PA District Map Redrawn

evillawyer

Dark Brandon, B*tches!
Reactions: 3 people
District 12 in North Carolina is probably the worst case of racial gerrymandering in the country. It's shaped like a two-headed snake.

Reactions: 1 person
Gerrymandering is ridiculous and is abused by both parties. Such redrawing should be done throughout the country.

Gerrymandering is ridiculous and is abused by both parties. Such redrawing should be done throughout the country.

It’s only called gerrymandering by the losers in a redistricting debate. Dems called the GOP play in PA gerrymandering. Now GOP will probably return the favor.

Rinse repeat ad infinitum

It’s only called gerrymandering by the losers in a redistricting debate. Dems called the GOP play in PA gerrymandering. Now GOP will probably return the favor.

Rinse repeat ad infinitum

Seems there should be a general non-partisan rule regarding districting. If the lines become too irregular, that's a violation. Either party being able to redraw a district in a ridiculous pattern just to increase their chances of winning or maintaining that district is an abuse of the voters.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems there should be a general non-partisan rule regarding districting. If the lines become too irregular, that's a violation. Either party being able to redraw a district in a ridiculous pattern just to increase their chances of winning or maintaining that district is an abuse of the voters.

Only way I see to do that is let card carrying Green Party and Libertarians draw the district lines. The Reps and Dems should be able to get behind that right?

I've actually heard the tradition defense for Gerrymandering which is mindboggling. Seems like most developed nations have some sort of working nonpartisan commission/court that draws the lines, can't understand why it always seems to take us forever to implement common sense.

I've actually heard the tradition defense for Gerrymandering which is mindboggling. Seems like most developed nations have some sort of working nonpartisan commission/court that draws the lines, can't understand why it always seems to take us forever to implement common sense.

liberals.

liberals.

Yes, because it makes so much sense to let the party in power draw the electoral lines. What could possibly go wrong with that? I'm sure they'd never do anything to entrench themselves. History shows that neither Dems nor Republicans can be trusted to draw lines fairly. Hence, bi-partisan commissions make a lot more sense.

Presumably you'd object if a legislature passed a law saying they only had to get 45% of the vote in the next election to keep their seat. When you gerrymander, you're effectively accomplishing the same end, either by diluting or enhancing the power of particular people's votes.

This should be a non-partisan issue, but since demographics aren't in the GOP's favor, they'll fight tooth and nail to make sure we don't have fair districting. Gerrymandering is an anti-democratic power grab, plain and simple.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes, because it makes so much sense to let the party in power draw the electoral lines. What could possibly go wrong with that? I'm sure they'd never do anything to entrench themselves. History shows that neither Dems nor Republicans can be trusted to draw lines fairly. Hence, bi-partisan commissions make a lot more sense.

Presumably you'd object if a legislature passed a law saying they only had to get 45% of the vote in the next election to keep their seat. When you gerrymander, you're effectively accomplishing the same end, either by diluting or enhancing the power of particular people's votes.

This should be a non-partisan issue, but since demographics aren't in the GOP's favor, they'll fight tooth and nail to make sure we don't have fair districting. Gerrymandering is an anti-democratic power grab, plain and simple.

There's no such thing as bi-partisan. Tom Foley ensured bi-partisanship and cooperation was dead.

So either keep it as is or go to a grand jury type selection of people to decide redistricting, no politicians.

There's no such thing as bi-partisan. Tom Foley ensured bi-partisanship and cooperation was dead.

So either keep it as is or go to a grand jury type selection of people to decide redistricting, no politicians.

Various ways to skin the cat as far as remedying the problem, but sticking with the status quo is NOT the way to go if you care about having a democracy that reflects the will of its citizens.

Various ways to skin the cat as far as remedying the problem, but sticking with the status quo is NOT the way to go if you care about having a democracy that reflects the will of its citizens.

Well we are not a democracy, and that idea sailed with the ratification of the 17th amendment.

Well we are not a democracy, and that idea sailed with the ratification of the 17th amendment.

Since the senate is anti-democratic (small population states such as Wyoming have as much power as large states like CA), lets just allow the house to be as anti-democratic as the state legislatures can make it through gerrymandering. That's a real winning argument. I'll have to remember that one. No one could possibly find fault in that argument.

Since the senate is anti-democratic (small population states such as Wyoming have as much power as large states like CA), lets just allow the house to be as anti-democratic as the state legislatures can make it through gerrymandering. That's a real winning argument. I'll have to remember that one. No one could possibly find fault in that argument.

I'm all for changing the way districts are drawn I'm just 100% against including politicians in the process. Let it be a random draw of citizens like a grand jury but maybe with some set of requirements.

I'm also for repealing the 17th amendment and going back to state legislatures electing Senators.

VN Store

Back