NYC Ball Drop Ceremony

VolsLady-in-FL

Is no one else watching this? Every channel and every live stream I've put on has the same thing...

/Rant incoming, feel free to b**tch at me or agree, I still wish ya a Happy 2018!

So first it was a guy singing a bunch of songs in Spanish. I'm thinking, cool, whatever, it's neat. Different but whatever it's not a big deal. (Fox, CBS, NBC, the official stream on timesquare website, other streams, YouTube, local TV)

Next was a country singer singing in English. (I don't like country but I enjoyed her performance.)

After that was a mayor or something from Puerto Rico. He spoke mostly English but threw in a lot of Spanish at the end. He read 2018 wishes "randomly" from a box and both just happened to be from Puerto Rico and Columbia. I just don't see that being the (true) case... Obviously he cherry picked Spanish wishes.

Then there's a woman singing in Spanish.. again.. And it's like ok... I love culture and all, and I like foreigners a lot personally...

But...... Seriously, it's America. At least 75% (and that's lowballing the number) but 75% at the least that is watching this is ENGLISH SPEAKING. I love seeing the people from other countries in the crowd. The 2 Asian girls looking for a rich young guy were hilarious. Culture and people are funny and unique.

But that's no reason to have multiple, 20 minute, 3-4 song performances in a foreign language that 75% don't understand. If they were singing in Russian or German there would be outrage. But it's Spanish so it's ok. Smh. Annoying.

And Happy New Year's to all and of course the Vols and VFLs :)

Reactions: 5 people
I’m enjoying Steve Harvey doing it on fox. Appears to be no real planning and every segment is weird as ****. It’s like someone dared them to make a show.

I’m enjoying Steve Harvey doing it on fox. Appears to be no real planning and every segment is weird as ****. It’s like someone dared them to make a show.

It's basically an awkward Periscope stream with really good lighting.

To quote the great Unknown Hinson...
If we all want to live as one
Then let's talk American

Reactions: 1 person
Is no one else watching this? Every channel and every live stream I've put on has the same thing...

/Rant incoming, feel free to b**tch at me or agree, I still wish ya a Happy 2018!

So first it was a guy singing a bunch of songs in Spanish. I'm thinking, cool, whatever, it's neat. Different but whatever it's not a big deal. (Fox, CBS, NBC, the official stream on timesquare website, other streams, YouTube, local TV)

Next was a country singer singing in English. (I don't like country but I enjoyed her performance.)

After that was a mayor or something from Puerto Rico. He spoke mostly English but threw in a lot of Spanish at the end. He read 2018 wishes "randomly" from a box and both just happened to be from Puerto Rico and Columbia. I just don't see that being the (true) case... Obviously he cherry picked Spanish wishes.

Then there's a woman singing in Spanish.. again.. And it's like ok... I love culture and all, and I like foreigners a lot personally...

But...... Seriously, it's America. At least 75% (and that's lowballing the number) but 75% at the least that is watching this is ENGLISH SPEAKING. I love seeing the people from other countries in the crowd. The 2 Asian girls looking for a rich young guy were hilarious. Culture and people are funny and unique.

But that's no reason to have multiple, 20 minute, 3-4 song performances in a foreign language that 75% don't understand. If they were singing in Russian or German there would be outrage. But it's Spanish so it's ok. Smh. Annoying.

3sxgvwq.gif

Reactions: 2 people

Wife and I channel surfed but gave up on all of them. They're nothing like they used to be. No fun.

Sooo..since black eyed peas, collard greens and cracklin corn bread is our familys' traditional new years day dinner, I cut up the onion and browned it for the slow cooker black eyed peas and put that in with the peas and cut the fat off the bone and remains of the Honey Baked Ham we had for Christmas for it to go in. Then I fried up the smoked salt pork to go in, but since the salt makes the beans tough ya gotta save that til their almost done. I saved out some salt pork fat to fry up crispy to also go in the cracklin bread with the yellow corn. I like mine with a little kick so I diced a jalapeno then red pepper to give it a red & green holiday feel ..... oh wait
🎉🎉🎉 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! 🎉🎉🎉

🎶🎵🎼Should old acquaintence be forgot and never brought to mind?🎶🎵.......

It's 2018 y'all! 🎉😎🎉

Didn't watch. Don't care.

Don't see why anyone would care.

It's the ultimate in fluff TV. Nobody pays attention until about 11:57-12:02.... unless you happen to channel surf into a Mariah Carey performance and you find yourself marveling at the engineering that went into her costume design.

Reactions: 2 people

I agree. It was the worst "countdown" I have ever tried to watch. I started watching around 11:30 and lasted just a couple of minutes. I finally flipped back around 11:58, watched the ball drop, and then flipped back to Impractical Jokers.

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Multi lingual countries are the norm internationally. We have been the exception. As the world shrinks, we will be more exposed to other cultures and languages.

Deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Now we're starting threads complaining about NYE broadcasts with a language that is 2nd in a nation with no official language.

Godddddd dayum. Whitey is impressive.

Reactions: 4 people
Only an idiot would stand for hrs in freezing temps to watch a ball drop..

They interviewed people who were wearing adult diapers because there’s no bathrooms. So 10 degrees, below zero windchill, and you’re pissing yourself. Imagine how cold that would be after a bit.

They interviewed people who were wearing adult diapers because there’s no bathrooms. So 10 degrees, below zero windchill, and you’re pissing yourself. Imagine how cold that would be after a bit.

Nothing smell better than a frozen deuce

Multi lingual countries are the norm internationally. We have been the exception. As the world shrinks, we will be more exposed to other cultures and languages.

Deal with it.

I know that. I watch Eurovision Song Contest (it's as famous over there as the Super Bowl is here), and I'm a member on Postcrossing.com where you send postcards to and receive from people all over the world randomly and it's great fun (check it out 😁).

My point is that it's a broadcast in America. People in other countries probably aren't watching it. I know America doesn't have an official language but English is still the predominantly spoken one.

People would have been b****ing if they were Muslims singing in Arabic or Sergey Lazarev singing in Russian. But it's Spanish, so it's ok I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

I wasn't talking about race at all. I was talking about language. There are plenty of white people in other countries who don't speak English at all. There are also a lot of people who aren't white but only speak English.

What is racist is that on national TV the Puerto Rican mayor magically pulled out two "random" New Year's wishes from a bin with supposedly thousands of little confetti wishes and got two from Spanish countries. Really?

The Puerto Rican is the only one to get someone from Columbia and Puerto Rico? What luck! I mean God forbid he got Demarcus's wish from New York or Ashley's wish from Illinois. He magically got two people from Spanish countries in a row. I wonder what he would of done if it was a Jewish wish written in Hebrew? Oh wait... Wouldn't happen as this was pre-planned to appear random but really just politically correct bullcrap.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about race at all. I was talking about language. There are plenty of white people in other countries who don't speak English at all. There are also a lot of people who aren't white but only speak English.

What is racist is that on national TV the Puerto Rican mayor magically pulled out two "random" New Year's wishes from a bin with supposedly thousands of little confetti wishes and got two from Spanish countries. Really?

The Puerto Rican is the only one to get someone from Columbia and Puerto Rico? What luck! I mean God forbid he got Demarcus's wish from New York or Ashley's wish from Illinois. He magically got two people from Spanish countries in a row. I wonder what he would of done if it was a Jewish wish written in Hebrew? Oh wait... Wouldn't happen as this was pre-planned to appear random but really just politically correct bullcrap.

You ARE the Trump voter! THE Trump voter.

The resentment seething from you is palpable.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back