Kate Steinlle's accused killer found not guilty of murder

Franklin Pierce

Jurors have found Jose Ines Garcia Zarate not guilty of killing Kate Steinle on Pier 14 in San Francisco in July 2015 in the trial that sparked a national debate over illegal immigration.

Zarate was found not guilty of first and second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. He was also found not guilty of assault with a semi-automatic weapon. He was found guilty of possessing a firearm by a felon.

San Francisco is a sanctuary city, with local law enforcement officials barred from cooperating with federal immigration authorities. President Trump has threatened to withhold federal funding to cities with similar immigration policies, but a federal judge in California permanently blocked his executive order last week.

In a response to the verdict, Attorney General Jeff Sessions released a statement saying that despite California's attempt at a murder conviction, Zarate was able to walk away with only a firearm possession conviction because he was not turned over by San Francisco to ICE.

While Zarate's immigration status brought the case into the national spotlight, jurors did not hear evidence about that, and it was not a factor in the trial.

Kate Steinle’s accused killer found not guilty of murder | Fox News

Reactions: 1 person
What is ICE going to do with him, deport him? The murderer has already been deported five times, but keeps coming back to that Sanctuary City, where Murderers are protected.

Load illegal in helicopter.

Fly just south of border.

Dump illegal out of door.

'Deported'.

Reactions: 3 people
Zarate and his defense team maintained the argument that the suspect found the stolen weapon on the pier that day and it "just fired."

I mean who hasn't had that happen before?

Reactions: 2 people
I was being serious. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a stolen gun and it's just gone off on its own and hit someone. I lost count a long time ago.

So you heard none of the evidence but have a conclusive opinion.

You, sir, are a Trump base voter.

Reactions: 8 people
Zarate and his defense team maintained the argument that the suspect found the stolen weapon on the pier that day and it "just fired."

I mean who hasn't had that happen before?

People find guns all the time. I found a .38 police special on the window sill of a court house restroom into about 1972. I picked it up and turned it in to a judges office. So happens it belonged to the sheriff who was adjusting his uniform and left it there.

If someone not familiar with handguns finds a chambered Glock I can easily see how an accidental discharge could occur.

I'm not defending this guy. I don't know what happened and I am dead set against illegal immigrants. No doubt he shouldn't have been here but it doesn't constitute murder. BTW we can stop illegal immigration without a wall if we really had the will to do so.

Where do you get that the reason he was acquitted was that he is an illegal alien ?

It’s San Francisco. They value illegals over Americans. Did you hear what the defense was?

It’s peculiar how you haven’t gone on a gun rant itt. Considering your postIng history, that’s saying something.

But, I'm sure you think that Judge Roy Moore and Greg Schiano are guilty.

Apples and oranges. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Only a judge or jury get a vote on guilt or innocence.

If it's your opinion that Zarate is guilty that's fine. If he runs for office just don't vote for him.

Apples and oranges. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Only a judge or jury get a vote on guilt or innocence.

If it's your opinion that Zarate is guilty that's fine. If he runs for office just don't vote for him.

Americans don’t vote in Mexican elections so that was a weird ending.

VN Store

Back