When I asked my son a few years back why he wasn't worried about completing an assignment, his reply was that it wasn't a big deal because he could always do it over to get a better grade. Kids quickly learn how to play by (i.e. take advantage of) the "rules", and getting a "do over" for work that should have been done on time (and/or done better) can quickly and easily create a bad habit.

If kids can "quickly learn to play by the rules", then why does 8188 have to have condition them with the same rules a future employer might have?

There is a lot more to be learned in school then just how to be a good employee. I imagine 8188 cares that his students understand math, not deadlines.

I had a chemistry professor in college that would allow you to take a make up test if you missed one, but he'd make it twice as difficult as the original. It only happened to me once

I had a chemistry professor in college that would allow you to take a make up test if you missed one, but he'd make it twice as difficult as the original. It only happened to me once

My Dad is an econ professor. He allows no late work. No late tests. He does allow you to drop a homework assignment and a quiz.

That being said, college is different from HS. In 8188's case, if you tell a kid they can't turn in late work, then they won't do the work at all. I'm sure he'd just rather have students doing the work late, than not at all.

I've said kids should be taught to challenge and be skeptical of authority. I'm not sure why that would mean I think a teacher unnecessarily creating distrust between admin and students is of value, let alone of so much value that he should be awarded teacher of the year.

Maybe this teacher was taught the same idea.

If kids can "quickly learn to play by the rules", then why does 8188 have to have condition them with the same rules a future employer might have?

There is a lot more to be learned in school then just how to be a good employee. I imagine 8188 cares that his students understand math, not deadlines.

Because as I said in my post, quickly learning to "put things off" or "turning in poor work" creates bad habits, and bad habits sometimes take more time to change. As to your second point, why are you suggesting that understanding math and understanding deadlines are mutually exclusive?

My Dad is an econ professor. He allows no late work. No late tests. He does allow you to drop a homework assignment and a quiz.

That being said, college is different from HS. In 8188's case, if you tell a kid they can't turn in late work, then they won't do the work at all. I'm sure he'd just rather have students doing the work late, than not at all.

So your honest belief is that every kid who is told they can't turn in late work, will choose not to turn it in at all? That's a rather odd view of things and would really be interested in why you choose to believe that.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not sure how public schools can allow one protest and not another. They might have just opened Pandora's box.

VN Store

Back