DHS preparing to arrest leaders of sanctuary cities

agreed. they aren't federal agents.

I'm not even going there. I just think state officials should be able to ignore federal law that conflicts with their own without fear of arrest. I'm fine with the feds pulling federal funds as a deterrent.

Reactions: 2 people
The story does not match the headline, or the thread title.

Nonetheless, the notion of criminally charging people over this seems ... unnecessarily heavy handed.

I'm not even going there. I just think state officials should be able to ignore federal law that conflicts with their own without fear of arrest. I'm fine with the feds pulling federal funds as a deterrent.

that's what I am saying, can't hold them to the same standard.

Hey, we can agree on stuff.

The story does not match the headline, or the thread title.

Nonetheless, the notion of criminally charging people over this seems ... unnecessarily heavy handed.

According to Trump, everything but him is a grave threat to his voters.

Gulags for everyone!

Reactions: 1 person

Think of the irony though. Most of these places are raving liberal havens. Liberals are for enforced federalism ... until they aren't. They will argue all day long that a state or local government can't ignore the civil rights of any minority (whether racial or some sort of sexual preference) they choose to represent on any given day. They use federal law to protest statues or words or anything else they hold in any way discriminatory in other states or cities. No one else is entitled to states rights, but they will have their own liberal havens framed by their own views. This is when you have to say what's good for the goose ... and sit back and enjoy the trials and tribulations of people who mock everybody else because they know better than anybody else.

Reactions: 3 people
Think of the irony though. Most of these places are raving liberal havens. Liberals are for enforced federalism ... until they aren't. They will argue all day long that a state or local government can't ignore the civil rights of any minority (whether racial or some sort of sexual preference) they choose to represent on any given day. They use federal law to protest statues or words or anything else they hold in any way discriminatory in other states or cities. No one else is entitled to states rights, but they will have their own liberal havens framed by their own views. This is when you have to say what's good for the goose ... and sit back and enjoy the trials and tribulations of people who mock everybody else because they know better than anybody else.

100%. Both sides are completely hypocritical about their support for federalism. They take it or leave it, based on convenience.

Wow, get ready for another waste of money on a constitutional battle that shouldn't have to be fought. these cities are going to sue the **** out of the federal government and win.
So, would it be okay for Selma, Alabama to defy the Feds, and reinstitute slavery?

Reactions: 4 people
So, would it be okay for Selma, Alabama to defy the Feds, and reinstitute slavery?

It wouldn't be OK whether it was legal or not. If you're asking if it's legal for the feds to enforce the bill of rights on the states, that's sort of a loaded question. The 14th amendment says that it is.

This is not a case about states denying rights tho, this is about whether or not the federal government has the power to compel cities to spend their local government resources on federal priorities.

Wow, get ready for another waste of money on a constitutional battle that shouldn't have to be fought. these cities are going to sue the **** out of the federal government and win.

Then get overturned by the supreme as usual.

The irony of it is not lost on me, I never thought I'd see the day the left is championing states rights.

Reactions: 2 people
It wouldn't be OK whether it was legal or not. If you're asking if it's legal for the feds to enforce the bill of rights on the states, that's sort of a loaded question. The 14th amendment says that it is.

This is not a case about states denying rights tho, this is about whether or not the federal government has the power to compel cities to spend their local government resources on federal priorities.
The City of Selma, not the entire state.

VN Store

Back