GOP Has A Big Demographics Problem

Thus far haven’t millenials been too bothered with that whole “voting” thing? If Dems can get a smart phone app approved then agreed Repubs are screwed.

Reactions: 1 person
Anecdotally, most folks I know who voted for Trump are baby boomers longing for yesteryear. They're grumpy and DGAF what anyone thinks. Pretty sure Trump locked down that demographic. The younger voters are definitely more liberal.

Honestly, though, this is cyclical. It's almost like a grass is greener phenomenon. When things are looking down, we blame the party in power and vote the other way, and vice versa. Ironically, both parties pretty much suck.

Reactions: 6 people
Anecdotally, most folks I know who voted for Trump are baby boomers longing for yesteryear. They're grumpy and DGAF what anyone thinks. Pretty sure Trump locked down that demographic. The younger voters are definitely more liberal.

Honestly, though, this is cyclical. It's almost like a grass is greener phenomenon. When things are looking down, we blame the party in power and vote the other way, and vice versa. Ironically, both parties pretty much suck.

Truth

The young are generally liberal, idealistic, and used to living off of someone else's production. The older one gets, the more conservative they usually become.

Reactions: 2 people
The young are generally liberal, idealistic, and used to living off of someone else's production. The older one gets, the more conservative they usually become.

Quarterly taxes can sober up even the most idealistic of liberals.

Democrats were supposed to be dead in the 90s. Republicans were done in the 2000s. These proclamations are always wrong.

The only guarantee is that the overall movement will continue left. We swing back and forth but the swing itself constantly shifts to the left.

Reactions: 3 people
The only guarantee is that the overall movement will continue left. We swing back and forth but the swing itself constantly shifts to the left.

....And the parties evolve. 5 years ago, your very own Democrats held the current Republican position on immigration. 50 years ago, a lot of them were fighting the Civil Rights Act.

Historically, that's been true (the move from left to right as one ages), but I think the story is saying that's starting to change: a lot more people are keeping their left-leaning as they age.

Reactions: 4 people
Historically, that's been true (the move from left to right as one ages), but I think the story is saying that's starting to change: a lot more people are keeping their left-leaning as they age.

It's also a function of an individual staying stagnant as society as a whole continually shifts left. That stagnation causes the individual's position on the continuum to appear to be moving right. In actuality, it's not so much that the individual is changing but more that the individual is not changing.

....And the parties evolve. 5 years ago, your very own Democrats held the current Republican position on immigration. 50 years ago, a lot of them were fighting the Civil Rights Act.

Yes, but so will the Republican party.

I suspect things that are important to conservatives, like traditional marriage, will have less weight in the Republican party.

I would say the people that came of age in the 60’s and 70’s are the most liberal ever produced in our history. Yet look at our current politics. I’m not concerned about some wave of liberal takeover. Get the idealistic masses into the workforce with a mortgage and kids and then show them the tax bill for universal healthcare and guaranteed income that they’d be on the hook for. They will age out of their college ideals pretty quick.

It's also a function of an individual staying stagnant as society as a whole continually shifts left. That stagnation causes the individual's position on the continuum to appear to be moving right. In actuality, it's not so much that the individual is changing but more that the individual is not changing.

You keep using this lame argument, but who’s in control of all three branches?

For a country shifting left, the right sure has prevailed as of late, and at all levels of government (state and national).

How many state governorships are held by a Republican? How many Houses/Senates?

By all means, let’s hear your “but..but..but she won by 3M votes, I’m with her” BS.

You keep using this lame argument, but who’s in control of all three branches?

For a country shifting left, the right sure has prevailed as of late, and at all levels of government (state and national).

How many state governorships are held by a Republican? How many Houses/Senates?

By all means, let’s hear your “but..but..but she won by 3M votes, I’m with her” BS.
The problem for the Democrats is no matter what the shift is, they basically punted on the south and Midwest in favor of a big state strategy for a number of years.

I would say the people that came of age in the 60’s and 70’s are the most liberal ever produced in our history. Yet look at our current politics. I’m not concerned about some wave of liberal takeover. Get the idealistic masses into the workforce with a mortgage and kids and then show them the tax bill for universal healthcare and guaranteed income that they’d be on the hook for. They will age out of their college ideals pretty quick.

The offspring of the Boomers.

If you actually think about what has changed from the 60s/70s to today, it's pretty astounding.

I lived in a completely segregated neighborhood, went to a segregated school, ate at whites only restaurants, everything was closed on Sundays, the only acceptable and acknowledged lifestyle was heterosexual, and the only acceptable religion was Protestant Christian.

The idealism didn't disappear, it remained in many and was passed down to the next generation. Even todays repubs. would have looked like leftist democrats in the 60's.

Reactions: 2 people

Correct, baby boomers believe in working for a living and making their own decisions. Horrible thought to the younger crowd but I agree both parties suck. Need a Centralist Party.

VN Store

Back