Let's Try Again - Gun Law Changes

volinbham

VN GURU
Since the other threads devolve into the same old crap I figured it was worth one more try.

The rules:

1. Your suggestions should be Constitutional unless your idea is to modify the 2nd Amendment.

2. Explain what your idea is intended to do (e.g. reduce gun murders, reduce mass shootings, etc.)

3. Do some research to see if your idea is already law.

Go.

My partial list:

1. Free background checks for purchases at gun shows. Goal: reduce access to guns for people who can't pass BGC.

2. Free BGC's at local Police Department or "Safe Trade Zone". Make it easier for private sales to have BGCs - see #1.

3. Review with goal of including mental health conditions (confirmed diagnosis) that goes in BGC system. Err on side of limited conditions qualifying for inclusion.

4. Raise penalties on straw gun sales and devote more effort to enforcement.

Each of these is intended to restrict access to those who've we decided should not have access.

Reactions: 4 people
1. Your suggestions should be Constitutional unless your idea is to modify the 2nd Amendment.

They can remove the 2nd Amendment and one still has a right to keep and bear arms. Some courts will allow certain regulations of arm (others no so much), but its pretty limited. I would say some are unconstitutional but its not like the Supreme Court is going to address every problem or case - depends on where one lives.

Generally speaking, the whole "banning" guns is a waste of time.

Your list is okay though. I wouldn't think it would matter much either way though.

Last edited:
The vast majority of gun deaths are suicide. Almost none of the "common sense" gun proposals deal with this in any direct way and many countries with less "gun violence" than the US have considerably higher suicide rates.

The next largest group of gun deaths are related to street crime. Few of the "common sense" gun proposals are aimed at this group.

The active shooter/mass shooting is the smallest category and like TERRORISM it's gets virtually all the attention for "common sense" gun proposals though most of those proposal do very little to prevent active shooter/mass shooter events.

What I listed could help a bit across the board of the above. The broader access to BGCs could help with the street crime issue and the mental health one could help with the first and third categories.

Banning bump stocks (though I don't have a problem with it) is just feel good legislation.

Calls to "strengthen background checks" are meaningless without defining what "strengthening" means.

Banning "assault rifles" might save a few lives in some active shooter situations but they still occurred during the ban.

Reactions: 2 people
My partial list:

1. Free background checks for purchases at gun shows. Goal: reduce access to guns for people who can't pass BGC.

2. Free BGC's at local Police Department or "Safe Trade Zone". Make it easier for private sales to have BGCs - see #1.

3. Review with goal of including mental health conditions (confirmed diagnosis) that goes in BGC system. Err on side of limited conditions qualifying for inclusion.

Each of these is intended to restrict access to those who've we decided should not have access.

1. A few years ago there was a bill to allow gun show promoters to do BGCs at the entrance so that everyone allowed in was a qualified buyer. It was killed in the Senate.

2. I'm good with that.

3. This is probably #1. My guess is if we really examined all of these mass killings we would find a commonality. On or at one time taking some anti-depressant, ADHD drug or other such drugs.

4. Agreed.

The penalty for lying on a 4473 is 10 years fed time and up to $250k fine. The penalty is sufficient, the enforcement appears to be what is lacking.

Reactions: 1 person
Guns are like sex, drugs and rock and roll in the USA. We go through generations where uptight adults attempt to make everything outside of their comfort zone taboo and kids grow up with romanticized, unrealistic Hollywood notions of these forbidden fruits.

The US could learn a lot from Switzerland when it comes to guns and gun culture.

Reactions: 5 people
My partial list:

And this is where the thin end of the wedge can be inserted. Hell, you've already got people wanting to invoke the 25th Amendment on Trump because of an alleged mental illness.

No new laws.

Will mandatory mental health examinations be the next step that the far left will push?

Enforce existing laws.

Remove some of the current laws.

I'd like to know what the stats are for crimes after gun show purchases versus gun store purchases. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't recall shooters having been obtaining weapons at gun shows... seems like it's always from stores.

Changing gun laws will not make a difference IMO. This type of violence is a product of the times we live in. Violence is everywhere, we've been at war of conflict for over 15 years. We kill people in mass by drone and bombing. The president talks of unleashing fire and fury. Our enemies plant bombs and wear vest to kill multiple people. Every mass killing gets mind numbing TV coverage. If you watch regular programing on non cable TV you will see someone murdered every night and you won't bat an eye.

360M people live in the US. If just one in a million goes nuts you have.....well you do the math.

I don't have an answer except to try to be prepared myself for what may come.

Reactions: 3 people
Allow unrestricted open carry and ownership. Revisit in 5 years when old West Justice has had a chance.

No more gun free zones. Every shooting happens at a gun free zone...

This times 1000.

Only the law abiding abide to laws or rules.

If there is ever an outright ban on anything in this country organized crime just grins real big and says..."Suckers!" "Thanks for making us richer!" See prohibition, gambling, prostitution, drugs. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a damn fool.

Reactions: 4 people
I couldn't care less who has a gun free zone. If you want to have a business and declare it gun free, have at it. Don't ***** when you get robbed or shot though.

2 years mandatory military service in Switzerland. I'm all for it here.

At the very least, a civil service of some kind.

Not realistic but I think society would be a better place if any 15-18 year old had to work in a restaurant for a year before getting their DL.

Not realistic but I think society would be a better place if any 15-18 year old had to work in a restaurant for a year before getting their DL.

How about working with a traveling carnival? Lots of life lessons

Reactions: 3 people
They can remove the 2nd Amendment and one still has a right to keep and bear arms. Some courts will allow certain regulations of arm (others no so much), but its pretty limited. I would say some are unconstitutional but its not like the Supreme Court is going to address every problem or case - depends on where one lives.

Generally speaking, the whole "banning" guns is a waste of time.

Your list is okay though. I wouldn't think it would matter much either way though.

Your first point is partially correct and partially incorrect. If there were no 2A, you would have the right to bear arms until the government eliminated or severely restricted that right. Courts would be powerless to overturn such laws unless gun ownership were found to be a fundamental right.

I used to feel that way and then I had a daughter.

Guns are like sex, drugs and rock and roll in the USA. We go through generations where uptight adults attempt to make everything outside of their comfort zone taboo and kids grow up with romanticized, unrealistic Hollywood notions of these forbidden fruits.

The US could learn a lot from Switzerland when it comes to guns and gun culture.

...and the U.S. is not. It's not that their /gun culture/ is different, their culture--period--is far different. They don't have too many yahoos in Switzerland who embrace their ignorance whereas America is teeming with them. And they don't have the poverty that has become a serious problem in America (and yet the Republican agenda consists solely of stiffing average Americans, who have already been stiffed for 25 years in a variety of ways and doing more favors for the rich and corporate America). The poverty has greatly exacerbated mental health issues in this country.

We should ban all handguns and assault rifles in America--period. Get rid of them all: no manufacture, no sale, no importation, supplemented by turn-in programs and confiscation. The yahoos are a major problem because they've allowed themselves to be led around the NRA and other pro-gun groups who value gun sales more than human lives. This NRA/redneck notion that we need more people walking around with more guns is the height of stupidity--insanity.

I lived in Japan--safest country in the world. Why? No guns. And yet we have people who want to argue that more guns will make us safer. These are America's black-is-white conservatives, who've been played by the NRA.

VN Store

Back