US may go back to nuke bomber alert preparedness

lawgator1

EXCLUSIVE: US Preparing to Put Nuclear Bombers Back on 24-Hour Alert - Defense One

BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. — The U.S. Air Force is preparing to put nuclear-armed bombers back on 24-hour ready alert, a status not seen since the Cold War ended in 1991.
That means the long-dormant concrete pads at the ends of this base’s 11,000-foot runway — dubbed the “Christmas tree” for their angular markings — could once again find several B-52s parked on them, laden with nuclear weapons and set to take off at a moment’s notice.

Reactions: 1 person
Not a huge deal IMO

I suppose it does not increase the risk of an accidental use of a weapon, though I don't know why we feel the need to do this, knowing that all it will do is cause the Russians to respond with some upgrade in their readiness.

Its not like we need to have these bombers ready to go in minutes because of North Korea.

I suppose it does not increase the risk of an accidental use of a weapon, though I don't know why we feel the need to do this, knowing that all it will do is cause the Russians to respond with some upgrade in their readiness.

Its not like we need to have these bombers ready to go in minutes because of North Korea.

The only thing wrong with this is making it known. It’s no ones business what’s on alert.

Reactions: 3 people

You far underestimate the controls for the release of nuclear weapons. Bombers especially.

You've got eight hours to call them off. It's not like turning a Minuteman key or a sub launch. Bombers are important because of the time involved to give the orders and second guess yourself.

Rocket Man now KNOWS he will be vaporized should he launch a first strike.

Reactions: 3 people
It’s hugely needed. Russia and China are threats that need to be kept at bay.

You far underestimate the controls for the release of nuclear weapons. Bombers especially.

You've got eight hours to call them off. It's not like turning a Minuteman key or a sub launch. Bombers are important because of the time involved to give the orders and second guess yourself.

Sure, but in that case what's the point of having them be ready to take off in 4 minutes rather than 40?

I'm not sure what deterrent value that gives us.

Rocket Man now KNOWS he will be vaporized should he launch a first strike.

Even if he could get a ballistic missile that was nuclear-capable to threaten a city or a few cities, how could he take out enough our deterrent to even remotely matter?

Sure, but in that case what's the point of having them be ready to take off in 4 minutes rather than 40?

I'm not sure what deterrent value that gives us.

Way more than 40 minutes.

Do you want the info on how it works so far as I can tell you?

How does this work? Are the bombs already strapped on ready to go, or are they stowed away until they've been given the green light?

On sitting alert, the aircraft are loaded and positioned for rapid takeoff.

Here's a video of an alert takeoff. Provided, this is part of an exercise, but real world would be similar.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdrZ1zig-0[/youtube]

On sitting alert, the aircraft are loaded and positioned for rapid takeoff.

Here's a video of an alert takeoff. Provided, this is part of an exercise, but real world would be similar.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdrZ1zig-0[/youtube]

Interesting stuff...

A behemoth of a plane...

big ugly fat fellers (to avoid modding). glad they are on our side. and another case of the military wanting to phase out a completely fine airframe.

Sure.

Both now and if the change is made.

Okay, brief overview. Bombers are part of the nuclear triad and part of what's called the Single Integrated Operations Plan or SIOP. Basically, bombers, missile subs and land based ICBMs are individual parts of this plan. And these plans range from everything including a single use on say, a military target in North Korea, to global thermonuclear exchanges with Russia. Three parts, but the only two parts that are on "alert" at the moment are the ICBM and sub portion. The bomber force is generated as world events and tensions dictate.

Now, at the moment, the bomber force has the weapons locked away in vaults typically at their base and are not uploaded except in emergencies or for exercises. There is no sitting and armed alert force like we had during the Cold War. However, they are still considered part of the SIOP system since they can be uploaded and put on alert status in a "minimum" amount of time.

Now, if (when) they go to alert status, that's sitting alert as the article suggests, they will be armed and uploaded with nuclear weapons (depending on the platform, could be gravity bombs or cruise missiles) and sitting on a five minute alert status. Long story short, crews have five minutes to get to the aircraft and be ready to taxi to launch. Could be four bombers, could be an entire squadron. Anyway...

Many times world events will dictate what targets they have pre-loaded into the aircraft. And furthermore, crews will not know these targets until they are in the air, receive coded communications on where to go and get the "go" codes sent by the National Command Authority (NCA with the President as lead). Furthermore, by law, there is what's called a two person concept. So, Trump cannot unilaterally order a nuclear strike without having at least one other civilian leader (approved by the Senate such as a Cabinet member) concur with the decision. Both individuals send this confirmation to the various command systems (like NORAD or the Looking Glass aircraft) and it gets disseminated from there. There are exceptions to this rule kind of, but only in cases of extreme emergency and overt attack.

