The Gender Pay Gap is a Myth

DancingOutlaw

No sloppy, slimy eggs plz
Stop killing the meme thread.

The newest outrage is Marky Mark making more money than Michelle Williams to reshoot scenes sans Spacey the perv. He negotiated a million bucks, she got per diem. I don’t think it helped her case that she said she’d forfeit her salary just to get the movie produced. I find it interesting that Hollywood chooses to look behind its own curtain here and cry foul when it’s very hard to impossible to standardize actors across a payscale.

Reactions: 3 people

The newest outrage is Marky Mark making more money than Michelle Williams to reshoot scenes sans Spacey the perv. He negotiated a million bucks, she got per diem. I don’t think it helped her case that she said she’d forfeit her salary just to get the movie produced. I find it interesting that Hollywood chooses to look behind its own curtain here and cry foul when it’s very hard to impossible to standardize actors across a payscale.

People don't understand basic supply and demand.

Hey girls in Hollywood! Want to get paid more? Well, you know what to do :good!:

Oh yeah and to the women work 39 more hours a year than men do...

That just means it takes them 39 more hours a year for them to do what a man can do in less time.

Reactions: 1 person

You're showing your age calling him "Marky Mark". He hasn't gone by that in 25 years. I haven't seen Michelle Williams complain about what she was paid and so others shouldn't be doing it on her behalf either. This was a very unique situation with Christopher Plummer's re-shoot.

I saw this on the news last night, and a first impression is they are comparing apples and oranges and making this something it isn't. Apparent he is completely replacing Kevin Spacey and she has to be around for selected repairs. I really don't care, but I do care about journalistic bending of facts to make a biased social commentary about the perceived inequalities of life.

Funny how "journalists" have no issues at all with women trading on their assets in dresses leaving little to the imagination and then their subsequent hypocrisy in complaining about being treated as sex symbols. You don't get to have it both ways unless you live in lib fantasy land.

I saw this on the news last night, and a first impression is they are comparing apples and oranges and making this something it isn't. Apparent he is completely replacing Kevin Spacey and she has to be around for selected repairs. I really don't care, but I do care about journalistic bending of facts to make a biased social commentary about the perceived inequalities of life.

Funny how "journalists" have no issues at all with women trading on their assets in dresses leaving little to the imagination and then their subsequent hypocrisy in complaining about being treated as sex symbols. You don't get to have it both ways unless you live in lib fantasy land.

It should be noted that Michelle Williams has not complained about what she was paid for "All the Money in the World." She should be given credit for doing the re-shoot. What if she had refused? She could have sank that movie.

I don't believe that the gender pay gap is a myth, but I also am unsure as to whether this supports it. It could, but it could just as easily be directly tied to contract provisions in the original contract. By way of example if Mark had a tight window in which to shoot this movie and wanted to ensure he did complete it within that window he might have had an escalator in his contract if it ran over. Michelle Williams may have agreed to accept her salary for the time period and scale for anything over the contractual time commitment. It is hard to know what went on in this instance.

Reactions: 2 people
If there really was an outright "pay less for same/better employee" then every savvy employer out there would be almost entirely staffed with females. Wouldn't that just make sense financially?

Reactions: 2 people
If there really was an outright "pay less for same/better employee" then every savvy employer out there would be almost entirely staffed with females. Wouldn't that just make sense financially?

it would also lend a hand, imo, to there being more women owned businesses than male. there is the stereotype to overcome, but if there was a difference in pay it seems like that would be a great motivator.

It should be noted that Michelle Williams has not complained about what she was paid for "All the Money in the World." She should be given credit for doing the re-shoot. What if she had refused? She could have sank that movie.

Torpedo a movie by refusing or re-shoot it? I believe that’s what’s called a career limiting move.

Turns out that the contract that Michelle Williams signed required her to do reshoots. Wahlberg had no such language in his contract.

The highest paid person by several 10's of thousands of dollars in the group I work with is a woman.

Oddly enough she does the least, is absent from work the most, shows up drunk the most, cries and freaks out in the workplace the most...

The highest paid person by several 10's of thousands of dollars in the group I work with is a woman.

Oddly enough she does the least, is absent from work the most, shows up drunk the most, cries and freaks out in the workplace the most...

you could have just said she is a woman...

Reactions: 4 people
Most companies work within a salary bands and pay is determined by years in the job within that band and performance

you could have just said she is a woman...

True.

True story. Where I work and where I used to work have had 6 cases of employees going AWOL (away without leave). The time frames went from a few weeks to 8 months. All employees kept getting paid. No employee was fired. All were women.

One is still AWOL since Thanksgiving.

Most companies work within a salary bands and pay is determined by years in the job within that band and performance

No, no, that’s not how it works. Bosses give big salaries to their guy friends and leave the scraps for the overworked women. Anyone who’s ever done a budget knows.

VN Store

Back