Megan Barry

It would be totally different coverage if she were a man and or Republican. She has to step down, she was using taxpayers dollars to get banged by a subordinate.

Hey Carl, remember when I told you she was a freak?

Reactions: 4 people
It would be totally different coverage if she were a man and or Republican. She has to step down, she was using taxpayers dollars to get banged by a subordinate.

Hey Carl, remember when I told you she was a freak?

Not sure party has anything to do with this one. The fact that she is a woman though has everything to do with it.

If this were a male mayor having an affair with a female subordinate, it'd be called sexual harassment at best and some type of non-consensual (because the latest talking point is that a subordinate can't consent) relationship at worst, either one resulting in the mayor being forced out with their political career over in an instant.

Instead, she can just apologize and this won't be a story outside Nashville in about 12 more hours.

Reactions: 2 people
Main part of this story is her paying her lover $119,000 just in overtime. Taking trips alone on taxpayer dime. She should resign

Dang look at all the places they went just him and her at taxpayer expense. That’s the bigger scandal. He had $50k in overtime last year “guarding” her.

Reactions: 3 people
Main part of this story is her paying her lover $119,000 just in overtime. Taking trips alone on taxpayer dime. She should resign

Assuming those were all legitimate trips, nothing will come from it. This same guy did security detail for Nashville's previous 2 mayors.

The difference is that when Barry took over his overtime pay went from $30-35k to nearly $60k in her first year, then to $75k in her second year.

If he was having his hours ramped up by virtue of the affair, or via some kind of quid pro quo (he gets paid more, she gets to sleep with him) Barry needs to be charged with a crime. No different than what Robert Bentley did.

Reactions: 4 people
Assuming those were all legitimate trips, nothing will come from it. This same guy did security detail for Nashville's previous 2 mayors.

The difference is that when Barry took over his overtime pay went from $30-35k to nearly $60k in her first year, then to $75k in her second year.

If he was having his hours ramped up by virtue of the affair, or via some kind of quid pro quo (he gets paid more, she gets to sleep with him) Barry needs to be charged with a crime. No different than what Robert Bentley did.

What does a mayor need a security detail for? I bet 90% of people in Nashville wouldn’t recognize her. The people in Greece and Paris certainly have no clue who the f she is.

What does a mayor need a security detail for? I bet 90% of people in Nashville wouldn’t recognize her. The people in Greece and Paris certainly have no clue who the f she is.

I don't disagree. All I'm saying is that the guy she was sleeping with did security for previous mayors, so it isn't like his position was invented for him when Barry became the mayor. It's an actual position that would have existed and he would have been paid for whether or not the affair was going on. That's Barry's defense, and she's correct in that statement.

Like I said before, the red flag is how his overtime pay exploded (more than doubled) once he started doing detail for Barry. She says everything he was paid overtime for was a legit expense. Maybe so, but it has to be investigated, and if some kind of arrangement was going on (she was allowing him to overbook his overtime hours, she decided to go on these official-sounding trips that she wouldn't have otherwise gone on if she wasn't sleeping with him, etc.) then she needs to be charged with a crime.

The arrangement is we’re banging and the buck stops with me so no one is going to question your OT reports. If anything the OT was used to mask the affair.

Reactions: 1 person
The arrangement is we’re banging and the buck stops with me so no one is going to question your OT reports. If anything the OT was used to mask the affair.

Maybe - that's why it has to be investigated. This story shouldn't end today, but I bet it might because the person in charge is a woman and the subordinate is a man.

Come on, she apologized now we should support her with paid time off so her and her husband can work this out.

I don't disagree. All I'm saying is that the guy she was sleeping with did security for previous mayors, so it isn't like his position was invented for him when Barry became the mayor. It's an actual position that would have existed and he would have been paid for whether or not the affair was going on. That's Barry's defense, and she's correct in that statement.

Like I said before, the red flag is how his overtime pay exploded (more than doubled) once he started doing detail for Barry. She says everything he was paid overtime for was a legit expense. Maybe so, but it has to be investigated, and if some kind of arrangement was going on (she was allowing him to overbook his overtime hours, she decided to go on these official-sounding trips that she wouldn't have otherwise gone on if she wasn't sleeping with him, etc.) then she needs to be charged with a crime.

She had the most tone deaf interview I have ever seen.

The fact that her answer to this was "well Metro says the Mayor has to have a detail" is a joke. Metro can't just up and decide on a moments notice that they are going to have a Dignitary Protection Unit for the Mayor. It is set up by the Mayor's office and city council essentially okay it by not legislating any law/ordinance that puts it in place.

While she ain't the first mayor to have a DPU, she could have easily shut it down. The whole "these are Metro's rules" are a joke.

The way I see it is that she was using tax payer money to help fund an affair... and it was an affair with a subordinate.

I don't care if she's female or male, D or R, black or white, etc. She should be out of office and required to pay the money back, or possibly look at doing time for theft.

Reactions: 6 people

They can be legitimate trips and still be problematic. She brought him along, and his role as her head of security would basically mean that he was getting paid OT for every hour of each trip. That would include the time in which he was laying pipe. I really don't see how she survives this.

They can be legitimate trips and still be problematic. She brought him along, and his role as her head of security would basically mean that he was getting paid OT for every hour of each trip. That would include the time in which he was laying pipe. I really don't see how she survives this.

True, but if they can legitimately claim that the mayor's head of security would have gone on those trips whether or not an affair was going on, then she is probably OK. Reprehensible behavior, but not illegal. It is entirely possible (perhaps not likely, but possible) that he was laying pipe within the scope of legitimate security duties that he (or another security person) would have been doing. I.e., he was going to be at that location/meeting anyway.

The only way I see her getting in legal trouble over this is if his OT hours got artificially inflated somehow. E.g., he's banging the mayor, so that allowed him to fraudulently overstate his OT hours and have the mayor sign off on it, or some/all of the trips (the trips to Paris and Athens in particular seem problematic) she normally otherwise wouldn't have scheduled or gone on. The latter might be difficult to prove; presumably there was some kind of conference or meeting she was attending that provides a pretense of an legitimate visit. Our own philandering (allegedly) mayor of Chattanooga went on some trip to Turkey a couple years ago for a "Strong Cities Network Global Summit." That sounds like some BS thing that isn't necessary to attend, but those kinds of meetings do exist.

The optics of his OT pay more than doubling after she became mayor is certainly suspicious and should be looked into.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back