Feds subpoena former Trump adviser over biofuels push

BowlBrother85

1 star recruit
Investigators have subpoenaed Carl Icahn, a billionaire investor and refinery owner, who served as an adviser to Donald Trump earlier this year. In that role, Icahn supported a proposal to shift the task of complying with the Renewable Fuels Standard's ethanol-blending mandate to a new segment of the production line in a way that benefits refiners.

Icahn is the majority owner of CVR Energy, a refining company. The firm acknowledged in it's own SEC filing that it did receive a subpoena related to the investigation. Icahn stepped down as an adviser in August, prior to that he had been very blunt about his desire to reform the Renewable Fuels Standard telling Bloomberg in March that, "I own a refinery, so obviously I have an interest in it. but there are 12 other refineries getting killed worse than mine."

...and the audacity gets even thicker. He then added this gem: "I own a refinery. Who knows it better than me? Why shouldn't I advocate?"

Let's rid government from billionaire investors seeking to use their influence to further their own personal business interests and enrich themselves. Drain the swamp, right? Yeah, whatever.

Reactions: 6 people
All I know is that I want ethanol banned and anyone supporting it buried - because the only worthwhile use for them would be their decomposition into useful organic material. It makes no sense to waste energy producing a material that when added to gasoline reduces gas mileage.

Reactions: 6 people
That awkward moment when liberals hate trump so much they're willing to allow children to starve to death.

Reactions: 3 people
Investigators have subpoenaed Carl Icahn, a billionaire investor and refinery owner, who served as an adviser to Donald Trump earlier this year. In that role, Icahn supported a proposal to shift the task of complying with the Renewable Fuels Standard's ethanol-blending mandate to a new segment of the production line in a way that benefits refiners.

Icahn is the majority owner of CVR Energy, a refining company. The firm acknowledged in it's own SEC filing that it did receive a subpoena related to the investigation. Icahn stepped down as an adviser in August, prior to that he had been very blunt about his desire to reform the Renewable Fuels Standard telling Bloomberg in March that, "I own a refinery, so obviously I have an interest in it. but there are 12 other refineries getting killed worse than mine."

...and the audacity gets even thicker. He then added this gem: "I own a refinery. Who knows it better than me? Why shouldn't I advocate?"

Let's rid government from billionaire investors seeking to use their influence to further their own personal business interests and enrich themselves. Drain the swamp, right? Yeah, whatever.

Maybe the larger point is that renewable energy is cost prohibitive and mandates are not a good idea

Reactions: 1 person
If this was about feeding the population vs. driving a car the humane thing to do is feed the population but it is not about that it is about corruption.

Maybe the larger point is that renewable energy is cost prohibitive and mandates are not a good idea

This renewable energy you mean where the main use would be for transportation. I don't see this as a viable energy source.

If this was about feeding the population vs. driving a car the humane thing to do is feed the population but it is not about that it is about corruption.

When you burn food for fuel, you increase the price of food.

I know liberals don't understand economics. So I'll be patient with you.

If I owned a non profit (partially supported by government grants) specializing in stem cell growth of body parts for children, and not an energy refinery, should I be allowed to be in an advisory position about stem cell benefits? Also, what would be audacious about me claiming 'who better than me'?

When you burn food for fuel, you increase the price of food.

I know liberals don't understand economics. So I'll be patient with you.

The crops are not grown as a human food is the first thing to consider if you are arguing from the supply side therefore has no bearing on food price. The same is true of crops used to feed livestock. It is not part of the food supply for human consumption.

The crops are not grown as a human food is the first thing to consider if you are arguing from the supply side therefore has no bearing on food price. The same is true of crops used to feed livestock. It is not part of the food supply for human consumption.

Crops grown to raise livestock sure are a part of the human food supply.

Reactions: 2 people

Holy ****, just wow.

Crops grown to raise livestock sure are a part of the human food supply.

livestock is part of the human food supply but the crops used to feed the livestock are not. If you want to eat the crops used to feed livestock I guarantee they are cheaper.

The United States grows over 90 million acres of corn a year, and 99 percent of it is not the kind that humans eat.

livestock is part of the human food supply but the crops used to feed the livestock are not. If you want to eat the crops used to feed livestock I guarantee they are cheaper.

The United States grows over 90 million acres of corn a year, and 99 percent of it is not the kind that humans eat.

What kind of corn do humans eat vs livestock?

Livestock needs to eat so we can consume livestock.

Reactions: 2 people
You need to find a better source. Field corn is consumed by humans in thousands of products, field corn is field corn and traded as a commodity. Almost every time you drink a soda, eat ice cream, bread, ext. has corn in it.

Know what else has corn in it?? :birgits_giggle:

Livestock needs to eat so we can consume livestock.

You need to find a better source. Field corn is consumed by humans in thousands of products, field corn is field corn and traded as a commodity. Almost every time you drink a soda, eat ice cream, bread, ext. has corn in it.

That's good guys. I will concede I don't know as much about corn as you. Was trying to learn on the fly.

In a really f**ked up way you displayed how Carl Icahn corruption and greed can drastically effect the common man's ability to feed his family. I know that was not your intention.

That's good guys. I will concede I don't know as much about corn as you. Was trying to learn on the fly.

In a really f**ked up way you displayed how Carl Icahn corruption and greed can drastically effect the common man's ability to feed his family. I know that was not your intention.

Ok

I don’t know a whole lot about corn. I just know that livestock also eat food.

VN Store

Back