Anyway, NCA sends the attack codes and authorization to the military command centers, they disseminate it to the individual aircraft, subs and silo crews to strike.

Now, in all honesty, this alert status is saber rattling with NK. Let's face it, there won't be a lot of targets to be had. I'd guess it likely won't be more than a base and not even a full squadron at that. Keeping these aircraft on alert is time and money consuming. Because it's not just the bombers, but the tankers and other assets that will need to be spun up.

Okay, brief overview. Bombers are part of the nuclear triad and part of what's called the Single Integrated Operations Plan or SIOP. Basically, bombers, missile subs and land based ICBMs are individual parts of this plan. And these plans range from everything including a single use on say, a military target in North Korea, to global thermonuclear exchanges with Russia. Three parts, but the only two parts that are on "alert" at the moment are the ICBM and sub portion. The bomber force is generated as world events and tensions dictate.

Now, at the moment, the bomber force has the weapons locked away in vaults typically at their base and are not uploaded except in emergencies or for exercises. There is no sitting and armed alert force like we had during the Cold War. However, they are still considered part of the SIOP system since they can be uploaded and put on alert status in a "minimum" amount of time.

Now, if (when) they go to alert status, that's sitting alert as the article suggests, they will be armed and uploaded with nuclear weapons (depending on the platform, could be gravity bombs or cruise missiles) and sitting on a five minute alert status. Long story short, crews have five minutes to get to the aircraft and be ready to taxi to launch. Could be four bombers, could be an entire squadron. Anyway...

Many times world events will dictate what targets they have pre-loaded into the aircraft. And furthermore, crews will not know these targets until they are in the air, receive coded communications on where to go and get the "go" codes sent by the National Command Authority (NCA with the President as lead). Furthermore, by law, there is what's called a two person concept. So, Trump cannot unilaterally order a nuclear strike without having at least one other civilian leader (approved by the Senate such as a Cabinet member) concur with the decision. Both individuals send this confirmation to the various command systems (like NORAD or the Looking Glass aircraft) and it gets disseminated from there. There are exceptions to this rule kind of, but only in cases of extreme emergency and overt attack.

Anyway, NCA sends the attack codes and authorization to the military command centers, they disseminate it to the individual aircraft, subs and silo crews to strike.

Now, in all honesty, this alert status is saber rattling with NK. Let's face it, there won't be a lot of targets to be had. I'd guess it likely won't be more than a base and not even a full squadron at that. Keeping these aircraft on alert is time and money consuming. Because it's not just the bombers, but the tankers and other assets that will need to be spun up.

I don't recall the article saying anything about it being one or two bases, but if that is the case, what is the purpose of this now, especially given that land-based or subs can launch in a matter of minutes, reaching their targets in less than a half hour?

I guess I'm just not seeing the value to it in modern times.

The difference is rather immaterial, it’s a show of force more than anything. Everyone knows you’ve got the balls, this is just unzipping your pants to remind them.

I don't recall the article saying anything about it being one or two bases, but if that is the case, what is the purpose of this now, especially given that land-based or subs can launch in a matter of minutes, reaching their targets in less than a half hour?

I guess I'm just not seeing the value to it in modern times.

Again, saber rattling.

That's an opinion. As for how many bases, there aren't that many that have nuclear capable bombers at the moment. Plus, you have a lot of those aircraft dedicated to conventional missions as well.

And honestly, LG, there's a lot of things we do as a nation for show (I just cued in Ras to come screeching about this subject) that don't have "value."

Think about parking an aircraft carrier off the coast of a hostile nation. That's just a show of force.

Or forward staging bombers in the Pacific that we've been doing for some years now. Or increased military exercises in NATO countries like the Baltic States. So on and so forth. This doesn't change the paradigm one bit, but is a show of force.

big ugly fat fellers (to avoid modding). glad they are on our side. and another case of the military wanting to phase out a completely fine airframe.

When I was in college at Berea in the late '80's B-52's would perform low altitude training exercises in the area. It's an incredible thing to witness, a plane that large flying low and fast.

BUFF pilots probably have a few loose screws, but like you, I'm glad they're on our side.

Given KJUs threat to launch missiles at Guam - where I believe we have a squadron of bombers - This makes sense.

There are still a lot of people who believe Slim Pickins is at the controls.

The spelling was on purpose. :)

They are trying to raise the fear levels and hope that the people clamor for more safety at the expense of more civil liberties. Could see this tactic coming a mile away.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back