Philosophy as a Concrete Subject

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
So, at least twice, I've seen the comment that infers that philosophy is not concrete. Funny that I feel differently and I'm wrong, seeing as I only have a PhD and teach philosophy. But, prior to giving reasons for why it's concrete, I'd like to pose the following questions for those who believe otherwise.

1. Is math concrete?

2. What is the right answer to the following, 15+17?

I await your responses (oh, and I ask these same questions to my students when they say they don't get philosophy because they are mathematically or scientifically minded).

So, at least twice, I've seen the comment that infers that philosophy is not concrete. Funny that I feel differently and I'm wrong, seeing as I only have a PhD and teach philosophy. But, prior to giving reasons for why it's concrete, I'd like to pose the following questions for those who believe otherwise.

1. Is math concrete?

I await your responses (oh, and I ask these same questions to my students when they say they don't get philosophy because they are mathematically or scientifically minded).

As to the math question are we to use common core or basic knowledge to get our answer? Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

1. Is math concrete? No. math is a bunch of numbers and **** some of which are imaginary and concrete is a heavy, rough building material made from a mixture of broken stone or gravel, sand, cement, and water

2. What is the right answer to the following, 15+17? WTF is this... Some kind of TRUT voodoo trick question?

Answers are above...

Reactions: 2 people
Just because I’m curious I’m going to say 32. This sounds interesting, really.

1. Is math concrete?

No we’re on your side. The person whom made that statement has page after page of circular nonsensical arguments.

I had one philosophy class while at UT. Elementary Logic. Philosophy 101. It was Boolean Algebra. That’s math plain and simple.

Yes Philosophy is concrete in rigor of application of logic. The struggle occurs I think in the abstraction of the initial debate and problem statement. Once you reduce the “word problem” to basic Boolean algebra expressions then you turn the crank on the math. And that is pretty concrete.

Did I pass?

i am just wondering if he will go transitive or reverse engineering to break the math.

Philosophy is concrete. It has standard concepts and rules.
How their applied can differ.

15+17= 32

15+17? Well thats a question not a math equation.

I am going to also play the game.

1. It is as concrete as anything.
2. 32

but as far as philosophy goes it depends on what you mean. The act of the argument and thought itself is certainly not concrete, but the subject matter itself may be. the reason I say it isn't is because there are multiple philosophies on philosophy. as far as I have seen there is no unified, agreed upon philosophy in practice. one can be internally consistent, and there can be an ideal out there; but as to what philosophy IS, no it is not concrete.

Base 10 or base 8 or base 16?

The concept - if I have a basket of 15 apples and put 17 more in, I will have 32 apples - anywhere I go.

I’m open to being told I’m wrong, but I’m not going to overthink it. If I don’t have 32 apples, I would like to hear why.

The concept - if I have a basket of 15 apples and put 17 more in, I will have 32 apples - anywhere I go.

I’m open to being told I’m wrong, but I’m not going to overthink it. If I don’t have 32 apples, I would like to hear why.

That wasn’t his problem statement.

What this demonstrates is that while 32 is the best answer (its complete and as simple as it can be, thus the best from the view of Ockham's Razor), there are an infinite number of right answers. And, this is the case with all math problems, and mathematics is rightly understood as the most concrete of all the disciplines.

What makes these infinite right answers right is that they all abide by certain laws of operations. In philosophy, there are an infinite number of right arguments, and what makes them right is they abide by laws of inference. And, like math, there are very few best answers.

A lot of people see philosophy as not concrete because there are so many right answers. But, this cannot be the criteria of firmness for a discipline, unless we are willing to say that math is not concrete.

Here's where I come in and ask, doesn't 15+17 equal 16+16 or 30+2 or 29+1+1+1 or 64/2?

Aren't these right answers, then?

I would say 32 = 32. You can get there infinite ways. All those expressions are equal, sure. Eventually it comes down to 32 apples in the basket.

32 is 32, though, and it’s the answer.

If you would ask how many correct ways can we reach the number, I would say there are many answers.

The "answer" is 32 because THE MAN tells you it's 32. Don't conform. And who's to say those are even numbers? Maybe letters are numbers. Ever think of that?

Reactions: 1 person
I would say 32 = 32. You can get there infinite ways. All those expressions are equal, sure. Eventually it comes down to 32 apples in the basket.

32 is 32, though, and it’s the answer.

If you would ask how many correct ways can we reach the number, I would say there are many answers.

I categorically agree.

VN Store

Back