High School Holds Funeral For Homeless Veteran With No Family Or Friends

Franklin Pierce

High school students held a funeral for a homeless veteran because he had no living friends or relatives left.

Students at Catholic Memorial High School honored John T. Fitzmaurice on Wednesday in West Roxbury, Massachusetts, after he recently passed away on the streets of Boston.

Fitzmaurice was buried Wednesday with full military honors, according to CBS Boston.

The President of Catholic Memorial, Dr. Peter Folan, praised his students for their empathy and benevolence.

The President of Catholic Memorial, Dr. Peter Folan, praised his students for their empathy and benevolence.

'Paying homage to a veteran, to provide the burial rights he deserves, and to honor his legacy, and to help our boys realize that we have to stand with those who are marginalized, those that are poor or those of our community that are cast out.'

He said he hopes when his students graduate they will continue to show gratitude and respect and help those in need.

The students didn't know the veteran personally, they only knew him as John.

One of the students, Will Padden, revealed he was humbled to honor John, especially so close to Veterans Day.

Read more: High school honors homeless veteran with funeral | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Reactions: 5 people
Good story. Kudos to them. In before some liberal says they should have done something for him before he died, instead of after.

Reactions: 2 people
A story like this kind of restores your faith in humanity.
Yes it does. My brother and a couple of his friends paid for a funeral for a homeless Navy WWII veteran survivor of the USS Indianapolis. He was mentally scarred for life from the experience, and drank constantly.

The man's brother rolled into town from Florida in a Cadillac for the funeral, and didn't offer to help with the expenses, so my brother (who was also Navy) and a couple of his friends chipped in about $1,000 apiece to give him a proper burial. Nobody knew he had a brother until then. Pretty sad.

Read up on the USS Indianapolis sometime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yes it does. My brother and a couple of his friends paid for a funeral for a homeless Navy WWII veteran survivor of the USS Indianapolis. He was mentally scarred for life from the experience, and drank constantly.

The man's brother rolled into town from Florida in a Cadillac for the funeral, and didn't offer to help with the expenses, so my brother (who was also Navy) and a couple of his friends chipped in about $1,000 apiece to give him a proper burial. Nobody knew he had a brother until then. Pretty sad.

I have read up on the Indianapolis, and watched the movie starring Nicolas Cage.

Your brother and his friends who helped pay for the veteran's funeral are damn good people.

I have read up on the Indianapolis, and watched the movie starring Nicolas Cage.

Your brother and his friends who helped pay for the veteran's funeral are damn good people.
Thanks. Unfortunately, all 3 have died in the last 3 years. The Navy vet died about 15 years ago.

Reactions: 1 person

Read a book on it years ago... don't recall the name but it was a great read. Chronicled the whole story from the secretive mission to being torpedoed.... the captain's life afterwards and etc

Reactions: 1 person
Good story. Kudos to them. In before some liberal says they should have done something for him before he died, instead of after.

Politicize it! Hurry, you have a chance to distract from a good deed and turn it into an attack on your enemies with the first reply!

Reactions: 5 people

So much irony in this post! LMFAO

It is a good story. Too bad idiots want to make it about politics or ideology rather than simply acknowledging the act. Nice job

Reactions: 4 people
So much irony in this post! LMFAO

It is a good story. Too bad idiots want to make it about politics or ideology rather than simply acknowledging the act. Nice job
Just trying to head you off at the pass. Thanks.

It’s done a couple of times a year here. Believe Rose Mortuary handles the details, quite a few show up out on John Sevier.

VN Store

Back