What Was Gained by Trump's Visit to China?

MT LeConte

The dust has settled so there should be a clear picture of what the US gained by this visit. OK, I've searched and I can't seem to find anything. Even Whitehouse.gov didn't note any major accomplishments.

During the campaign I seem to remember some pretty strong talk about how Trump was going to set China straight. How China is ripping us off and he is going to put an end to it. All I saw was Donald being coddled and celebrated by the Chinese President. You know, the kind of ego stroking that Donald lives for. Then Donald only offered up praise for Xi and bragged about their warm relationship.

Ok, no mention of tariffs, no mention of China taking our jobs. No mention that they are the "greatest thieves in the history of the world". He did say that past administrations are to blame and allowed this to happen but he didn't say anything like "this stops now". What happened to all bravado we heard for months on end?

Some businessmen that accompanied the President did sign 250M worth of trade agreements. Which Rex Tillerson called mostly cosmetic and were already in the works.

Trump made another fiery speech about NK. But guess what? When Xi spoke he made no mention of anything new in bringing a halt to NKs nuclear and missile programs. Trump failed again.

OK, you guys tell me what was gained.

always amusing when people hating on Trump being crass and brazen also complain when he isn't.

he was over there kissing hands and shaking babies. its called diplomacy. if it bettered our ties or relationships with any of the nations without upsetting more then I would say it was successful.

Reactions: 1 person
The dust has settled so there should be a clear picture of what the US gained by this visit. OK, I've searched and I can't seem to find anything. Even Whitehouse.gov didn't note any major accomplishments.

During the campaign I seem to remember some pretty strong talk about how Trump was going to set China straight. How China is ripping us off and he is going to put an end to it. All I saw was Donald being coddled and celebrated by the Chinese President. You know, the kind of ego stroking that Donald lives for. Then Donald only offered up praise for Xi and bragged about their warm relationship.

Ok, no mention of tariffs, no mention of China taking our jobs. No mention that they are the "greatest thieves in the history of the world". He did say that past administrations are to blame and allowed this to happen but he didn't say anything like "this stops now". What happened to all bravado we heard for months on end?

Some businessmen that accompanied the President did sign 250M worth of trade agreements. Which Rex Tillerson called mostly cosmetic and were already in the works.

Trump made another fiery speech about NK. But guess what? When Xi spoke he made no mention of anything new in bringing a halt to NKs nuclear and missile programs. Trump failed again.

What was gained by Obama's world apology tour? Might as well ask "Why is there air, and why do politicians waste it by breathing?"

I'm not sure. But I hope he was trying to find a way to blunt the problem posed by the dictator whose Trump insult you frequently ape. I hope the problem that Bill Clinton laid at his feet for a feel good pr moment was at top of mind while he was in China.

You either intentionally lied right here or you were ignorant? Which was it?

Speech he gave in Vietnam at APEC Summit, start at 19:10 and ending at 22:33.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7SpE_jVpro[/youtube]

He literally just pointed out how absurd it is to obsess over Barack's family.

You sound ridiculous.

Ras and I were having a conversation and both, you and cwv stuck your proverbial noses in it.

And I was pointing out how absurd it was to obsess over other people obsessing over his family.

VN Store

Back