Food in Lieu of Food Stamps?

White House wants to deliver food to the poor, Blue Apron-style - Feb. 12, 2018

Claims it can save $130 Billion. Not sure I believe that given the boxes will have to be created, packaged and delivered. I'm sure there will be specific needs with food allergies and what not, creating opportunity for liability if a mistake is made.

It's not a bad idea, but if we aren't saving any more money, it just looks like another layer to a program already rife with fraud and abuse. Also says receipients are still getting benefit vouchers. This may actually cost more in the end.

Reactions: 2 people
Post your predictions on which VN regular will call this racist/discriminatory first???????

I can't see how this would save money but if it does, go for it.

I can't see how this would save money but if it does, go for it.

My guess?

People will begin self-selecting out since they will be less able to sell benefits for cash.

EDIT: Or have more incentive to get off of assistance because they're tired of beans, rice, government cheese, and canned goods.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
My guess?

People will begin self-selecting out since they will be less able to sell benefits for cash.

Probably so, I didn't think about that. I still think it would be cheaper to limit what can be purchased to staple items only and put a photo ID on their card.

Probably so, I didn't think about that. I still think it would be cheaper to limit what can be purchased to staple items only and put a photo ID on their card.

Photo ID is racist, remember.

One other thing is that this could be a way to directly cut waste and encourage farming with the government buying and distributing farm products...but that I'm not too sold on.

Reactions: 2 people
Photo ID is racist, remember.

One other thing is that this could be a way to directly cut waste and encourage farming with the government buying and distributing farm products...but that I'm not too sold on.

NO! We need to follow New Zeland's model and do away with subsidies. And yes I still have interest in the family dairy farm.

Reactions: 1 person
NO! We need to follow New Zeland's model and do away with subsidies. And yes I still have interest in the family dairy farm.

I don't know enough about farm subsidies here to have a real opinion on them- that was just something I'd seen posted elsewhere.

Easiest is way is have these distributed at grocery stores.

Create food stamp checkout section with these defined goods. Peanut butter, water, cereal, milk, etc.

No need to create a supply process. Recipients have already proven the ability to get to the stores.

I don't know enough about farm subsidies here to have a real opinion on them- that was just something I'd seen posted elsewhere.

If we ended subsidies a lot of small family farms would go under but the good ones would survive and prosper. It would lead to more consolidation by corporate farms (IMO) which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Food prices would surely go up.

FWIW - The food stamp program should be set up like WIC, INSHO. You get staples. Period. I don't pay to have you get ribeyes and junk food. The idea is a worthy one, but we've gotten away from the intent of making sure people didn't go hungry.

Reactions: 3 people
FWIW - The food stamp program should be set up like WIC, INSHO. You get staples. Period. I don't pay to have you get ribeyes and junk food. The idea is a worthy one, but we've gotten away from the intent of making sure people didn't go hungry.

And you claimed to be a liberal just this morning...

Reactions: 1 person

Inch thick rib-eye isn't a staple?

VN Store

Back