Does 15 year old Peter Wang deserve full military burial?

He wasn't in the military so no.

The shooter was in JROTC. Should he get a military burial when his time comes?

Reactions: 2 people
Having just buried my dad and my brother, both with full honors, my vote is to show the kid how classy our military is and give him the honors his age had kept him from truly earning yet..our military would have been proud of his sacrifice were he 2 or 3 years older...and he was killed in uniform for petes sake. Very proud of that young man. I am sure his JROTC color guard could do the ceremony, but their rifles if still like mine was 20 years ago are Springfield rifles that cant fire the blank rounds necessary for the 21 gun salute that is customary. They would need help with that

Reactions: 5 people
pretty sure DD precludes one from a formal military burial.

Exactly. But he wasn't in the military, only JROTC.

Who can get one?

Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.

Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly. But he wasn't in the military, only JROTC.

Who can get one?

Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.

Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

my point was that including the victim would not give the killer the same benefits.

Here is what the DoD could do. They could give honorary enlistments/commissions to them THEN they can get the military funeral...I think. I wouldn't have any issue with that.

But as a poster said..they shoot guns at those funerals..so...

Having just buried my dad and my brother, both with full honors, my vote is to show the kid how classy our military is and give him the honors his age had kept him from truly earning yet..our military would have been proud of his sacrifice were he 2 or 3 years older...and he was killed in uniform for petes sake. Very proud of that young man. I am sure his JROTC color guard could do the ceremony, but their rifles if still like mine was 20 years ago are Springfield rifles that cant fire the blank rounds necessary for the 21 gun salute that is customary. They would need help with that

That is very gracious of you. I suspect most families of military persons feel the way you do. Its an honor to be shared whenever it can be, not compared to others to make it somehow exclusive.

Reactions: 3 people
Actual veterans are not getting burials with full honors with active duty soldiers because of shortages. I'd be a little pissed if this kid got one.

Now if the FL NG and/or his JROTC class wanted to provide it, no problem at all.

Reactions: 3 people
Actual veterans are not getting burials with full honors with active duty soldiers because of shortages. I'd be a little pissed if this kid got one.

Now if the FL NG and/or his JROTC class wanted to provide it, no problem at all.

I did not know that. Is that geographic or what?

I did not know that. Is that geographic or what?

In many areas you have voluntary honor guards whom provide this service to veterans. In east TN where I grew up in our county the honor guard covers a three county region. They provide their own weapons, uniforms, transportation, etc... and do it on their time.

The commander of the local guard was my brothers best friend. When we buried my father, a career service veteran and veteran of foreign wars, the entire honor guard was turned out to pay respects. And I have all of the brass. It was a beautiful ceremony.

I hate to be “that guy” but there is no obligation by the military or the local honor guard branch to provide full honors. It is a right earned by and recognition of their service to their country.

These young individuals sound amazing and were clearly demonstrating the attributes and character directly in line with the expectations of a service career. But sadly they did not check that box of actual service. I do not know if there is an equivalent service provided by the recruit Corps I hope there is and these young individuals indeed acted bravely and heroically.

I wouldn’t say a word if honors are provided. But when resources are strained to provide honors to veterans I’d be pissed if I was a family member that didn’t get this service when these young people did.

I say no too, Lots of people think being in the ROTC gives you the same privedges as being active duty military. News flash, it doesn’t.

Can’t imagine being there and seeing 7 people with rifles and firing off their guns.

In many areas you have voluntary honor guards whom provide this service to veterans. In east TN where I grew up in our county the honor guard covers a three county region. They provide their own weapons, uniforms, transportation, etc... and do it on their time.

The commander of the local guard was my brothers best friend. When we buried my father, a career service veteran and veteran of foreign wars, the entire honor guard was turned out to pay respects. And I have all of the brass. It was a beautiful ceremony.

I hate to be “that guy” but there is no obligation by the military or the local honor guard branch to provide full honors. It is a right earned by and recognition of their service to their country.

These young individuals sound amazing and were clearly demonstrating the attributes and character directly in line with the expectations of a service career. But sadly they did not check that box of actual service. I do not know if there is an equivalent service provided by the recruit Corps I hope there is and these young individuals indeed acted bravely and heroically.

I wouldn’t say a word if honors are provided. But when resources are strained to provide honors to veterans I’d be pissed if I was a family member that didn’t get this service when these young people did.

More and more there simply aren't veterans available to do the guard work. I helped an AL post awhile back and they had two Korean vets on duty. They said they average about a funeral a day. It's hard to find non-retired guys to attend these services on a weekday. On Saturdays they can have 3 or 4 to attend, sometimes they simply can't cover them all. Another problem they have is keeping the Garands serviceable. For most of them it's been decades since they were issued one, some of them not at all. Blanks are incredibly dirty so you have to stay on top of them cleaning wise. To get 7 functional rifles is a feat by itself. Then a BFA breaks loose and the gas cylinder launches into the cemetery and they're down a working gun.

I'm guessing when they stick the needle in Nidal Hassan's arm and kill his peace loving islamic ass he won't get military honors.

I will bet his religious concerns are respected though. They should throw his body out in the desert and let the buzzards eat him.

Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!! - YouTube

Last edited:

VN Store

Back