House Rejects Bill Allowing Dying People to Try Experimental Drugs

Most of the opposition came from Democrats, who said the bill gave false hope to patients and could actually endanger people dying of incurable diseases, because it would undermine protections provided by the Food and Drug Administration.

“By defeating this bill tonight, we protected patients and supported F.D.A.’s continued role in approving experimental treatments that may help save a patient’s life,” said Representative Frank Pallone Jr. of New Jersey, the senior Democrat on the Energy and Commerce Committee. “This bill should have never been on the House floor in the first place since it was only introduced today.”

highlighted is the main reason. keep the control in government hands. can't have doctors going around solving problems in a fashion that doesn't maximize big pharma's profits.

Reactions: 6 people
Agree with OP.

Another case of government being involved in something they have no business.

There is an opportunity here with the shrinking world - ease of communication/transportation, for places outside of America to develop groundbreaking advances at a faster rate.

The children should march and demand that the Dems stop taking money from the drug lobbyist.

Blood on their hands...

Reactions: 4 people
Big pharma has more say in our lives than we do. They’re probably behind the disappearance of the missing CDC expert in Atlanta that vanished without a trace.

Reactions: 3 people
My Democratic congresswoman (Sinema) crossed party lines and voted for it. Not that I'll vote for her, but I hope she wins Flake's seat. She's about as good as you can hope for.

As the son of a sweet sweet lady who is fading each day with Alzheimer's disease, it's very frustrating how hard it is to get her on some experimental drugs. I mean, what does she have to lose?

The FDA has a role in protecting citizens, but it's far too oppressive currently. It hinders innovation and restricts access to good treatments that are already available elsewhere. It's also part of the reason our drug costs are so high.

Reactions: 2 people
Well if Trump is for it you know Dems will be lining up in opposition

RESIST! The only bill worth seeing the house floor are Articles of IMPEACHMENT

As the son of a sweet sweet lady who is fading each day with Alzheimer's disease, it's very frustrating how hard it is to get her on some experimental drugs. I mean, what does she have to lose?

Sorry, man. I feel like we're only about a decade away on Alzheimer's, but that's of no help to you

Reactions: 1 person
I mean, what does she have to lose?

Exactly. A terminally ill patient that had exhausted all other options sort of Devine help had nothing to lose. What's the worse case scenario? You die a little quicker. Best case scenario? You're cured. Most likely you'll get something in between, maybe live a little longer, or maybe just an improvement in quality of last days. If the person is of sound mind they should have the right to take that risk. Even if it doesn't help them maybe they will learn something that will help others.

So we didn't need to know FTR that he supported it?

No, you didn't need to know anything.

Mentioning Trump's position and baselessly attributing a motivating factor to D's are two different things. Did you need that explained to you?

Exactly. A terminally ill patient that had exhausted all other options sort of Devine help had nothing to lose. What's the worse case scenario? You die a little quicker. Best case scenario? You're cured. Most likely you'll get something in between, maybe live a little longer, or maybe just an improvement in quality of last days. If the person is of sound mind they should have the right to take that risk. Even if it doesn't help them maybe they will learn something that will help others.
Andy, the actor, or Dan, the football coach?

No, you didn't need to know anything.

Mentioning Trump's position and baselessly attributing a motivating factor to D's are two different things. Did you need that explained to you?

Just thought it funny you needed to post his position on it, then get the red ass because somebody ran with it.

You act as if this is the first time you ve logged on to this forum and was surprised with the response.

Oh, well. Carry on.

Reactions: 5 people
And FTR its not some conspiracy that politicians have had their position swayed because they dont want to be attached to a policy or another politician for their own career sake. Especially when they cross the isle. Regardless of whether its good.

Most politicians are probably psychopaths and voting in a way that doesn't personally benefit then just doesn't register because they see society as nothing more than an ant hill. Those that voted against this deserve a painful, chronic illness like Jeff Sessions deserves an unbearably painful ailment with full access to Advil to alleviate his pain.

Just thought it funny you needed to post his position on it, then get the red ass because somebody ran with it.

You act as if this is the first time you ve logged on to this forum and was surprised with the response.

Oh, well. Carry on.

He "ran" with it? He made a non sequitur statement. Who cares if I'm supposedly surprised? What does that have to do with anything? Were you surprised to find somebody else acts like Trump is his BF?

He "ran" with it? He made a non sequitur statement. Who cares if I'm supposedly surprised? What does that have to do with anything? Were you surprised to find somebody else acts like Trump is his BF?

Look at you, poor little snowflake. Lol

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back