Obamas' portraits unveiled at Smithsonian

Darkman

By Judy Kurtz - 02/12/18 10:46 AM EST

Portraits of former President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama now have a permanent place at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.

The ex-commander in chief and first lady looked on as the new works of art were unveiled Monday at the National Portrait Gallery.

"Nobody in the family tree as far as I can tell had a portrait done," the former president said, after eyeing his colorful portrait by artist Kehinde Wiley.

"I do have my high school yearbook picture — which is no great shakes," he added with a grin.

Read more: Obamas' portraits unveiled at Smithsonian | TheHill

180212-barack-obama-portrait-unveil-njs-1049a_f523479b0d006da9701873bad9e3fe6c.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

obama.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F180212161207-barack-michelle-obama-portraits.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Very Nice! A fantastic honor for both of them, truly a beautiful family.

Reactions: 6 people
Looks like she ran out of time and had to hurry to finish the First Lady's.

Nothing like a portrait of the former President sitting in a patch of poison ivy.

He's pretty photogenic and it should be easy to translate that onto canvas, but I'm not fond of that particular picture of him. But if he's happy with it, so be it.

Reactions: 4 people
Why are you going to middle school art shows?

Like most Americans, I was once in middle school. Like many Americans, I participated in said shows. And, like many other Americans, I have siblings and cousins that have also gone through middle school.

While it's a great way to add artistic personalization I'm not a fan of the conceptual style of portraiture for "the president's portrait" to hang in the Smithsonian. In few years it will be as dated as a 60s era split level. I'm more for the more formal classical style as the go to for a much more presidential presentation.

Reactions: 2 people
Michelle hopes her portrait inspires young girls. Barack hopes his doesn't look too dumb.

Last edited:
While it's a great way to add artistic personalization I'm not a fan of the conceptual style of portraiture for "the president's portrait" to hang in the Smithsonian. In few years it will be as dated as a 60s era split level. I'm more for the more formal classical style as the go to for a much more presidential presentation.

Just once, I'd like to see an abstract portrait. Like a Picasso Trump.

What you meant to say was that he should conform to the style that all the white men before him did. It’s 2018 sir.

VN Store

Back