Police can get your DNA from ancestry sites without your consent

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Police can request your DNA without your knowledge or consent via ancestry websites

It’s not just your DNA cops can request. Even if you haven’t given into the temptation of trying to pinpoint your long lost ancestors, your relatives could also get you in trouble, as was the case for Michael Usry Jr.

Usry Jr was a prime suspect in the cold case murder of 18-year-old, Angie Dodge. The Idaho Falls police got a warrant to use Ancestry’s database to solve the crime. It found Ursy Sr’s DNA, which closely matched DNA at the crime scene. Police then got a warrant for Ursy’s own DNA. In 2017, he was cleared of any involvement in the murder, however.

Reactions: 4 people
Is this a privacy issue? They have been doing this for years with cell phone records.

If they are taking the DNA data and putting it in a database that is concerning, for sure.

Reactions: 1 person
How long does Ancestry keep those records and have they been disclosing that to their customers?

not sure how this is different than any other DNA based warrant.

Don't like they can go after 3rd party individuals to get yours (family). that is janky.

Pshhhh, let’em have at it with mine. There’s so much inbred hillbilly in me they’d have to arrest the whole state of Kentucky 😜.

Reactions: 3 people
The new laws enacted after 9/11 were power grabs. Nothing new; reaction to sensational acts is always great justification when someone can't get there through normal channels. Those in power want more, and they will find a way to get more. It's why any police department in the country wields SWAT teams that rival banana republic armies. Once assumed power is not relinquished.

Reactions: 2 people
The new laws enacted after 9/11 were power grabs. Nothing new; reaction to sensational acts is always great justification when someone can't get there through normal channels. Those in power want more, and they will find a way to get more. It's why any police department in the country wields SWAT teams that rival banana republic armies. Once assumed power is not relinquished.

they still get a warrant. what is different here?

I did the ancestry DNA thing a couple of years ago. Fascinating to learn my roots.
I'm not a criminal and my DNA can't be traced to any crime so why should I worry about this?

VN Store

Back